My experiences using 8 different WP devices

Search This thread

disolitude

Jan 12, 2011
After trying 8 different Windows Phone 7/7.5 devices in the last year and a half, I have decided to compile my opinions on each and rank them from best to worst.

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions on devices I've owned based on the experiences I've had with each...yours may be different.

1. Samsung Focus S

Pros
Best screen available for a WP device
Excellent speaker and call quality
Thin, light, fast
Super easy to interop unlock and debrand
Has all available hardware that WP7 currently supports (apart from LTE)
Very fast HSPA+ connection (Faster than Lumia 900 and Titan's HSPA+)

Cons
Battery doesn't last as long as other WP7 devices
Headphones audio quality and volume isn't as good as some other devices

2. HTC Titan

Pros
Largest and good quality screen
Very good camera exclusive features and sound enhancements
Excellent build and speaker
Great battery life

Cons
Can't be dev/interop unlocked
Mediocre call quality/reception
Unlocked AT&T devices can't enable internet sharing on other carriers

3. Samsung Focus

Pros
Good OLED screen (pentile though)
Very easy to unlock and enable internet sharing for any carrier
Has custom ROMs
Great speaker and call quality
micro SD card support

Cons
Build quality is poor and feels cheap
Gen 1 device that is missing some features newer WP7.5 devices have

4. LG Optimus 7

Pros
Very solid and sturdy build
Very stable. Least bugs experienced.
Easy to dev unlock
Internet sharing update possible for most if device is flashed to a different region

Cons
Lackluster screen and speaker

5. Nokia Lumia 710

Pros
Solid build
Exclusive Nokia apps make a difference
Call quality and reception are great
Custom ROM may be possible
Supports Tmobile AWS frequency and AT&T 4G

Cons
Questionable battery life
Missing some hardware features
Internet sharing not yet available

6. Nokia Lumia 900

Pros
Gorgeous hardware and design
Gorgeous screen
Exclusive Nokia apps make a difference
Call quality and reception are great
LTE support
Unique design

Cons
Buggy with software issues even after the patch update
Camera is terrible
Can't be dev/interop unlocked

7. LG Quantum

Pros
Has a hardware keyboard
Easy to dev unlock

Cons
Screen and speaker are poor
Unappealing design and hardware
Heavy

8. HTC HD7

Pros
Custom ROMs
Easily unlockable

Cons
Poor screen
Poor build quality
Poor battery life

If you are in the market for a Windows Phone 7.5 device and want the best device available, I would recommend the Samsung Focus S based on my experiences with multiple devices and hardware vendors.

I am aware that there are some interesting devices I've not yet used such as Dell Venue Pro, Titan II...and even the Fujitsu 32GB waterproof device, which may be a solid purchase as well.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Thanks for your opinion but it's very subjective... For example, what do you mean by (for Samsung Focus) "Build quality is poor and feels cheap"? I don't think so. Also, that sentence "Gen 1 device that is missing some features newer WP7.5 devices have"... Why don't you wrote about "low screen resolution" like some noobs here? :D

Another one: for Lumia 900 you wrote "Camera is terrible" what is completely not true. Lumia's 900 camera isn't "terrible" just regular (comparing with the other WP7 devices). If you expect something really amazing (like Nokia 808 PureView camera) - it's your personal problem)

P.S. I'm tried 6 of listed handsets and can't agree with you in many cases...

Last edited:

disolitude

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for your opinion but it's very subjective... For example, what do you mean by (for Samsung Focus) "Build quality is poor and feels cheap"? I don't think so. Also, that sentence "Gen 1 device that is missing some features newer WP7.5 devices have"... Why don't you wrote about "low screen resolution" like some noobs here? :D

Another one: for Lumia 900 you wrote "Camera is terrible" what is completely not true. Lumia's 900 camera isn't "terrible" just regular (comparing with the other WP7 devices). If you expect something really amazing (like Nokia 808 PureView camera) - it's your personal problem)

P.S. I'm tried 6 of listed handsets and can't agree with you in many cases...

If you look up most reviews on the Focus, they mention that Samsung focus feels plastic-like and cheap. For example -http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/samsung-focus-review/
And this was when this phone came out in 2010. By 2012 standards its build is downright poor. Feels like a toy and very loose compared to something solid like Nokia 900 or LG Optimus 7.

Gen1 device/missing features stands for missing front facing camera, HSPA+ and other features found on gen 2 devices hardware wise that gen 1 don't have. It is something one should consider in my opinion.

And compared to other WP devices, I found Lumia 900 as a point and shoot to be terrible. It can take decent pictures only when conditions are ideal. Low light shots, or closed quarters close up shots are worst I've seen on any smartphone for at least 3 years. I can post some test shots I've taken with the Lumia if you want to see what I mean...

Keep in mind I am not trying to argue with you.
I respect everyone's opinions, and am just defending my statements above...

Last edited:

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
I agree on the subjectivity. Battery life is very important to me so the Focus S would never be at the top of my list. But that is me.

1. Battery
2. Build quality
3. Screen quality(not size)
4. Camera

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
If you look up most reviews on the Focus, they mention that Samsung focus feels plastic-like and cheap.

I don't need to look up the reviews 'cause I own Focus; also, I'm working for company specialized in mobile platforms development so I do have an experience in handsets comparison! Focus isn't cheap; and build quality is OK. Try to define your "cheap" first. Right now I do have 5 handsets in front of me, on my desk: Focus, HTC Incredible, HTC Surround, Galaxy S2, and iPhone 3gs. Can't call any of these handsets "cheap" but Incredible has a "cheapest" look... Focus and Galaxy S2 are sharing the top place for me.

P.S. Today I'll try Lumia 900 camera by myself (brand new handset is waiting for me home ;) ), you don't need to post your pictures (better I'll post mine) ;)

Last edited:

disolitude

Jan 12, 2011
I agree on the subjectivity. Battery life is very important to me so the Focus S would never be at the top of my list. But that is me.

1. Battery
2. Build quality
3. Screen quality(not size)
4. Camera

While I agree that there are different needs, I don't think there is a category rule you can use to determine the best device.

For me it's more of a combination of things and how it all comes together as an experience.

I think Nokia Lumia 900 would be my favorite device if it didn't have the software bugs it did. (Even after the update). It could meet all of your requirements, but with bugs its not a great experience...

Getting SMS notifications when they arrive and not having to check if your data is working every 30 minutes kinda overshadows the great battery, screen quality and build quality imo.

red12355

Jan 9, 2012
I don't need to look up the reviews 'cause I own Focus; also, I'm working for company specialized in mobile platforms development so I do have an experience in handsets comparison! Focus isn't cheap; and build quality is OK. Try to define your "cheap" first. Right now I do have 5 handsets in front of me, on my desk: Focus, HTC Incredible, HTC Surround, Galaxy S2, and iPhone 3gs. Can't call any of these handsets "cheap" but Incredible has a "cheapest" look... Focus and Galaxy S2 are sharing the top place for me.

P.S. Today I'll try Lumia 900 camera by myself (brand new handset is waiting for me home ;) ), you don't need to post your pictures (better I'll post mine) ;)

The focus does feel cheap. I have one and it just feels like plastic, which picks up scuffs and scratches like crazy. I'm betting he means "cheap" as in the materials used feel low quality and I agree.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
The focus does feel cheap. I have one and it just feels like plastic, which picks up scuffs and scratches like crazy. I'm betting he means "cheap" as in the materials used feel low quality and I agree.

I've put silicon case and screen protector on my Focus at the very first week; and phone is in the perfect (like a brand new) shape now. Could recommend you to do the same for all your "looks expensive" handsets :D

P.S. However, I definitely should stop writing in "General" forum - people here listen to themselves only...

Last edited:

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
I've put silicon case and screen protector on my Focus at the very first week; and phone is in the perfect (like a brand new) shape now. Could recommend you to do the same for all your "looks expensive" handsets :D

P.S. However, I definitely should stop writing in "General" forum - people here listen to themselves only...

Some people may not actually want to cover up the design aesthetic of their phones. Sure, a silicon case will protect it, but it they may derive little pleasure from knowing that it's save vs. looking nice.

I prefer the look and feel of my Cyan Lumia 800 OUT of the included case. Yes, the case it nice, AND it's much safer to have the case on; but that comes at the cost of me enjoying its aesthetic less.

It's a gamble/tradeoff either way.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
anseio, agree with you but it's definitely not a point to say "that phone is CHEAP". You know, I may give my brand new Lumia 900 to my two years old daughter playing in the sandbox. Guess how the great "expensive looking" Nokia will looks after half an hour? :D Worse than "the cheap"? I think so. And it's exactly my point.

Samsung Focus is a great handset; absolute champion in WP7 sales last year and phone definitely not "cheap".

disolitude

Jan 12, 2011
Some people may not actually want to cover up the design aesthetic of their phones. Sure, a silicon case will protect it, but it they may derive little pleasure from knowing that it's save vs. looking nice.

I prefer the look and feel of my Cyan Lumia 800 OUT of the included case. Yes, the case it nice, AND it's much safer to have the case on; but that comes at the cost of me enjoying its aesthetic less.

It should be a punishable crime to put the Lumia 800 (or 900) in a case. :)

Reactions: anseio

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
There is cheap and there is inexpensive. The Focus, which I too have owned, feels cheap. There is build quality and quality of build. The Focus seems to be put together very well but the materials used makes the overall feel.... seem cheap. I have an Omnia 7, which for all intents and purposes, is the same device. However it feels much more substantial. The same can be said about the DVP. With the gorilla glass and some metal, it feels like a solid piece of equipment. Spot on with the Quantum though.

buffalosolja42

Aug 19, 2007
Gainesville
Focus S is my device but I run with two batteries

I thought the drain was just me, so I picked up an extra battery. I think mine mostly is because of microcell when I'm not at work my phone last all day when at work 6~ hrs before I give it some attention.

pLUSpISTOL

Jan 29, 2009
You should try the Omnia7, I'm still rocking it and loving it :)
I'm going to bypass getting a new phone anytime soon and wait for the Apollo releases.

disolitude

Jan 12, 2011
I'm going to bypass getting a new phone anytime soon and wait for the Apollo releases.

Sadly none of the carriers in North America have this phone. It did look like a very solid choice when it came out and I thought about importing it... Its essentially a samsung focus with better build quality so it should be one of the best WP devices around.

Reactions: pLUSpISTOL

htc9420

Apr 1, 2010
1st Focus= cheap? no way, maybe you haven't seen cheap, plastic high end phones...
Focus is the engine of the WP train...Maybe it squeaks a bit, but surely CAN take a lot of abuse and never show any signs of that, unlike the metal body of an OMNIA7. Have you seen how a supercar's body shatters upon impact? I bet that feels cheap too... Focus is still the KING of them all,just think about it :unlockable+sd card expansion+best battery life+Amoled screen , what else would you need from a 2 years old device ....

2nd. apart from the FFC, I see no diff from the 1st to the 2nd gen WP devices...I wonder who could tell what gen is a device from seeing and using just the touch screen.

I've also tested a lot devices, even handed some to my family and witnessed the results based on their demands, so here's my top ( I've only had the 900 for a few days but the battery is not impressive ): 1.Focus 2.Focus S 3. Omnia7 if you're kind to the brushed metal body.

fatclue

Jul 15, 2010
Miami, FloriDuh
1st Focus= cheap? no way, maybe you haven't seen cheap, plastic high end phones...
Focus is the engine of the WP train...Maybe it squeaks a bit, but surely CAN take a lot of abuse and never show any signs of that, unlike the metal body of an OMNIA7. Have you seen how a supercar's body shatters upon impact? I bet that feels cheap too... Focus is still the KING of them all,just think about it :unlockable+sd card expansion+best battery life+Amoled screen , what else would you need from a 2 years old device ....

2nd. apart from the FFC, I see no diff from the 1st to the 2nd gen WP devices...I wonder who could tell what gen is a device from seeing and using just the touch screen.

I've also tested a lot devices, even handed some to my family and witnessed the results based on their demands, so here's my top ( I've only had the 900 for a few days but the battery is not impressive ): 1.Focus 2.Focus S 3. Omnia7 if you're kind to the brushed metal body.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Omnia 7 does not have a brushed metal body, it is faux brushed polycarbonate (BTW, I own one). It has a metal bezel but that's it. The gorilla glass gives it its heft and thereby "feels" like a more solid device. Honestly, the most solid feeling device is the DVP. The lack of internet sharing (wi-fi) is what has kept me away though. My wife has one and I'm always on it when she's not using it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It should be a punishable crime to put the Lumia 800 (or 900) in a case. :)

Sadly none of the carriers in North America have this phone. It did look like a very solid choice when it came out and I thought about importing it... Its essentially a samsung focus with better build quality so it should be one of the best WP devices around.
    To me the best bang for the buck in terms of WP7 devices is the Focus Flash/Omnia W: it hammers each top tier WP7 device in terms of battery life, it has the same screen as the Lumia 800 but it's way lighter and more pocketable, it packs the S2 SOC but it's easy to unlock, it has a pretty clean audio output (compared to other WP7 devices) and the phone part is brilliant. Sure the materials used aren't that great and the camera isn't very impressive, but it has that physical home button which is a plus, and when it comes to one hand usage it's the real king, it's so tiny and lightweight. Here in Italy it only cost about 230€, and the price keeps going down. Very hard to beat IMHO.