(Tip) Disable proximity sensor

Search This thread

jamus28

Mar 17, 2011
I almost always used the power button to hang up. Is there any way to edit the call screen and rearrange some of the buttons? Or any custom screens/apps? I would love a custom call screen with a tiny "end call" button in the corner, and a big speaker button in the middle.

smartov

Nov 7, 2011
UksusoFF solution worked like a charm for CM7 on Nexus One. Proximity sensor is disabled now. Now screen doesn't go blank when I dial someone and is easily turned on with trackball.

Last edited:

rami78

Apr 4, 2011
CM9

would this work with CM9 as well? (the alpha builds currently in dev section)? thanks:)

jtbrown3

Jan 1, 2011
If you on CM7 or 6 put file from #25 post, and go to Settings - CM Settings - Input and check on "Trackball wake". And now, after call screen will be wake up by pressing trackball and\or power button

Hi Aria Fans,
I just wanted to report that I just successfully tested the suggested fix from post #25 on my Aria loaded with CM7.1.0 [9-Oct-2011] (I had the same amazingly frustrating issue with the faulty proximity sensor and the screen blanking during calls).

You can use either ADB or Root Explorer to copy the <userinit.sh> script file into the \data\local\ directory (you will of course need root access). Just reboot after copying the file. I also recommend selecting the "Trackball Wake" setting as well.

Wow, is all I can say - I now have a usable phone!!

Reactions: cyrusalmighty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tomween1, fmac,
    try put this file (unzip first!) to /data/local/ it must be work in CM7 or maybe lower...
    Ultimate Solution

OK people thanks to UksusoFF 's help and my own Linux background i was able to have my phone fixed and running. No more screen going offs & phone locks!!

I see that many of you had asked for a step by step process on working with the command line for disabling the proximity censor right?:cool:

Well here it goes folks , the complete step by step:

1 - You have to be ROOT to complete this task so ROOT your phone (There are many links on google on HowTo ROOT your phone so do it!!!)
    2- Open the Emulator on your phone.
    3- Type su - and make sure that $ sign changes to # meaning you are the ROOT User now and can make serious changes to your device's system.

4- Insert the following commands in the Emulator

# cd /data/local
    # touch userinit.sh
    # echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > userinit.sh
    # echo "#" >> userinit.sh
    # echo "chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602" >> userinit.sh
    # echo "chmod 000 /dev/cm3602" >> userinit.sh
    # chmod 777 userinit.sh

5- Now verify that the file exists
    # cat userinit.sh (You should see the information inserted above appearing).

6- Restart your phone

If you have done it right , your phone should be fine now. Starting now You will be in charge of turning on/off your screen instead of the proximity censor.

Hope it works for ya:rolleyes:

Cheers!:p
    Guys, I made a post about this (no solution yet)... I thought I was the only one with this strange problem, are you experiencing something similar to this?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=971300
    yep same problem
    system/etc/init.d contains files that contain scripts.

Do I add
    Code:
    chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
    in a new file?
    I created new file userinit.sh in system/etc/init.d with
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #
    chmod 0000 /dev/cm3602
    chmod 000 /dev/cm3602
    and chmod 777 it.
    Also, before I do this, can anyone confirm that this script won't brick my phone but will do as mentioned - turn off the proximity sensor?

Thanks.
    Yes, i use this solution for a long time, and no problem. Maybe it disable something else but i not to notice.
    I have that same problem. i cant wake the screen up to end a call. Do you know a fix?
    If you on CM7 or 6 put file from #25 post, and go to Settings - CM Settings - Input and check on "Trackball wake". And now, after call screen will be wake up by pressing trackball and\or power button

Hi Aria Fans,
    I just wanted to report that I just successfully tested the suggested fix from post #25 on my Aria loaded with CM7.1.0 [9-Oct-2011] (I had the same amazingly frustrating issue with the faulty proximity sensor and the screen blanking during calls).

You can use either ADB or Root Explorer to copy the <userinit.sh> script file into the \data\local\ directory (you will of course need root access). Just reboot after copying the file. I also recommend selecting the "Trackball Wake" setting as well.

Wow, is all I can say - I now have a usable phone!!