[Q] XT926 urgent help required

Search This thread

mshayan27

Mar 15, 2009
i have a droid razr max hd XT926 (verizon) is has 4.2.1 android installed ..but it is so buggy and i want uo upgrade it to kitkat which is available in system updates ..i want to ask if i update to kitkat will my phone be locked to verizone sim cards only or i can use other providers sim cards as well i live in pakistan .

desperately waiting for answer .sorry for bad English or if i double the post

thanks.

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
i have a droid razr max hd XT926 (verizon) is has 4.2.1 android installed ..but it is so buggy and i want uo upgrade it to kitkat which is available in system updates ..i want to ask if i update to kitkat will my phone be locked to verizone sim cards only or i can use other providers sim cards as well i live in pakistan .

desperately waiting for answer .sorry for bad English or if i double the post

thanks.

If your are on GSM networks outside U.S., it won't be carrier locked to Verizon, whatever ROM you're using. SIM lock on GSM networks is only valid in U.S. by default (though could be worked around).
So you can upgrade to KitKat, your phone won't be SIM locked.

mshayan27

Mar 15, 2009
If your are on GSM networks outside U.S., it won't be carrier locked to Verizon, whatever ROM you're using. SIM lock on GSM networks is only valid in U.S. by default (though could be worked around).
So you can upgrade to KitKat, your phone won't be SIM locked.

thanks nagim your reply gave me hope but on inserting other sim it wil give me a message that sim is from other provider if i am not wrong and i just need to ignore it? ,furthermore i want to ask if this kitkat update is buggy or not? like on my current jellybean there are lots of bugs and wifi sometime dont connect fone to internet,some random errors etc..

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
thanks nagim your reply gave me hope but on inserting other sim it wil give me a message that sim is from other provider if i am not wrong and i just need to ignore it? ,furthermore i want to ask if this kitkat update is buggy or not? like on my current jellybean there are lots of bugs and wifi sometime dont connect fone to internet,some random errors etc..

It will probably say that SIM is from unknown source, but you can ignore this, it won't affect your usage.
I cannot comment on the KitKat update, as I have not received my XT926 yet. You could check out the topics in the forum like this one:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2771542

iBolski

You're welcome!
Of course, if your experience with the KitKat update will not be good, you can go back to JB, as the bootloader of these phones can be unlocked.

I would suggest possibly NOT taking the update that is being sent to the phone as it MIGHT be the newest OTA which fixes the bootloader unlock and Towelroot exploits. People have reported getting this update that are not part of the soak.

Instead, ignore it and go and get the FXZ for the Kit Kat and flash that via RSDLite or House of Moto. That way, you can then go and root with Towelroot and then unlock the bootloader.

After that, THEN take any OTAs after that. If the current OTA that is getting pushed to his phone is from the latest soak, then if he takes it, he will NOT be able to unlock the bootloader NOR root his phone.

Reactions: nagim

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
I would suggest possibly NOT taking the update that is being sent to the phone as it MIGHT be the newest OTA which fixes the bootloader unlock and Towelroot exploits. People have reported getting this update that are not part of the soak.

Instead, ignore it and go and get the FXZ for the Kit Kat and flash that via RSDLite or House of Moto. That way, you can then go and root with Towelroot and then unlock the bootloader.

After that, THEN take any OTAs after that. If the current OTA that is getting pushed to his phone is from the latest soak, then if he takes it, he will NOT be able to unlock the bootloader NOR root his phone.

Thank you for this info, I wasn't aware of that. Surely saved us from some troubles! :good:

mshayan27

Mar 15, 2009

i think my phone is still a verizon because on inserting my sim it still gives me error that simcard is from other user but my simcard does works normally well now the question is is my phone still lock with verizon or how can i unlock it i have no information i just brought fone yesterday from a local market and give me some links to get the best kitkat on my fone ultimatly i just want it to wirk perfectly fine like a free phone with no errors and bugs
thanks

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
No biggie. The latest soak I believe just started getting pushed out in the last couple of days. I was part of the soak test, but I've since gone back to CM11 which is better IMHO, especially with the WiFi.

Well, it's strange to me that they won't allow us unlock the bootloader anymore (considering that we could before that). Which version is this?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

i think my phone is still a verizon because on inserting my sim it still gives me error that simcard is from other user but my simcard does works normally well now the question is is my phone still lock with verizon or how can i unlock it i have no information i just brought fone yesterday from a local market and give me some links to get the best kitkat on my fone ultimatly i just want it to wirk perfectly fine like a free phone with no errors and bugs
thanks

You're confusing the SIM lock and the bootloader lock. The phone is not SIM locked outside the U.S., so don't worry about that.
The bootloader unlock is what allows you to install custom ROMs via a custom recovery.

mshayan27

Mar 15, 2009
Well, it's strange to me that they won't allow us unlock the bootloader anymore (considering that we could before that). Which version is this?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

You're confusing the SIM lock and the bootloader lock. The phone is not SIM locked outside the U.S., so don't worry about that.
The bootloader unlock is what allows you to install custom ROMs via a custom recovery.

i have no idea about boot loader lock ...i am talkin about simlock and i was asking if i update it to official kitkat will it then work in my country (pakistan)

iBolski

You're surprised? Why? They don't want unlocking the bootloaders on the XT926s in the first place. The whole bootloader unlocking of the XT926 was due to a security exploit, not because Moto allowed it.

On JB, there was a version that allowed the bootloader to be unlocked until they patched it.

Then, when the initial Kit Kat OTA came out back in May/June, they accidentally re-introduced the bootloader unlock exploit. After the initial OTA, another soak test started and with that, they fixed the exploit again, so nothing surprising there.

This is the FXZ you want to flash to your phone (do NOT take the OTA just in case it's the latest soak which patches the exploit that was re-introduced with the first KK OTA) -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=5&file=902

Go here to learn how to flash it and then unlock your bootloader -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

nagim

Nov 24, 2010
Budapest
You're surprised? Why? They don't want unlocking the bootloaders on the XT926s in the first place. The whole bootloader unlocking of the XT926 was due to a security exploit, not because Moto allowed it.

On JB, there was a version that allowed the bootloader to be unlocked until they patched it.

Then, when the initial Kit Kat OTA came out back in May/June, they accidentally re-introduced the bootloader unlock exploit. After the initial OTA, another soak test started and with that, they fixed the exploit again, so nothing surprising there.

This is the FXZ you want to flash to your phone (do NOT take the OTA just in case it's the latest soak which patches the exploit that was re-introduced with the first KK OTA) -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=5&file=902

Go here to learn how to flash it and then unlock your bootloader -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

OK, my bad then again. :eek: When I first heard about this, it sounded like and official thing. But maybe I confused it with the Developers Edition.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

i have no idea about boot loader lock ...i am talkin about simlock and i was asking if i update it to official kitkat will it then work in my country (pakistan)

It will work.

Last edited:

iBolski

OK, my bad then again. :eek: When I first heard about this, it sounded like and official thing. But maybe I confused it with the Developers Edition.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

It will work.

Correct, the developers edition can always be unlocked, no matter what. But, not many have the developers edition as it was a limited release.

Most XT926 devices are the non-developer's edition and can only be unlocked via an exploit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're welcome!
    Of course, if your experience with the KitKat update will not be good, you can go back to JB, as the bootloader of these phones can be unlocked.