It's official - no ICS for X2 from Motorola and Verizon

Search This thread

iBolski

Well, it's official now per the Motorola Android Software Upgrade page: the X2 will STAY on the GB kernel (v2.3). No ICS for us. :mad:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

This, coupled with Verizon's attempts to shoo me away what with killing the "New Every Two" program, charging a $30 fee for "free" upgrades, and now taking away the grandfathered unlimited data plan and you can bet once ALL the contracts are up on my Verizon plan, I'm switching to Sprint.

Verizon and Moto can flounder for all I care. I'm going either HTC or Nexus. Luckily, the Nexus is on Sprint so I can get an unlocked bootloader which will be nice.

Last edited:

RyanThaDude

Jul 20, 2011
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2 XL
Honestly, who saw this coming? Typical Motorola. Yet more reasons not to buy Motorola. F'em!

If Sprint would cover our area like VZW does I'd switch in a heartbeat. Living in the sticks sucks.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Well, it's official now per the Motorola Android Software Upgrade page: the X2 will STAY on the GB kernel (v2.3). No ICS for us. :mad:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Verizon and Moto can flounder for all I care. I'm going either HTC or Nexus. Luckily, the Nexus is on Sprint so I can get an unlocked bootloader which will be nice.

Stay away from HTC. I have had two of their devices. never got an update beyond a minor maintenance. Locked bootloaders and all the baggage from Sense tagging along in the kernels and framework usually keeps them from getting useful updates or custom work even from 3rd party. ANd they are bleeding red ink and going down in quality as well as customer support. Notice their flagship phones no longer even have SD card slots.

Last edited:

Jayydude_SGP

Jan 5, 2012
Gates County, NC
Stay away from HTC. I have had two of their devices. never got an update beyond a minor maintenance. Locked bootloaders and all the baggage from Sense tagging along in the kernels and framework usually keeps them from getting useful updates or custom work even from 3rd party. ANd they are bleeding red ink and going down in quality as well as customer support. Notice their flagship phones no longer even have SD card slots.

I'm guessing you've never heard of an HTC ONE X, or the HTC EVO 4G LTE??? Beats Audio, 4G, huge screens, amazing cameras, AND the SD card slots are under the battery genius -_-

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Premium App

Omega360

Apr 19, 2012
Ohio
google.com
Not surprised at all, I knew this phone was doomed when it took so long to get it up to 2.3.4.
Oh well, now we wait for CM9 (and I wait for another upgrade) :p

Cameron1337

Mar 29, 2012
Indiana
"Droid X2 - Will remain on Android 2.3" That is until Dragonzkiller gets done with it. lol

Thats why I feel nothing good will ever come from carriers and manufacturers. They give us the device and service and it is the GREAT DEVELOPERS that give us the good stuff.

As I said before, it's sad that a single hobbyist can do what an entire development team cannot. They're doing this solely so that people upgrade to their new phones.

The Droid X2 isn't even a year old. This is completely ridiculous. I am never buying another Motorola phone again.

Stuckinabox

Dec 6, 2011
It'd be nice if they'd be honest and just put "Lazy/can't handle the bloatware."

Also, Q3 for everything except the newest phones...disgraceful.

Cameron1337

Mar 29, 2012
Indiana
It'd be nice if they'd be honest and just put "Lazy/can't handle the bloatware."

Also, Q3 for everything except the newest phones...disgraceful.

Yep. As said, I'm just pissed that the X2 isn't getting ICS even though it's ONLY ELEVEN MONTHS OLD.

Any recommendations for a good phone company that unlocks their bootloaders and supports their phones?

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
I'm not too upset I suppose. This confirmation just means that this X2 is the last Motorola phone I'll ever buy.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I'm guessing you've never heard of an HTC ONE X, or the HTC EVO 4G LTE??? Beats Audio, 4G, huge screens, amazing cameras, AND the SD card slots are under the battery genius -_-

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Premium App

Beats audio .....LMAO, that sak-o-$ht that HTC spent $300 mil on? That 's one of the reasons they are losing money and their stock is tanking... genie...

Guessing that you have never seen this?
HTC One x and One S specs.
No MicroSD card slot and non-removable battery. Is that cheapo or what?
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-series-comparison

Last edited:

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
It is now time for you guys to flip off Verizon and Motorola by showing what a single dude accomplished which several of their so called software engineers failed to accomplish or are unwilling to accomplish!!! Off to Verizon and Motorola twitter feeds!!!

RyanThaDude

Jul 20, 2011
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2 XL

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
29dyddi.jpg
qm.gif

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts