[HOW TO] Flash on Nexus 7

Search This thread

johnmurrayvi

Mar 23, 2010
I saw this yesterday and thought I'd share:

http://www.nkonecny.com/blog/2012/07/19/adding-flash-to-nexus-7/

Download Adobe Flash Play 11.1 apk here or download it from XDA Developers. After the file has downloaded open and install it.
Please be sure that “Install from unkown sources” is checked off in the Android settings for the Nexus 7.
Install Firefox Beta browser from the Android Market.
That’s it, now you have Flash support on your Android 4.1 (JellyBean) Google Nexus 7 tablet! Couple things to note:

1. This will NOT work with the current build of Google Chrome. A dev may fix this in the future but Google nor Adobe will be adding Flash support to any future builds of Android. I’ve also tried: ICS+ Browser and Dolphin Browser HD, both of which don’t work with the method used above. FireFox seems to be the only browser currently that works with the flash plugin in Android 4.1.

2. that by default FireFox Beta has plugins set to on demand which can cause some minor inconviences, however you can remedy this by going to:

FireFox Beta settings (three dots to right corner) -> Settings -> Plugins -> Select: Enabled

After flash was installed, I just had to quit completely out of Firefox (top right menu -> quit) then reopen it and it worked fine.

illcat2000

May 30, 2010
Tampa, Fl
The posted apk will also allow flash content on the stock browser as well. Great post thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009
What do you mean it will allow flash on the stock browser? Do you mean flash will work on chrome? Is this apk an different than the other flash apk's that have been posted in the last couple days?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

James-NC

Jul 14, 2012
Durham
Flash works good with the new Puffin browser as well.I tried several others but this one worked the best for me.

lfeuln

Feb 8, 2012
If you want to use flash websites just use dolphin hd

To head off the inevitable....Flash will not work on the Play Store version of Dolphin as they disabled it on Jellybean. You'd need to side load an older apk.

Firefox Beta and xScope Browser from the Play Store do however work providing you side loaded Flash.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

illcat2000

May 30, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Well this version does work on my nexus 7 and the stick browser kinda.... I notice on certain sites the video freezes at some point while playing 8 out of 10 times. Doesn't at all on my gnex. So it works just not well with some sites not sure why.

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
Hi Nexus 7 owners....

I'd just like to share my personal experience on the issue...
I tried 3 browsers with the above version of flash.

1.dolphin hd
2.firefox beta
3. puffin

Now, for dolphin, it is fast, but if you try to press that little square icon that takes you to fullscreen mode, the browser crashed every single time at least for me.
As far as puffin is concerned, it was the worst because the videos were laggy and it didn't even respond to the fullscreen icon. (must admit though loading times on this thing, if you dont care about the flash issues, are blazing!!!)
Firefox although loads heavy pages by far the slowest, was the only one from the three that had no lag and the fullscreen icon worked!!! So, until now, thats my choice for flash vids.

What I did notice on all of them, was that the sound of the vids was pretty lower than usual. Anyone else witness this????

Oh, and another thing so there wont be misunderstandings...
There are other ways ofcourse to do the whole flash thing, MAYBE even for stock browser from what a friend tells me, BUT that requires rooting the device. (just for the record)

Many thanks to XDA and everyone else and please share your thoughts on the sound issue and also if you find a browser that does the job like firefox beta, but FASTER! :)

zlewe

Jan 16, 2012
Sungai Petani
Do you guys try flashify in market? It uses is like this:
1.whenever you open the flash page with chrome
2.press share
3.choose flashify
4.choose another browser that got flash

It's easy so you no need to use firefox all the time because it's really slow

Sent from my E15i using xda premium

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
concerning firefox beta

Unfortunately, although I stated that firefox beta was the only browser that the fullscreen icon on flash video, worked without crashing, that is not the case anymore after the last update on Oct 11, 2012.
If anyone can post the apk of the previous version I would be oblidged.

Ps. Flashify does come in handy if one wants to keep chrome as deafault browser (which is advised) and simply switch to a flash capable browser like firefox without copy-paste but with a couple of clicks.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Ok, problem solved. Although I dont see many N7 owners too troubled with this issue, I did make a few more "test drives" and it seems like firefox beta version 16.0 is the one to go with. (Along with the rest of the steps pre-mentioned here, that goes without saying.)
Fullscreen works and generally it seems less laggy than any other. (concerning flash videos ofcourse.)
The apk can easily be located via google.
Download directly from the tablet, install it and.... happy flash and with fullscreen working fine!

Unfortunately, although I stated that firefox beta was the only browser that the fullscreen icon on flash video, worked without crashing, that is not the case anymore after the last update on Oct 11, 2012.
If anyone can post the apk of the previous version I would be oblidged.

Ps. Flashify does come in handy if one wants to keep chrome as deafault browser (which is advised) and simply switch to a flash capable browser like firefox without copy-paste but with a couple of clicks.

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
Boat browser works with flash, quite well enough.

Sent from a galaxy far away!

You are right Jesse!!! Boat does also work well and has a few features and options that firefox beta doesnt! Thanx a lot!!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

By the way, do you know why the forum looks terrible and without the same colors and ui as pc or as from my galaxy s3? Do I need to download something else specific for nexus 7?

hello_world.c

Jun 3, 2011
AuroraX for me, works a lot better with some critical sites than Firefox for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

jnovello

Aug 3, 2010
Las Vegas
Using an older version of Dolphin on my SG3. On the N7 Firefox plays, but with no sound. Going to look into this Boat one...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw this yesterday and thought I'd share:

http://www.nkonecny.com/blog/2012/07/19/adding-flash-to-nexus-7/

Download Adobe Flash Play 11.1 apk here or download it from XDA Developers. After the file has downloaded open and install it.
    Please be sure that “Install from unkown sources” is checked off in the Android settings for the Nexus 7.
    Install Firefox Beta browser from the Android Market.
    That’s it, now you have Flash support on your Android 4.1 (JellyBean) Google Nexus 7 tablet! Couple things to note:

1. This will NOT work with the current build of Google Chrome. A dev may fix this in the future but Google nor Adobe will be adding Flash support to any future builds of Android. I’ve also tried: ICS+ Browser and Dolphin Browser HD, both of which don’t work with the method used above. FireFox seems to be the only browser currently that works with the flash plugin in Android 4.1.

2. that by default FireFox Beta has plugins set to on demand which can cause some minor inconviences, however you can remedy this by going to:

FireFox Beta settings (three dots to right corner) -> Settings -> Plugins -> Select: Enabled

After flash was installed, I just had to quit completely out of Firefox (top right menu -> quit) then reopen it and it worked fine.

Been using boat now exclusively as my browser because of the flash support. Zero issues with so far!