Help with Clock Work Mod Recovery

Search This thread

leony83

May 11, 2014
Hi,

I am totally new to flashing phones, so I need your help. My aim is to flash my GT-I9100 (Vodafone UK) with Cynogen Mod Kitkat. Currently my phone has Android version of 4.1.2. I do not have root access to my phone and according to Cynogen Mode wiki, this is not necessary.

Apparently I can't post links before 10 posts, sorry I can't show the links from where I got the instructions.

I have 1st tried to flash a new recovery image so that Cynogen installation would be possible.

1) Heimdall Method as in the Cynogen Mode Wiki Page

2) Odin Method available on the internet.

In both I have been successful transferring the listed recovery images (6.0.4.7 and 6.0.2.9) to the phone but in both cases whenever the phone is restarted, the device is stuck with Samsung GT-I9100 logo and yellow triangle. I can't access to recovery mode at all.

I had to go back to the download mode again (luckily this worked) and flashed with the original firmware in each cases to recover the device.

I am also confused about the version of CWM as when I go to the original website, above versions are not listed under Galaxy S2.(Only 4.0.1.5 and 5.8.1.5)

Am I missing something here?

Many thanks.

leony83

May 11, 2014
hey,here's the instructions you need
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/deve...om-official-cyanogenmod-11-nightlies-t2634693

a bit of search wouldn't hurt you know...
good luck:good:

Hi

Many thanks for your reply. Believe me I have gone through many posts and search before posting here. I have also checked the link but can't understand why I am encountering yellow triangle after CWM flashing. Am I suppose to flash something else as well together with the version 6.0.4.7?

leony83

May 11, 2014
Don't bother about that yellow triangle,it's normal.When you'll be done flashing your rom,use TriangleAway app to remove it.

But after I flash with CWM I can't get access to the recovery to install the rom? The only option I have is the download mode.

I thought after flashing with CWM the stock rom would work normally and flashing with custom rom could be done later if needed.

Just to iterate again, when I flash the recovery, phone does not switch on but stuck with yellow triangle. It does not go in recovery mode. I have to re flash the stock rom to save device.

Last edited:

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
Could it be you're flashing only a temporary recovery,without an included kernel?Just guessing you may well be.FYI S2 doesn't have a separated partition for recovery as some other phones has.
As you're currently using a stock rom,the easiest way IMO would be flashing Philz kernel first(from Original Android Development section).Then follow the instructions from the CM11 thread.

Reactions: MistahBungle

leony83

May 11, 2014
Could it be you're flashing only a temporary recovery,without an included kernel?Just guessing you may well be.FYI S2 doesn't have a separated partition for recovery as some other phones has.
As you're currently using a stock rom,the easiest way IMO would be flashing Philz kernel first(from Original Android Development section).Then follow the instructions from the CM11 thread.
It is possible but instructions on cynogenmod wiki page does not advise about a kernel. It gives a link to the recovery file and after recovery is flashed, I should be able to use volume up + home + power to access the recovery. Which I can't.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You just got given the best bit of advice anyone could give you, you have no clue whatsoever, and you're questioning said advice ?

Forget the CM Wiki. As you've just been told, any recovery flashed independently of the kernel on the I9100 will only persist until the next reboot. The easiest way to achieve what you're trying to achieve is to flash a custom kernel which will give you root+permanent CWM, and go from there.

You can either follow the advice you've been given & get this done the easy way, or you can continue to fumble around for days/weeks/months/whatever.

No skin off our noses either way *shrugs*

And no, I'm not going to apologise for being a bit 'rough' with you. People who come here with no idea, ask for help & either don't follow great advice they're given or argue the point about things they have no understanding of **** me to tears & get zero empathy.

Reactions: TheImpossibleEnemy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey,here's the instructions you need
    http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/deve...om-official-cyanogenmod-11-nightlies-t2634693

a bit of search wouldn't hurt you know...
    good luck:good:
    You just got given the best bit of advice anyone could give you, you have no clue whatsoever, and you're questioning said advice ?

Forget the CM Wiki. As you've just been told, any recovery flashed independently of the kernel on the I9100 will only persist until the next reboot. The easiest way to achieve what you're trying to achieve is to flash a custom kernel which will give you root+permanent CWM, and go from there.

You can either follow the advice you've been given & get this done the easy way, or you can continue to fumble around for days/weeks/months/whatever.

No skin off our noses either way *shrugs*

And no, I'm not going to apologise for being a bit 'rough' with you. People who come here with no idea, ask for help & either don't follow great advice they're given or argue the point about things they have no understanding of **** me to tears & get zero empathy.