[Q] New Z1 Straight Out Of The Box. Now What?

Search This thread

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
Just got my brand new Z1 (C6903), SIM and bootloader unlocked (SI 1276-0471.2), and have booted it for the first time. It is running 14.1.G.1.518, shows 1 system OTA system update available to 14.2.A.0.290 and a number of OTA app updates available.

I'd like to root, install custom recovery (preferably dual) and back up the phones original state including TA partition, then move on to updating to a 4.4 Kitkat build, probably stock as I will leave the bootloader locked for the moment.

Despite having worked on (rooted etc.) 2x Xperia SPs, I have read through the many Z1 rooting threads and ultimate guides and I have no idea where to start. Most rooting threads start with downgrading, which I shouldn't need to do, there are usually multiple methods for each firmware version and most don't seem to root the currently installed ROM (especially the newer firmware versions), they require a ftf file (of unknown SI number) flashed over the current ROM. There doesn't seem to be a way to retain a firmware version with the correct SI number for my phone.

I think I read that Bin4ry's rooting method is the best for this firmware. Is that right? The dual recovery seems as though it could be problematic, will it be overwritten when I update or flash an ftf file? Once I root the original .518 firmware etc. what do I do next to get to rooted Kitkat (.757)? Is it possible to get a rooted 4.4 stock ROM with the same SI number? Should I actually be bother with such details?

I could really use some clear advice on the best way to proceed.

Last edited:

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
This is what you need to get to a 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 ROM with Root. For 4.4.4 look further down the post. This is for locked bootloaders.
Code:
For unlocked bootloaders on ANY FW just flash a custom kernel of your choice suitable for the FW you are on then install chainfires SuperSU either from the play store or from his website in a flashable zip (Google it)

1) Flash any FTF file ending in 534 (Find files and instructions in the mega collection thread in the general section)
2) Install the latest dual recovery (Find files and instructions in the XZDR dual recovery in the cross device development section)
3) Install a pre rooted 4.4 ROM of your choice (Find files and instructions in the development section)

No need to root, no need to unlock the bootloader, hence also no need to back up the TA partition.

At the end of the process you will be on KitKat and rooted.

Here is @shem2409 brand new video showing you step by step how to root and install the newest recovery on bootloader locked Sony Xperia Z1 Android 4.4 based on [NUT]'s guide:

For 4.4.4 just update to 4.4.4 via PCCompanion or flashtool and then look at this
http://prntscr.com/3zl4vx
or this
http://prntscr.com/4009mp

Last edited:

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
1) Flash any FTF file ending in 534 (Find files and instructions in the mega collection thread in the general section)
2) Install the latest dual recovery (Find files and instructions in the XZDR dual recovery in the cross device development section)
3) Install a pre rooted 4.4 ROM of your choice (Find files and instructions in the development section)

Many Thanks for the swift response, thats about as clear as it gets. But I did notice most ROM's install instructions say to root 534 before installing recovery and most require a kernel only ftf to be flashed after flashing ROM. Should I follow the ROM's install instructions?

Just for my own knowledge, there is a Generic UK 534 firmware ftf listed but not with the same SI number as mine. Should I worry about never being able to return the phone to full "just-out-of-the-box" condition?

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
If you do not install dual recovery then you will have to root the 534 firmware
Installing dual recovery on 534 roots the firmware at the same time

You can flash any 534 FTF as long as its for your model of phone (C6902/3/6 etc), the SI number does not matter

As my instructions said at each step you will find files and instructions in the relevant threads, please follow them.

AgroCPU

Aug 15, 2013
Cologne
i upgraded it to .757, then installed doomkernel and flashed supersu.zip...thats my rooting method on qct based devices ^^

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011

You can flash any 534 FTF as long as its for your model of phone (C6902/3/6 etc), the SI number does not matter

As my instructions said at each step you will find files and instructions in the relevant threads, please follow them.

Thanks again, that dual recovery is a godsend. Much like yourself. Couldn't find any details on what Wipe and Exclude options to set in flashtool for the 534 flash. Seems logical to exclude TA but I don't know.

I have read some stuff about losing IMEI when flashing with flashtool but that seems to occur when downgrading.

Last edited:

jplempka

Apr 28, 2014
This is what you need to get to a 4.4 ROM with Root.

No need to root, no need to unlock the bootloader, hence also no need to back up the TA partition.

Hi,

I flashed the FTF file ending in 534 but now my phone is just continuously rebooting, is this normal? How long does it take?

Thanks

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Hi,

I flashed the FTF file ending in 534 but now my phone is just continuously rebooting, is this normal? How long does it take?

Thanks

It shouldn't bootloop

Make sure you picked the right 534 file
it should be the same one for your phone

i.e. c6902 or c6903 or c6906

Just flash another one

jplempka

Apr 28, 2014
It shouldn't bootloop

Just flash another one

Sorry. The other thread can be deleted. I definately picked the right 534 file. I'm trying again, Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

:good::good::good:

I'm now on step 2. If I'm not mistaken, I just have the phone plugged in with a USB cable and then run the install batch file?

jplempka

Apr 28, 2014
Hi,
I'm having some difficulty on flashing 0.757 using TWRP. I select the file and press flash but my phone just reboots.

Any ideas?

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
Thanks gregbradley. Your advice was spot on. Especially big thanks for explaining everything so well, it made it easy. Have installed Xposed and set about tweaking 757. Its looking real good.

rafhagunz

Mar 15, 2013
Rondonópolis
c6943

I have the version C6943, what FTF i install, ??no have ftf ending 534 for C6943, Please help , Thanks!

Aj.GaLaxY aCE

Dec 23, 2011
Bengaluru

I want to install rom aur 8.0
after downgrading to .534 and installing Dual recovery by window installation method -->>I have to flash the rom -->> but in thread section it says again install recovery- why??

when i see XZDR cros development thread it says flash some fix zip

So as per instruction after installing pre rooted firmware---
1. I have to flash dual recovery fix flashable zip
2. I have to flash dual recovery zip
3. install kernel baseband c6902 ---- HOW TO INSTALL KERNEL BY FLASHTOOL???
4.reboot

please help.

abbychauhan

Dec 20, 2013
JAIPUR

Sorry to quote the whole thing..
1. U say flash any FTF - Any FTF or Stripped FTF of the same device model will do?
2. If i flash Generic FTF then I wont be having Root and Recovery then How am i gonna install Dual Recovery?

Also i know its not related but can u suggest me.. My phone is unable to focus.. I was on AOSP ROMs from so long.. Now i flashed NUT Stock ROM 757 via Recovery and Everything is smooth and good except the Camera is not Focussing..
I read somewhere that if Running Camera Problems then downgrade to 534 and do the whole process and then Come to 757.. Is it true?
Also we need a Good Tutorial for Coming to AOSP from STOCK and Vise versa with proper links and Support can u do it? Because i have seen People who come to AOSP from Stock run into different types of problems, mostly the solution is Downgrading and Doing the whole process.. I know u have the knowledge to do that what say?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is what you need to get to a 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 ROM with Root. For 4.4.4 look further down the post. This is for locked bootloaders.
    Code:
    For unlocked bootloaders on ANY FW just flash a custom kernel of your choice suitable for the FW you are on then install chainfires SuperSU either from the play store or from his website in a flashable zip (Google it)

Here is @shem2409 brand new video showing you step by step how to root and install the newest recovery on bootloader locked Sony Xperia Z1 Android 4.4 based on [NUT]'s guide:

For 4.4.4 just update to 4.4.4 via PCCompanion or flashtool and then look at this
    http://prntscr.com/3zl4vx
    or this
    http://prntscr.com/4009mp

Hi,

Thanks

It shouldn't bootloop

Just flash another one
    You already have it if (It may be called philz on your phone)

Just reboot and press volume up instead of volume down to go into Philz/CMW recovery
    Hi,
    I'm having some difficulty on flashing 0.757 using TWRP. I select the file and press flash but my phone just reboots.

Any ideas?

use CMW, press volume up on reboot to enter it