[Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Search This thread

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
Download the zip file from here.
Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
3. Flashing recovery
1. Download this Recovery image.
2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot

3. Flash recovery
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
Universal Xoom root - version 1.0

Last edited:

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
By any Xoom... does that mean the country of the Xoom doesn't matter? Because I am currently still working on my Xoom Heaven stickied thread, and this would be an amazing addition to my thread. It will be much less confusing for all when it comes to rooting. I was working on adding Euro models rooting guides next, but an any Xoom and any model rooting method is awesome! And it would result in a lot less semi bricks.

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
Correct. As long as the xoom can be unlocked and cwm works, this tool should work!

Awesome! Thank you. I just wanted to make sure of this before I linked it up on my thread. It's good to know this will work for future releases. Finally, a real rooting method that will always stay current. Team Tiamat wins! :)

Lakota

Apr 14, 2006
I'm going to sound real noob here even though I've flashed and rooted a few times with various ROMs but...
If I root a stock ROM will it prevent the OTA updates from working?
Cheers

woolmonkey

Dec 5, 2009
Works fine on a 3.1 Canadian Xoom thanks. I was looking at the script and was wondering does this patch the current boot partition on the fly, just curious.

Psychokitty

Jan 8, 2011
WOW!!!:D:D:D
This is HUGE!

You've just obsoleted probably 15 - 20 percent of the entire Xoom development section!:p
Thanks so much for continuing to make it easier to get other Xoomers on board the Root Express train to Android Awesomeness!

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
All XOOMs are unlockable, just need to get into fastboot, run fastboot oem unlock, press volume down then up, then press volume down then up again and now your XOOM is unlocked.

@solarnz - if no one did the adb setup and configuring yet, I won't mind typing it up and send it your way.
Someone has already PM'd me text for this on xoomforums. I just haven't had a chance to copy it in yet.
I'm going to sound real noob here even though I've flashed and rooted a few times with various ROMs but...
If I root a stock ROM will it prevent the OTA updates from working?
Cheers
Yes.
Works fine on a 3.1 Canadian Xoom thanks. I was looking at the script and was wondering does this patch the current boot partition on the fly, just curious.

Yes, this does the modifications on the fly.

Reactions: Lakota

silvinoa

May 27, 2007
Miami
Wipes Xoom

I think the answer is yes, but I'll ask to make sure. Since this is changing the recovery/boot images, should I assume that it wipes the Xoom?

eddielo

Mar 31, 2005
Good, you make this work.

Are you inspired by my method, or you think of it all by yourself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
    Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
    Download the zip file from here.
    Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
    3. Flashing recovery
    1. Download this Recovery image.
    2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot reboot

3. Flash recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
    Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
    Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
    If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
    Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
    Universal Xoom root - version 1.0
    thanks for this working on my Dad's MZ600

btw I uploaded the Universal Root it seems all links here are broken :)
    This was also tested on a 4G Xoom and is working 100%.
    I've updated the zip file with a ICS compatible su binary.
    I haven't tested personally but it should work.