Nashville, TN
Last edited:

blueis300

Dec 22, 2010
Murfreesboro
tried those files ... no dice :(

exact same issue . pretty strange . Tried with PST also ... no luck :(
bv

I know it seems hopeless but keep trying. I did mine with the gingerbread file. It took several and several times but it eventually took.I have screwed my phone alot and this last time I thought for sure it was bricked. I eventually got it back up.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
tried those files ... no dice :(

exact same issue . pretty strange . Tried with PST also ... no luck :(

I believe your phone is dead. If no power, you either have hardware issue or your bootload is shot. There is a great cell phone deal going on with tigerdirect.com, you may able to get the Charge for $20. Go check it out.

bgorrell

Jan 16, 2010
Unrecoverable soft brick...

I want to pass along my experience with a seemingly unrecoverable soft brick in case others experience this.

My phone has been on Eclipse 1.3 with PBJ 0130 pretty much since they came out. It has also been on the EXT4 file system since the EE4 days. Ran great, fast, no problems until 2 days ago.

I had a random reboot occur just as I was receiving a text message. It then went into a boot loop mode. No problem, I thought, I just went into CWM and cleared cache and dalvik. Still stuck in boot loop, so I did a data wipe. At this point I got the message about the cache volume not being mounted. Mounting it only worked once upon entering CWM, but then would dismount when I tried to clear it. Same thing every time I reentered CWM.

Long story short, I went through complete ODIN restores of EP4, EE4, and ED2, and used the PIT file with each of them. Each time, the phone booted into the system restore and complained of not accessing cache directories. I did get past that on ED2, but it went right into another boot loop. Could not get any further. I repeated these flashes using the Samsung PSTlite utility. Same results.

Last thing I tried was to ODIN CWM again and used imnuts RFS format utility (from the Infinity ROM thread). Same problem. CWM could not format the cache. At this point I gave up, ODIN'd EP4 w/PIT, and took the phone to the Verizon store. They took one look and ordered a replacement. It came with all new accessories, BTW! Bonus.

Anyway, I have a thought that the ext4 format left something behind that was not recoverable after extended use. Trparky mentions this as a potential problem on his Droid Charge knowledge base (http://www.toms-world.org/android/page/whyuseext4.html). I never really noticed the warning anywhere before, but will not be using ext4 on the new phone as a result.

syntrix

Nov 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Find the link in here for the samsung flash utility and the binary off another forum. It's the only thing that has solved this issue for many of us that got stuck with ext4, and the original method here never worked.

Oh wait, they swapped ya, just an FYI for anyone else. :D

bgorrell

Jan 16, 2010
I tried the Samsung flash utility with ED2, EE4, and EP4 images. None worked. It's there another image that does work?

Anyway, got swapped, so all is good. Just gun shy about using ext4 any more. Understand it's not as big of a speed advantage since gingerbread.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Can anyone help with how to do this on a Linux machine? I can run Odin in Qine, but it does not recognize my phone. Any advice. I can get access to a Windows machine, if absolutely necessary.

Odin does not support Linux in any form or fashion. You can possibly do this in Heimdall instead of Odin, but I've never actually messed with it...I know it works in Linux and Mac.

thechaoz

Dec 14, 2011
Argh, followed instructions to T installing tweaked 3.1 (did 3.0 via odin and everything was fine). Went the CWM route and everything was good but stuck on Samsung white lettering screen now. What do I do from here?

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Argh, followed instructions to T installing tweaked 3.1 (did 3.0 via odin and everything was fine). Went the CWM route and everything was good but stuck on Samsung white lettering screen now. What do I do from here?

sounds like a boot loop. did you use the pit file when flashing via ODIN?

thechaoz

Dec 14, 2011
I lost market due to rh-01 error which I fixed a long time ago but don't recall how (i've done everything suggested on several sites). I need to go back to stock as I always get low memory with 120mbs anyway (wouldn't even update an app for 1mb). I am on tweaked 3.2, pbj kernel. My question is I have a bad usb (no mobile odin for charge). If I give this a shot and it fails, I'm not sure I can get it into download mode again via the usb method.

Should I just bite the bullet at risk of bricking my phone? I can't have this happen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Initially, this post was meant to fix people's phones after a bad restore from CWM, but now I'm changing it to be more general and pretty much be a guide for how to fix your phone from nearly any problem. The original reason for this post is this error:
    Code:
    -- bootmode=7 from cmdline...
    -- Movi_check Start..!!
    checksum confirmation need_checksum[0]
    Not need checksum confirmation

--Movi_check already executed!!...

--movi_checking done!...
    # MANUAL MODE #
    It was caused by a problem with /data and this guide helped fix that. Now that several other things have come along (leaks, voodoo, etc.) people are having a host of random errors show up with their phones. This guide will hopefully get you back to a working phone regardless of what is wrong with it. Take note though, that following this guide will delete all data not on the sdcard. So, with that being said, here is how you can fix your phone.

1. Download one of the packages below as well as the PIT file.
    2. Open up Odin, click PDA, and select the package you downloaded
    3. Click on PIT and select the PIT file that you downloaded.
    4. Get your phone into Download mode.
    4a. Pull out the battery, hold down on Vol Down, and plug in the USB Cable while still holding the button.
    4b. After you are in Download Mode, put the battery back into your phone. This increases the reliability of flashing with Odin
    5. Make sure your phone is recognized in Odin
    6. Check the box for Re-partition (Odin will fail if you check this and don't use the PIT file) and un-check the boxes for Auto-Reset and F. Reset Time.
    7. Press "Start" and flash the package.
    8. After it is finished flashing, take the battery out, unplug the USB cable, put the battery back in, and start up what should now be a working phone.

Download descriptions. There are 3 files linked to below. The first is the PIT file, and required for this. The PIT file is the partition information table. It tells your phone where different packages go on the phone, as well as how big partitions are on the phone. Without this information, Odin cannot properly re-partition your device. The next two files are more or less the same and you will only need one of the two, not both (unless you want them just for fun). There is ED1, which is what the phone initially shipped with, and ED2, the update that was released just after the phone was. The ED1 package may be a little bit smaller for those that are concerned about download size as it is compressed. However, you will need 7-zip or similar to extract it after downloading. Also note that this cannot be done with Heimdall as Heimdall does not have the ability to re-partition your phone, thus, you need a Windows computer to be able to follow this procedure.

All packages are available here.
    For those of you sitting on a hard brick,(no bootloader, no nothing) I just heard from MobileTechVideos. They are making some progress...fingers crossed he can fix it

Yes I have spent hours trying to map points. It will be a challenge if at all possible. I found an island of 10 pads that are what I believe to be the JTAG points but I’m not totally sure either. Mapping the points is always an absolute challenge. I will be talking with the RIFF JTAG team tomorrow to see if they have any samples of this board. Once the points are mapped, I should be able to purchase a working Charge, read the full 512NAND then flash the bootloader zones to yours to revive it.

However this is all very very tough work as the Charge doesn’t have the standard JTAG map that many Cortex A8 Samsung models have that I had originally been hoping to see!

Needless to say it’s been a project. I’ve been here since 7-12PM researching with this board... ;)

Also, this is the type of work that’s required in working towards a world’s first when no documentation on JTAG exists for this model.
    Haven't been able to make it work using the newfs_msdos command. Either hangs indefinitely or errors out like in my previous post.

Anything else I should try before sending the old one back?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

I am pretty much out of ideas. Nothing is going to work if you can't get changes written to the partitions. You probably will want to do one last flash with EE4+PIT and let it boot as far as it will. Wouldn't want CWM to come up if they turn it on.
    Updated this with what I believe to be the proper steps. I was in and out at work while papi was fixing his phone, and lost track of the exact files used, but some combination of the above Odin packages and the PIT should get you back to a working phone if you are having a problem.