[tutorial]**Fix for recompiling framework-res with apktool** 4/15/2012

Search This thread

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
Greetings

i do not have have a one x but i have come up with a solution for the errors in apktool when recompiling framework-res.

i have a rezound and have run sense 4.0 on my phone. the screen res is also very similar to the one x.

there are four xmls in values that need to be rewritten.

anims.xml
layout.xml
a small change in plurals.xml
and raw.xml

the change made in plurals has to be made in all the foreign language plurals if you want to keep the languages. you can however delete them if you like. the framework i am posting has the plurals fixed for all languages though.

i am posting also my version of apktool which i have modified to properly smali htc apks.

to begin.

download the apktool linked here
unzip and place the folder wherever you want on your computer.
pull framework-res.apk and com.htc.resources.apk from your rom and place in the apktool folder

open a command window to apktool. (right click on your apktool folder and hit shift at the same time. one of the options will be to open a command window.)

type apktool if framework-res.apk hit enter
then type apktool if com.htc.resources.apk hit enter

now your needed dependencies are installed.

type apktool d framework-res.apk framework hit enter.

note im naming the out folder framework. you can name it anything you like.

this will create a decompiled framework-res. i named the folder framework so there will be a framework folder in your apktool folder now.

go to res/values anims.xml

change this

<anim name="htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator">@anim/zzz_htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator</anim>

to this

<item type="anim" name="htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator">@anim/zzz_htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator</item>

go to res/values layout.xml

change this

Code:
<layout name="htc_list_item_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_2stamp</layout>
    <layout name="htc_list_item_2text_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_bright</layout>
    <layout name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</layout>
    <layout name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</layout>
    <layout name="htc_list_item_imageicon_text">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_text</layout>
    <layout name="htc_list_item_separator">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_separator</layout>
    <layout name="keyguard_screen_device_unlock">@layout/zzzz_keyguard_screen_device_unlock</layout>
    <layout name="pin_keyboard">@layout/zzzz_pin_keyboard</layout>

to this

Code:
<item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_2stamp</item>
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_2text_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_bright</item>
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</item>
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</item>
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_text">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_text</item>
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_separator">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_separator</item>
    <item type="layout" name="keyguard_screen_device_unlock">@layout/zzzz_keyguard_screen_device_unlock</item>
    <item type="layout" name="pin_keyboard">@layout/zzzz_pin_keyboard</item>

go to res/values plurals.xml

go to line 79

change this

%d of %d

to this

%1$d of %2$d

now remember every foreign language plural needs that change or just delete them.

go to res/values raws.xml

change this

<raw name="fallbackring_htc">@raw/zzzz_fallbackring_htc</raw>

to this

<item type="raw" name="fallbackring_htc">@raw/zzzz_fallbackring_htc</item>

now when all of the plurals are changed or deleted ( do NOT delete the plurals in res/values. that has to be changed.)
type apktool b framework hit enter. this will build your apk.

here are the res/values xmls modded already to make this easy.

download here replace the existing decompiled xmls with these.

now when you decompile to make further changes you will find that three of the xmls

anims.xml
layout.xml
raws.xml
compile back to their original format so save the modified decompiled xmls

this is the modified framework

framework-res

please post any issues

Last edited:

rayford85

May 22, 2011
Nice to see you here Fern:) I did the same as your guide yesterday. Very simple fix. Now if we can solve resources....:p

Reactions: fernando sor

mike1986.

also keep in mind that:

<item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@lay out/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</item>
<item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layou t/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</item>

XDA is doing space in "layout", so warning for users: don't just copy-paste!

Reactions: Patrics83

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
also keep in mind that:

<item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@lay out/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</item>
<item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layou t/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</item>

XDA is doing space in "layout", so warning for users: don't just copy-paste!

Yeah thanks for pointing that out. Also the xmls are posted. I just thought people would want to know the fix.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Reactions: Patrics83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings

i do not have have a one x but i have come up with a solution for the errors in apktool when recompiling framework-res.

i have a rezound and have run sense 4.0 on my phone. the screen res is also very similar to the one x.

there are four xmls in values that need to be rewritten.

anims.xml
    layout.xml
    a small change in plurals.xml
    and raw.xml

the change made in plurals has to be made in all the foreign language plurals if you want to keep the languages. you can however delete them if you like. the framework i am posting has the plurals fixed for all languages though.

i am posting also my version of apktool which i have modified to properly smali htc apks.

to begin.

download the apktool linked here
    unzip and place the folder wherever you want on your computer.
    pull framework-res.apk and com.htc.resources.apk from your rom and place in the apktool folder

open a command window to apktool. (right click on your apktool folder and hit shift at the same time. one of the options will be to open a command window.)

type apktool if framework-res.apk hit enter
    then type apktool if com.htc.resources.apk hit enter

now your needed dependencies are installed.

type apktool d framework-res.apk framework hit enter.

note im naming the out folder framework. you can name it anything you like.

this will create a decompiled framework-res. i named the folder framework so there will be a framework folder in your apktool folder now.

go to res/values anims.xml

change this

<anim name="htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator">@anim/zzz_htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator</anim>

to this

<item type="anim" name="htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator">@anim/zzz_htc_ime_decelerate_interpolator</item>

go to res/values layout.xml

change this

Code:
    <layout name="htc_list_item_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_2stamp</layout>
        <layout name="htc_list_item_2text_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_bright</layout>
        <layout name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</layout>
        <layout name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</layout>
        <layout name="htc_list_item_imageicon_text">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_text</layout>
        <layout name="htc_list_item_separator">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_separator</layout>
        <layout name="keyguard_screen_device_unlock">@layout/zzzz_keyguard_screen_device_unlock</layout>
        <layout name="pin_keyboard">@layout/zzzz_pin_keyboard</layout>

to this

Code:
    <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_2stamp</item>
        <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_2text_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_2text_bright</item>
        <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_image_2text_image_bright</item>
        <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_2text_2stamp</item>
        <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_imageicon_text">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_imageicon_text</item>
        <item type="layout" name="htc_list_item_separator">@layout/zzzz_htc_list_item_separator</item>
        <item type="layout" name="keyguard_screen_device_unlock">@layout/zzzz_keyguard_screen_device_unlock</item>
        <item type="layout" name="pin_keyboard">@layout/zzzz_pin_keyboard</item>

go to res/values plurals.xml

go to line 79

change this

%d of %d

to this

%1$d of %2$d

now remember every foreign language plural needs that change or just delete them.

go to res/values raws.xml

change this

<raw name="fallbackring_htc">@raw/zzzz_fallbackring_htc</raw>

to this

<item type="raw" name="fallbackring_htc">@raw/zzzz_fallbackring_htc</item>

now when all of the plurals are changed or deleted ( do NOT delete the plurals in res/values. that has to be changed.)
    type apktool b framework hit enter. this will build your apk.

here are the res/values xmls modded already to make this easy.

download here replace the existing decompiled xmls with these.

now when you decompile to make further changes you will find that three of the xmls

anims.xml
    layout.xml
    raws.xml
    compile back to their original format so save the modified decompiled xmls

this is the modified framework

framework-res

please post any issues
    Very nice tutorial Fern, I'll be coming along as well. I like seeing some of the names in here, very comforting knowing there will be some really good devs on the ONE X. Look forward to some of the new stuff I can learn.
    Can you send me the X com.htc? Then I can double check, whether I can also fix it. Maybe apktool creates other issues with the added xhdpi folders, but I can check that if you send me the stock file.

Send from my One S
    Great job ferno!!!!

That sucks. One of our guys themed resources image by image running them all thru draw 9 patch tool One by one :eek::eek:

I felt sorry for him :p

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Well I wouldn't say all of them, but quite a few :p

I was able to add a lot of them to a different resources.apk and decompile.

Sent from my HTC Flyer.

I was just about to say do just that. lol. Throw the 9.png in a decodable resource.apk (or any apk for that matter) and decode. There is also a handy Mac and Linux tool for decoding 9.png :)
    Thx and received - decompiled successfully, fixed all issues and now waiting to compile...

TOUCHDOWN :D

I will upload the apk later, I randomly changed a few color values to ICS blue, so you`ll see it worked all fine. System seems to work for all Sense 4.0 ICS com.htc.resources

1. Fix Layoits.xml as described
    2. Delete zero_dummy_dimen in public.xml

I will check later with stock com.htc.resources from One X, but I`m very confident I will see the same result ;)

If only someone could fix bloody m.10`s - that is the sole reason I focus on mods atm, not on full Themes, since without having access to m.10 files Themes will not have the quality I need. Good news is, Sense 4.0 is visually so much better, then old versions.

Edit: Here`s a new thread, that addresses this and more fixes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25817188#post25817188