[Q] Please help - bricked?

Search This thread

wm388

Sep 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
www.kanyewest.com
I have been tearing my hair out for like six straight hours now... so first I started with completely stock 12B.

Here is what I did.

1) Root using ioroot method
2) Install TWRP using FreeGee (which I'm now reading caused this entire mess god damnit)
3) Go into TWRP and format data to get ready to flash stock rooted debloat
4) Accidentally format sdcard so I have to get my rom zip back onto my phone
5) adb push keeps failing because rom file is so big so i flash a smaller size AOSP rom which boots
6) MTP transfer my stock rom zip file to my phone
7) go back to TWRP, wipe everything again (except sdcard obviously) and flash the stock rom
8) stock rom hangs at boot logo for ~20 minutes so i force restart, try again three times
9) go back into TWRP, TWRP starts not flashing things and telling me I have a partition error
10) TWRP isn't working for me anymore so I try a revert back to stock (verizon .tot) method posted here using LG Flash Tool
11) Fails twice
12) Phone has no more TWRP and only download mode

My questions
1) Is this phone totally screwed because it is the replacement I just got for my old one and I can't even unroot it to get another replacement (using manufacturer warranty, no verizon warranty)
2) Is there a way to get back to clean slate stock or even flash anything (TWRP, etc.) with only download mode available

I cannot function without my phone and I am very stressed right now somebody please help

EDIT: tried doing reset to stock KDZ method and it passed but when i reboot the phone i'm still stuck with only download mode, no recovery, and nothing past the LG logo. still the same....

turn on phone, see LG logo, immediately see download mode. now at least the LG logo doesn't hang but now it's the download mode,.

Last edited:

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I have been tearing my hair out for like six straight hours now... so first I started with completely stock 12B.

Here is what I did.

1) Root using ioroot method
2) Install TWRP using FreeGee (which I'm now reading caused this entire mess god damnit)
3) Go into TWRP and format data to get ready to flash stock rooted debloat
4) Accidentally format sdcard so I have to get my rom zip back onto my phone
5) adb push keeps failing because rom file is so big so i flash a smaller size AOSP rom which boots
6) MTP transfer my stock rom zip file to my phone
7) go back to TWRP, wipe everything again (except sdcard obviously) and flash the stock rom
8) stock rom hangs at boot logo for ~20 minutes so i force restart, try again three times
9) go back into TWRP, TWRP starts not flashing things and telling me I have a partition error
10) TWRP isn't working for me anymore so I try a revert back to stock (verizon .tot) method posted here using LG Flash Tool
11) Fails twice
12) Phone has no more TWRP and only download mode

My questions
1) Is this phone totally screwed because it is the replacement I just got for my old one and I can't even unroot it to get another replacement (using manufacturer warranty, no verizon warranty)
2) Is there a way to get back to clean slate stock or even flash anything (TWRP, etc.) with only download mode available

I cannot function without my phone and I am very stressed right now somebody please help

EDIT: tried doing reset to stock KDZ method and it passed but when i reboot the phone i'm still stuck with only download mode, no recovery, and nothing past the LG logo. still the same....

turn on phone, see LG logo, immediately see download mode. now at least the LG logo doesn't hang but now it's the download mode,.

1) Probably not

2) Yes, using the method you've attempted already. Make sure you validate your download and follow all the steps carefully in the guide.

wm388

Sep 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
www.kanyewest.com
1) Probably not

2) Yes, using the method you've attempted already. Make sure you validate your download and follow all the steps carefully in the guide.

I've repeated carefully with multiple downloads, but I deduce I have the following problems.

1) Partition error with TWRP caused by FreeGee and probably deleting my /sdcard/ partition or something idk

2) My attempts at returning to stock have removed TWRP in place of download mode for some reason so I can't do recovery

3) Something is wrong with download mode because it's not being effective in the .tot or .kdz return to stock methods

4) I don't even know what's going on anymore I'll sleep on it and come back tomorrow

thanks for the quick response. I think I'll just see if i can pin this on the replacement guys and get a replacement.

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I've repeated carefully with multiple downloads, but I deduce I have the following problems.

1) Partition error with TWRP caused by FreeGee and probably deleting my /sdcard/ partition or something idk

2) My attempts at returning to stock have removed TWRP in place of download mode for some reason so I can't do recovery

3) Something is wrong with download mode because it's not being effective in the .tot or .kdz return to stock methods

4) I don't even know what's going on anymore I'll sleep on it and come back tomorrow

thanks for the quick response. I think I'll just see if i can pin this on the replacement guys and get a replacement.

After you used the lg flash tool did you do a factory reset?

Sent from my VS980 4G

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I can't do a factory reset because I can't get into TWRP / the page that says hit power three times to do a factory reset now leads to download mode instead of teamwin splash

Then the flash tool didn't take. I've used it three times now and after the flash says its successful, you take the USB out of the phone and use the hardware keys to factory reset.

Instead of going to twrp as it usually does, it actually does the factory reset. If you don't do that then it bootloops till you do. The flash tool doesn't remove everything to make it factory stock.

Sent from my VS980 4G

Reactions: wm388

wm388

Sep 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
www.kanyewest.com
Then the flash tool didn't take. I've used it three times now and after the flash says its successful, you take the USB out of the phone and use the hardware keys to factory reset.

Instead of going to twrp as it usually does, it actually does the factory reset. If you don't do that then it bootloops till you do. The flash tool doesn't remove everything to make it factory stock.

Sent from my VS980 4G

hitting the three power buttons leads to download, not TWRP like before. Also, using LG Flash Tool reults in "LAF Property setting failed"

thank you for your help

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 2 XL
hitting the three power buttons leads to download, not TWRP like before. Also, using LG Flash Tool reults in "LAF Property setting failed"

thank you for your help

I doesn't seem like you're pressing the right button combo to get into the Factory hard reset menu.

Do this:

1) Power the phone off completely (press and hold the power button until the phone shuts off).
2) Press and hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time.
3) When the LG logo comes up on the screen, let go of the power and volume down buttons, then press the power and volume down buttons at the same time again until the Factory hard reset menu comes on the screen.
4) Once in the Factory hard reset menu, press the power button twice to factory reset the phone.

If you already knew this, then I apologize.

Last edited:

wm388

Sep 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
www.kanyewest.com
I doesn't seem like you're pressing the right button combo to get into the Factory hard reset menu.

Do this:

1) Power the phone off completely (press and hold the power button until the phone shuts off).
2) Press and hold the power and volume down buttons at the same time.
3) When the LG logo comes up on the screen, let go of the power and volume down buttons, then press the power and volume down buttons at the same time again until the Factory hard reset menu comes on the screen.
4) Once in the Factory hard reset menu, press the power button twice to factory reset the phone.

If you already knew this, then I apologize.

Yeah, when I do that I get the download mode "firmware update" screen. previously it would lead to TWRP, but now it leads to firmware update screen.

ty

wm388

Sep 2, 2012
Chicago, IL
www.kanyewest.com
New update: I finally got 11A .tot to flash, but booting it was really unstable, kept rebooting / blank screen of death like every time I tried to get in. Finally became slightly more stable when I took the SIM card out, used WiFi to download 12B update using OTA. Installed OTA and now it's hanging at the "Updating software 2/2" page at 35% (the page with the beautiful picture of the lush green grass and the blue sky). I'm just going to leave it for a night plugged into the wall and see where it goes, maybe it's frozen, maybe it's not.

Probably it is. In which case I'll probably have to force reboot and I'll wake up to a host of new problems.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't do a factory reset because I can't get into TWRP / the page that says hit power three times to do a factory reset now leads to download mode instead of teamwin splash

Sent from my VS980 4G