[Q] Sony Walkman Z series NWZ-Z1060 (Z1000, Z1050, Z1060, Z1070)

Search This thread

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
Right guys, Just got the new Sony NWZ-Z1060 and its running android but have only seen one other person on here express an interest in this wonderful DAP...truely best SQ around, and with root access I believe we could unlock so much more from this player.

The device is rooted (tutorial on youtube...thanks m34n1ng!!!!!) and my main concern is to try and get CWM recovery on the Z Walkman to backup the ROM, and then to try and get rid of the crappy EU volume cap which is driving me insane!

For those who are using the stock player, i reccomend trying PowerAmp from the market..such a great app! 10 band EQ with bass boost also, gapless playback and crossfade, support for lossless etc, lovely theme (black)

Obviously a custom ROM´s running ICS would be great...but until a talented developer gets his hands on one I dont think this would be a viable option for the near future :(

The Sony Tablet S apparently is running the same ROM as the Walkman Z an there is a planned ICS release for the Tablet S in a few months, so hopefully a dev may have picked one up by then to try and port it over to the Z if theres no release for it any time soon :(

Go to post 3 for some reasons why you should buy this Z now! haha

Last edited:

m34n1ng

Apr 6, 2012
cwm

Im the one that made the turtorial, and ive been looking around for a nice ROM but i cant find one and i think your explanation is right, unpess a good developer gets his hands on one we wont see a good ROM anytime soon. Sony has said that their tablets will be getting ICS so that makes me believe the walkman will too.

Reactions: dannyc93

seahorsepip

Jan 22, 2012
Veyr cool device didn't knew they made a walkman msuic player with android ^^
Only whats the screen resolution? Since that might be the point why there isn't much attention for it (320x480 as example is just too low)

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
Im the one that made the turtorial, and ive been looking around for a nice ROM but i cant find one and i think your explanation is right, unpess a good developer gets his hands on one we wont see a good ROM anytime soon. Sony has said that their tablets will be getting ICS so that makes me believe the walkman will too.

Yeh especially if the Tablet S ROM is the same as the Z´s, may just be a simple port to our walkman!

Veyr cool device didn't knew they made a walkman msuic player with android ^^
Only whats the screen resolution? Since that might be the point why there isn't much attention for it (320x480 as example is just too low)

Screen resolution is 800×480 but looks lovely, better than my SGSII i think!

I think the reason people are overlooking this device is because not many people care too much for good quality audio...iPods (especially iPod Touch´s) dont sound great tbh...but people just assume they will all sound the same, which is obviously not true at all...people need to head over to Head-Fi (couldnt resist lol) and check out this thread! http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review

Apparently the Z sounds better than HiFi-Man 801, iBasso´s DX100, and i have owned RWA´s iMOD with ALO LOD to Fiio E11 and this still comes up short compared to the unbelievable Walkman Z, all three DAPS cost so much more, are so much more bulky, have tiny screens, no app store, no video functioality etc, really the Sony Z is the best device i have ever bought and with a custom ROM it could be soooooo much better...really want to try and get rid of this EQ volume cap, so annoying lol!

Hopefully people will start catching on how bad audio is straight from their phones, or even ipods...but unfortunately most people are satisfied with thier stock apple buds and ipods :(

Hopefully this would have inspired a dev who cares about music to get one of these amazing devices, and open up the potential even more!

Last edited:

m34n1ng

Apr 6, 2012
roms

yeah maybe someone can just modify a Sony tablet s ROM and make a nice functional one for walkman z all i realy want is ICS and a little faster and take away some of the stupid stuff apps that come with it.

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
yeah maybe someone can just modify a Sony tablet s ROM and make a nice functional one for walkman z all i realy want is ICS and a little faster and take away some of the stupid stuff apps that come with it.

Yeh fingers crossed!

You can delete system apps via root explorer...but be carefull what ones you delete i have only got rid of camera (WTF! lol) and that game demo, make sure you 100% know the app is safe to delete before you do though!

MobileAge84

Apr 8, 2012
Tirana
Custom ROM

Maybe some roms based on Tegra 2 platform should be easier to be adopted since the Z is based on the nvidia's chipset.

MobileAge84

Apr 8, 2012
Tirana
Also interesting is the fact that the Z is actually compatible with line out for external DACs. Maybe this could help devs to find a way to enable usb audio out from the new Sony Xperia phones.

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
Is there any way to find if the EU volume cap is software of hardware based? (Without openeing it up and looking for resistor!)

MobileAge84

Apr 8, 2012
Tirana
My Z comes from France and the volume at max is excessive using a pair of Sony EX1000 iems.

I was thinking if it would be possible to flash the version of the Japan firmware to the US/EU Z. Maybe this could solve the problem.

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
My Z comes from France and the volume at max is excessive using a pair of Sony EX1000 iems.

I was thinking if it would be possible to flash the version of the Japan firmware to the US/EU Z. Maybe this could solve the problem.

yeh but when using harder to drive IEM´s or full sized cans i have to connect my Fiio E11 amp which is annoying if without the cap it could drive them fully!

If the cap is hardware based though, say they use a larger resistor than ones outside of EU then flashing new software will change nothing!

MobileAge84

Apr 8, 2012
Tirana
My biggest letdown with ICS was the incomplete digital audio out through USB. Not a real integration and a total lack of development from phone manufacturers. This was the main reason I purchased the Sony Z but I miss the HD screen and a camera sometimes.

Dwaalspoor98

Dec 9, 2004
EU Volume Cap

I really want to buy one but worried about the volume cap, I just downloaded the US and UK firmware updates and did some investigation:

diff -r NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0001/NW_WM_FW/0001/region NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0014/NW_WM_FW/0014/region
diff -r NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0001/NW_WM_FW/0001/region/region.prop NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0014/NW_WM_FW/0014/region/region.prop
< ro.sony.avls.ceiling=13
---
> ro.sony.avls.ceiling=16
7c7
< ro.sony.eula=NA
---
> ro.sony.eula=EURO
12,14c12,14
< ro.sony.fm_deemphasis=75
< ro.sony.sku.detailed=0001
< ro.sony.volume_limit=0
---
> ro.sony.fm_deemphasis=50
> ro.sony.sku.detailed=0014
> ro.sony.volume_limit=1
17c17
< ro.sony.wm.clearstereo_coef=-31
---
> ro.sony.wm.clearstereo_coef=-37

It seems the volume limit is set by Android properties, which could be changed when you have root access.

Anyone with a rooted walkman willing to test and want to post the results here?

NOTE: it seems there is no public know method to root the new 1.2.1 firmware yet

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
I really want to buy one but worried about the volume cap, I just downloaded the US and UK firmware updates and did some investigation:

diff -r NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0001/NW_WM_FW/0001/region NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0014/NW_WM_FW/0014/region
diff -r NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0001/NW_WM_FW/0001/region/region.prop NWZ-Z1000_V1_21_0014/NW_WM_FW/0014/region/region.prop
< ro.sony.avls.ceiling=13
---
> ro.sony.avls.ceiling=16
7c7
< ro.sony.eula=NA
---
> ro.sony.eula=EURO
12,14c12,14
< ro.sony.fm_deemphasis=75
< ro.sony.sku.detailed=0001
< ro.sony.volume_limit=0
---
> ro.sony.fm_deemphasis=50
> ro.sony.sku.detailed=0014
> ro.sony.volume_limit=1
17c17
< ro.sony.wm.clearstereo_coef=-31
---
> ro.sony.wm.clearstereo_coef=-37

It seems the volume limit is set by Android properties, which could be changed when you have root access.

Anyone with a rooted walkman willing to test and want to post the results here?

NOTE: it seems there is no public know method to root the new 1.2.1 firmware yet

Verry interesting stuff...i had a look in the build.prop but none of those values are there on build v1.00.0014

Looks like we will have to wait for a rooting procedure to come available for the new firmware

Dwaalspoor98

Dec 9, 2004
Verry interesting stuff...i had a look in the build.prop but none of those values are there on build v1.00.0014

Looks like we will have to wait for a rooting procedure to come available for the new firmware

Those settings will also not be in the build properties on the 1.21 firmware. They are located in a seperate directory in the firmware when you extract the exe. They are even outside the file system.

I suspect there is a region.prop file somewhere on the file system, but it is just guessing since I don't own the device.

dannyc93

Mar 1, 2011
Well found the region.prop and all the same settings are there...dunno if im brave enough to change any of them though as I have no backup and dont know if there is a way to backup the device!

Would you say there was a fairly big chance i could brick it if i change the values...if not im tempted just to change the volume limit setting to 0 instead of 1 and leave the others...or do you think i should change all of them?

Cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally the Z is rootable with 4.0.4.
    Here's the tool I used to root it: http://www.mgyun.com/vroot

Hope this helps :)
    cwm

Im quite supprised no one has got a Z yet :( There must be a dev that likes music no?