Charging + TOMTOM = Problem

Search This thread
Aug 17, 2007
Zaragoza
Hi to all!!.
Let's see if someone out there can give me a reason or a solution for my problem.:confused::confused::confused:
This weekend I went on a long trip and I found that if I use my TomTom while charging the Kaiser (regular car charger) at some point the PDA stopped charging and showed the "low battery" icon. The only way to get it charging again is doing a soft reset (with the device unplugged) and then plugging it again.
This is quite annoying since it's impossible to do this while driving since I need the GPS to get to my destination (this is the reason to have GPS, right!?)

any solutions??? I would be eternally gratefull if someone gets me out of this!
Thanxs in advance.:)

Wilhelm

Dec 1, 2007
What is the current rating of the charger? When I used a cheap charger made for the RAZR I couldn't keep a positive charge when using GPS and sometimes it would stop charging and I'd have to disconnect and re-connect it. Didn't have to reset though. I suggest you get a higher current charger made for the Kaiser.

megsoftRTP

Sep 17, 2007
marc

I had this problem too and I simply changed the charger. Also, make sure that you see the "charging" icon with the electrical cord displayed when the device is connected.

hmmr

Dec 5, 2005
I've had similar problems using several different car chargers.

When looking at the charger specs, I saw they all had a 1000mA current maximum. When I found a HTC charger for the TYTNII I immediately looked at the specs, and behold: 2000mA max. current :)

With the HTC 2000mA charger I haven't had any problems sofar. A week ago I drove 3000km using my TYTNII with tomtom and Charging/navigating went fine.

Aug 17, 2007
Zaragoza
Yes... that may be the issue, I'm not using a cheap charger, I'm using the cheapest charger I could find!!!! jajajaja :D
And in fact it was done for the V3 RAZR... so... I'll try not to be so mean and buy a good one!.
I will tell you if this worked!... Many thanxs!! ;)

wesocp

I thought this was just happening to me as no-one posted about it 'til now!
Mine is from mobilefun, supposedly fine for a Kaiser, but i guess it's not.
There's no details on the product page about what current it can draw, but at £7 i think i may need a better one.

Can anyone point me to a site that quotes the rated mA for their products?

It's definitely the charger. I got 2 cheap ones from overseas for about $1 and I use it to charge up my psp and kaiser. The home adapter can't charge up the psp but only the phone and the car adapter can charge up both at the same time with no problems. And its using the exact same cable as well. So its definitely the adapter.

weasel

Apr 13, 2005
I agree 100% - I bought a cheap charger from eBay, but it would not charge the phone when using TomTom - and barely hold the charge when playing MP3s. I replaced witha genuine HTC charger and everything is fine

Flying Kiwi

Dec 10, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Your mileage with HTC original chargers may vary

The idea of using an original HTC charger for some reason seems popular here. The original charger that came with my 'sealed box' TyTN II lasted 4 charges (about 2 weeks as I'd charged by USB cable the rest of the time) before it made a loud click and the light extinguished for the last time. When I called HTC to ask whether a different model of replacement could be provided I was told I would only receive another charger of the same model. Not wanting to have the possibility of regular failures (and this thing did look cheap and nasty), I bought a different charger for £8.95 and that ones been going fine since. The one I now have is shiny and black (matching the TyTN II casing perfectly) and it came with a set of different interchangable 'prong adapters' so I can use it in the UK, USA, Europe and Australia:)

For a multiband top of the range phone like the TyTN II, why didn't the manufacturers supply these in the first place. My rating of the original HTC TyTN II charger that came supplied with my UK sourced device in Sep 2007 is 0 out of 10:(

Starfury

Feb 10, 2007
I bought a 300W inverter from Maplin for £20 and use the three pin plug charger that I use in the house... :)

sphinx88

Aug 22, 2005
I've had similar problems using several different car chargers.

When looking at the charger specs, I saw they all had a 1000mA current maximum. When I found a HTC charger for the TYTNII I immediately looked at the specs, and behold: 2000mA max. current :)

With the HTC 2000mA charger I haven't had any problems sofar. A week ago I drove 3000km using my TYTNII with tomtom and Charging/navigating went fine.

Could you let us know where you got this charger? I think I am running 700mA in the car, which is a SLOW charge... Thanks for the help...

hmmr

Dec 5, 2005
I've bought the charger in a local store, but after some googling, i found it HERE

If you click on the picture to enlarge, you can just make out the max current (2A) on the label.

Using HTC part no. 81551 should give you plenty of results :)

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Well mine also just developed this problem. Drove 130 miles in one day a couple of weeks ago (using Tomtom) and my old tytn 1 car charger worked fine. Then a week ago drove 40 miles using same charger and when I got where I as going I found the battery was almost flat and the phone was really hot! So did a search and found this appears to be a common problem with this phone. (Although I can't understand why it worked fine when I did the 130 mile drive!)

Anyway have taken the plunge and bought a genuine HTC car charge. First off, as others have said, I can confirm that it has a 2amp rating (my other one was rated at 1amp). Went out with it for the first time today for a short journey to a shop to test it using Tomtom. After 5 mins it did the same as my old one, the charging light went off and battery stopped charging. However after my shopping (bought something for my kids who have chicken pox currently!) I went for a 15 min drive and it worked ok, actually charging throughout and increased my battery by about 3% (from 74% to 77%).

So the upshot is - I don't know what the heck is going on - could be that my battery or phone got itself into a mess with the first charger and took a while to recognise the new one - or it could be an intermittent problem!

What I do know is that I am shortly doing a 1000mile round trip and I need it to be reliable - so will do more testing over the next few weeks and let you all know how it goes. Its still under guarantee so any more nonsense and it will go back.

In the meantime if anyone has any further info on this please post.

Cheers

Barney

tony.wheeler

Feb 25, 2005
Swindon
Well mine also just developed this problem. Drove 130 miles in one day a couple of weeks ago (using Tomtom) and my old tytn 1 car charger worked fine. Then a week ago drove 40 miles using same charger and when I got where I as going I found the battery was almost flat and the phone was really hot! So did a search and found this appears to be a common problem with this phone. (Although I can't understand why it worked fine when I did the 130 mile drive!)

Anyway have taken the plunge and bought a genuine HTC car charge. First off, as others have said, I can confirm that it has a 2amp rating (my other one was rated at 1amp). Went out with it for the first time today for a short journey to a shop to test it using Tomtom. After 5 mins it did the same as my old one, the charging light went off and battery stopped charging. However after my shopping (bought something for my kids who have chicken pox currently!) I went for a 15 min drive and it worked ok, actually charging throughout and increased my battery by about 3% (from 74% to 77%).

So the upshot is - I don't know what the heck is going on - could be that my battery or phone got itself into a mess with the first charger and took a while to recognise the new one - or it could be an intermittent problem!

What I do know is that I am shortly doing a 1000mile round trip and I need it to be reliable - so will do more testing over the next few weeks and let you all know how it goes. Its still under guarantee so any more nonsense and it will go back.

In the meantime if anyone has any further info on this please post.

Cheers

Barney
I too have had similar problems. Bought a quality Brodit (Active) car holder with charger and it seems to charge for only about 30s-1min. The orange charge light only stays on for a short while and then then battery runs down!

Interestingly the charge indicator on the screen always shows that the device is being charged whilst connected in the car - even though the orange charge light has gone out. I've posted this in the general area for kaiser and also in the ROM area applicable (Dutty's WM6.1 Hybrid v2 5.2.19716/5.2.19700) in case it may be ROM specific.

Another person reports no issue with the same charger as mine and the same ROM - it's all very annoying because there would seem to be too many complaining about such issues. The output amperage may be the issue but surely the Brodit (which is good quality) charger should be fine?

I will post whan I get this issue solved but I wonder if there is something in the Registry that can cause such issues too - I agree the output limitations are also of relevance (I just cannot believe that this is my issue).

Barneyabz

Oct 22, 2005
Well I have been using the official HTC charger for a month now without any problems, only thing I would say is that my journeys have all been short (under an hour at most). however using my old charger it would die after a much shorter period so problem does seem to be resolved.

cheers

Barney

gidim

Oct 19, 2007
Temperature

Hi.

I had the same problem, with a different GPS software. Check the temperature of your device ( you can use a software called " Battery Status ". In my kaiser it never showed me a bubble ( like some other ROM ) that it reached 47C and then the phone automatically stops the charge.
The heat is from actual charging + the sun. I have a window mount and the phone was on it when I was charging. Take all into account and you will see that it will over heat quite fast.
I solved the problem by putting the phone in a shaded place when charging it. It also helped if its next to the vent, but don't cool it to much, because if you do then when you use the AC and you go out, some of the connectors of the phone will get corrosion on them ( SIM, USB, SD etc.) .

Good luck.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
There are 2 reasons: The first just got mentioned, overheating by the combined effect of the device heating up itself and other factors like the sun. If the battery heats up too much, the safety system will stop charge, and the battery will then be drained until empty. No soft reset needed, but the device has to be cooled to the appropriate temp and the charger disconnected/reconnected. I was also having that issue when using my older Hermes with 3G sharing over wifi and downloading hard, even with the battery cover removed and the keyboard open the device was heating so much on itself it would cause that. The Kaiser seems to heat less when doing the same BTW.

The second is that when using a common charger (not HTC branded), even if it is rated at 2 amps the phone won't be drawing those 2 amps from it but will limit itself to about 500mA.
The reason is simply that it's being charged from a USB port, and a USB device is not allowed to draw more than 500mA from a USB port. HTC chargers have a chip inside and tell the phone that they are official chargers from which the phone may draw more. Without that identification the phone stays in low current mode.

On the Hermes it was even simpler, if you connected a generic charger it would not charge at all. It would only accept charging from an active USB port it was able to have a communication with, or the original charger.
So, use original HTC chargers when current draw is high. The Kaiser with GPS, full backlight and a GPS program running will draw something pretty close to the 500mA.

Last edited:

jackleung

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 10, 2005
USA
I used to be cheap on charger too until I used the battery sucker Dell Axim x51v (612mzh, VGA, BT) on my car. The I brought the 2A ecovell usb charger and my problem solve.