A Few Things I've Learned After Ripping my Hair Out!!

Search This thread

umlaaat

Nov 3, 2011
Make sure you have the latest version and Reflash it. Wipe user data/factory reset then follow the instructions in the OP. If you still have dropped call issues try another modem.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

So the issues with dropped calls and not connecting to the net are getting consistently worse.
I think its something to do with the modem?

I don't remember it being this bad on stock OS.

Is there something I can do about this??

btw. I'm now using vb-fb-build-3.

Thanks!!!

Bassmanjames

Jun 3, 2011
San clemente ca
Vb by fb uses the kg4 modem. The stock one is kj6. There are cwm flashables for modems only in the Dev forum somewhere.

twisted03

May 26, 2012
I just want to say that this is what I like to see...all the vets being patient and helping...I got the same welcome and continue getting from all you guys... But I'm kinda glad I don't have a mac after reading this...lol

To the Op...hope your hair grew back...lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V

Fluidification

Feb 26, 2011
I've never had a single problem on mac. I use OS X Lion.

I use heimdall instead of ODIN. I don't have to work hard, in fact, I personally believe it's easier since I don't have to worry about drivers and etc.

umlaaat

Nov 3, 2011
I just want to say that this is what I like to see...all the vets being patient and helping...I got the same welcome and continue getting from all you guys... But I'm kinda glad I don't have a mac after reading this...lol

To the Op...hope your hair grew back...lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V

lol.. no i just sport a wig now... kinda like a ben franklin-vibe

umlaaat

Nov 3, 2011
Click on the "modems" link in my forum signature.

man... i really dont want to mess with odin via my mac and etc...
I've got your rom working and can install more roms via clockwork mod and/or other apps... is there a way to try out any other modems this way (without having to go thru odin, just loading it into the phone and installing that way)?

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
man... i really dont want to mess with odin via my mac and etc...
I've got your rom working and can install more roms via clockwork mod and/or other apps... is there a way to try out any other modems this way (without having to go thru odin, just loading it into the phone and installing that way)?

if you check out FB's link, those modems are also CWM flashable. You just need to grab the one(s) you want.

umlaaat

Nov 3, 2011
ok folks.. so after going thru hell and back several times, i've come to the conclusion that although I love the speed. I can't deal with applications freezing, random phone reboots and really really bad radio...

I've tried to replace and boot just the radio and its pretty much the same.

And although it was way slower stock, the phone did what it was supposed to, which is act like a damn phone....

How can I bring this back to the way it was before i stated frankensteining it?
ie, How can I make this stock/factory again?

Manumission

Mar 25, 2012
Great! u da man... read thru it but cant seem to find... can I "install" this via CWM?

No, it's not a CWM-flashable package - rather, you download it to your computer, put your phone in download mode, and hit the button. The full instructions are in the OP at that link, right under the first screenshot of the One-Click menu.

umlaaat

Nov 3, 2011
No, it's not a CWM-flashable package - rather, you download it to your computer, put your phone in download mode, and hit the button. The full instructions are in the OP at that link, right under the first screenshot of the One-Click menu.

will this work for Mac?
ok. is there a way to keep it rooted while in stock?

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
will this work for Mac?

Yes, as long as you have Java installed.

ok. is there a way to keep it rooted while in stock?

Once rooted, you are technically no longer stock. Stock = the way it comes from the factory. If you're asking about being rooted without installing a custom ROM, then yes. You would just need to use SuperOneClick to root the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Can I install GB with ODIN?
    2. Whats the difference btw using ODIN and Heimdall?
    3. Are odin, heimdall and clockwork mod the same thing (ie they are all used to flash roms)?
    4. Just to be on the safe side, i should install GB first before flashing any ROMS otherwise i go into "Rainbow Brite" mode?
    5. Once i goto GB and once the phone is rooted, I'm pretty much good to go as far as flashing different ROMs?
    6. Is the difference btw FROYO and GB the same as Windows XP and 2000 (OS 10.3 vs. 10.6 for my Mac ppl)?

1. Yes. although personally I would still use heimdall even if you have to run a parallel
    2. Personal preference. I find heimdall easier. I give my other opinions on the subject in my guide. reference post 2.
    3. in the sense you are asking yes.
    4. You should ensure froyo boot loaders for froyo ROMs and GB boot loaders for GB ROMs. We have both.
    5. you can flash a ROM via heimdall or Odin no matter the state of your device as long as you can bout to download mode. To flash with cwm you must have cwm recovery installed. In the case of this device it it's included in custom kernels.
    6. Although this is not entirely true, for most that is a good comparison yes.

thanks for this man.. VERY informative..

ok, so the objective is to load the custom kernal with Heimdall.. got it.
    Can i load the kernel with ODIN?

Once the kernel is in, I have CWM and once THATS in, I can use just cwm by itself, without a computer to flash ROMS...?
    If so, does it matter if its GB or FROYO?

I'll give you my take... I have yet to successfully flash with Heimdall and Odin has been very simple for me. But just as with Heimdall you have to read up and do all you need to do to use Odin which I felt was not much.

Yes, once you have flashed the gb stock rom with gb bootloaders and CWM you can use your phone only to flash CWM flashable custom gb roms. I have not even considered going back to froyo so I don't know firsthand what is involved flashing back to froyo but I have skimmed dozens of threads on how to do that.

Get your custom kernel with CWM and gb bootloaders and forget the rest unless you screw up using CWM somehow. Then you will need Odin or Heimdall again. Just read the OPs. They put the information in there for a reason. Make sure it is a CWM flashable rom. And enjoy!

Edit: My problem with Heimdall derived from the redistributables. Was never able to get past it. Wasn't sure if Heimdall only worked with 32 bit and not 64 bit redistributables or whether it mattered. Whether it worked with the most recently released redistributables or only 2010 redistributables it says it needs on the website. After installing three different redistributables I gave up. Maybe I gave up because Odin was so good to me... who knows.

Edit 2: Yes the redistributables comes in a simple .exe file to install on Microsoft's website.
    Your Help

Heimdall or ODIN are programs used to flash Samsung made roms that have 6 basic files. Kernel(zImage), /System(Factoryfs.rfs), /data(data.rfs), Modem(Modem.bin), Primary Bootloader(boot.bin), and Secondary Bootloader(sbl.bin).

Custom roms are made by us. We take their files, hack and mod them to our liking, add root(the ability to change the system while using the phone), and flash them.

In order to flash the custom roms, we either repack the modded files into the factoryfs.rfs to flash via ODIN or Heimdall, or we do the easy one we flash via CWM which doesn't need a computer.

CWM is a type of android recovery. Recovery is used for stock android (AOSP) phones to be given updates. Samsung doesn't do so, they make us use Kies. The reason samsung still has recovery is because android requires it for booting, also if you need to wipe data or etc. Recovery is the only way to do so.

The purpose of CWM is tor replace the stock recovery with one that can flash custom made zip files that aren't signed by Samsung, as well as do additional features.

The android recovery on this device is embedded into the kernel. That is why CWM requires us to flash a different kernel.

I hope you learn from this.
    So because I'm on a mac, i've gotta work 3 times as hard to get anything done..

but now with paralells running, things might get easier.

i tried to get my phone (froyo) onto gingerbread.. and it was working but glitchy.. then it stopped altogether.. i figured out the only way to get it unbricked was to go back to what it was originally via odin.

I'd like to get back to gb and check out all the roms, but dont want to waste more time..

so what i want to know is:

1. Custom roms are to be installed either (as in only) Odin or CWM?
    2. If the Rom is GB, can it be installed on a phone thats running on Froyo (and vice versa)?
    3. If #2 is true, I have to install GB before I do anything...?
    4. Can I install GB it via Odin?

so before anyone jumps down my throat, A THOUSAND APOLOGIES for THIS NOOBISH BEHAVIOUR!!!

ok..

thanks! :)
    1. Custom roms are to be installed either (as in only) Odin or CWM?

No. Custom ROMs can also be installed via Heimdall.

2. If the Rom is GB, can it be installed on a phone thats running on Froyo (and vice versa)?

Yes, it can. The catch is that the ROM you install must have the proper GB boot loaders, else you'll end up with the "rainbow" screen or boot looping. Ditto for downgrading from GB to Froyo; you want to make sure the ROM has the right boot loaders.

3. If #2 is true, I have to install GB before I do anything...?

Not necessarily, but possibly. If your custom ROM has the right boot loaders (only important when going from Froyo to GB and the other way around - going from one GB ROM to another doesn't matter) then you don't need to flash a stock GB ROM first. I'm a fan of flashing stock, wiping all of the caches (cache partition and Davlik cache), then flashing a custom ROM. That might be extraneous but I feel it gives me a cleaner slate from which to start.

4. Can I install GB it via Odin?

Surely, as long as it has the right boot loaders or if you're already on GB.

so before anyone jumps down my throat, A THOUSAND APOLOGIES for THIS NOOBISH BEHAVIOUR!!!

Nah, no jumping down your throat. Your questions are quite valid.

Quite welcome. Like one of the other posters said, the one-click methods are great for flashing. They utilize Heimdall, which is an open-source alternative to ODIN. They also only require you have Java installed to use them as they come packaged with Heimdall. Heimdall is cross-platform and is available for Windows, MAC, and Linux.

Best of luck.