Any ROM with Tablet UI and MHL support?

Search This thread

thebeest

Jul 27, 2013
Hi there

I am looking for a rom with the Tablet UI (Like the old stock rom) with support for MHL. I am currently running a stable PAC release but the lack of MHL support is getting annoying. I was perfectly happy with the stock rom but after an upgrade the tablet ui was replaced with the phablet/phone ui which I thought was a step in the wrong direction so i flashed PAC roms until I found my daily driver.

Is there a custom rom that supports both the Tablet UI either through PA or an Xposed module (I have not found one that works so far) and MHL? Or do I have to go back to an old stock rom?

Tablet: SGP311 UK 16GB WIFI
Current ROM: pac_pollux_windy-4.3-20140122

Thanks in advance

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
afaik no custom rom supports mhl, only an old version of cm (don't remember if 9 or 10) wich is not built for pollux_windy
i've gone back to stock for that reason :(

thebeest

Jul 27, 2013
use phab7 with xposed installer.

Have you tested this with a stock rom? I tried phab7 on my PAC rom but it didnt work, I assumed it was because of PA elements in PAC.

afaik no custom rom supports mhl, only an old version of cm (don't remember if 9 or 10) wich is not built for pollux_windy
i've gone back to stock for that reason :(

Ahh thats a real shame. What stock are you running and have you treid to get the Tablet UI? The new stock UI just makes the buttons really hard to use with two hands and its asif you have a 10 inch phone in your hands!

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
Ahh thats a real shame. What stock are you running and have you treid to get the Tablet UI? The new stock UI just makes the buttons really hard to use with two hands and its asif you have a 10 inch phone in your hands!

i'm now using latest with kk but didn't try mhl or tablet ui.
mhl is supposed to be supported, regarding tablet ui sony did many modifications to the system ui so the best chance is to try. if you do make a nandroid backup first.

Jequan

Aug 30, 2012
No idea about MHL but none of the kitkat ROMs have the option for classic tablet UI sadly. I don't know why nobody did it considering you can adjust the UI Nav buttons.

The best solution for me is omni ROM so far. You can put the back button to a corner there at least.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
No idea about MHL but none of the kitkat ROMs have the option for classic tablet UI sadly. I don't know why nobody did it considering you can adjust the UI Nav buttons.

The best solution for me is omni ROM so far. You can put the back button to a corner there at least.

Google basically killed all the code responsible for the Tablet UI on KK.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Jequan

Aug 30, 2012
Google basically killed all the code responsible for the Tablet UI on KK.

I don't think this is a valid reason considering i allready had tablet UI back on KK. With AOKP and pacman you can add as many nav bar items as you want. I added so many that i simply gave the most right three ones the typical three buttons. Voila i had my tablet UI.
The problem: Since a few updates they render a pacman or AOKP icon on every button you add but don't assigne anything to it wich looks stupid.

Technically there is nothing hindering to get a tablet UI back.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I don't think this is a valid reason considering i allready had tablet UI back on KK. With AOKP and pacman you can add as many nav bar items as you want. I added so many that i simply gave the most right three ones the typical three buttons. Voila i had my tablet UI.
The problem: Since a few updates they render a pacman or AOKP icon on every button you add but don't assigne anything to it wich looks stupid.

Technically there is nothing hindering to get a tablet UI back.

Already back on KK? That's the latest... And, that isn't actually Tablet UI. You just put lots of icons and that moved the main ones to the left. Tablet UI consists of having the whole SystemUI at the bottom, not just the buttons on the left...

You could recreate the whole code, but that would be a bit hard to do...

Jequan

Aug 30, 2012
Already back on KK? That's the latest... And, that isn't actually Tablet UI. You just put lots of icons and that moved the main ones to the left. Tablet UI consists of having the whole SystemUI at the bottom, not just the buttons on the left...

You could recreate the whole code, but that would be a bit hard to do...

I see what you mean - i would be happy with the buttons where one can reach it. The other changes of the UI don't bother me as much.

I can confirm MHL works perfectly fine on SGP312 (wi-fi only) on Android v 4.4.2 stock, and even with Phab7 it wont change to tablet mode for reasons mentioned above. Cant make it show something thats not there.

And a word of advise to people that see those cheap @SS MHL adapters on e-bay... spend the money on a good one or an official one from sony if its still avail... cause I bought a cheap one from china, and now it flickers because the power cord connection is starting to get loose, so now I need to bend the cord back at the connector or the picture will disconnect. Thank god for DUCT TAPE.

thebeest

Jul 27, 2013
Have you tried using PIE? I enabled PIE on the left side of my screen using Xposed and Gravitybox and that helps me avoid using those awfully placed (IMO) buttons.

So can you get pie on the latest stock Sony rom? I had LMT working on the old stock rom and got on really well with it. IMHO pie doesn't have as good a functionality as LMT did.

I don't have PC access at the moment so is there a way to flash a stock rom from my current PAC custom rom?

Thanks in advance.

perri.etb

Jun 22, 2012
Ciudad de México
So can you get pie on the latest stock Sony rom? I had LMT working on the old stock rom and got on really well with it. IMHO pie doesn't have as good a functionality as LMT did.

I don't have PC access at the moment so is there a way to flash a stock rom from my current PAC custom rom?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you can get pie with xposed+gravitybox but I haven't tried latest stock since everyone complains about it being laggy.

I haven't seen any flashable stock rom so I guess you'll need a computer.

Also I don't even know what's LMT so I can't tell if it's better or worse.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

thebeest

Jul 27, 2013
Omni has now tablet ui for pollux_windy (on settings you have dual pane) and MHL support...

That sounds awesome! What version of Onmi are you talking about? I thought MHL was stock only.

I'm pretty sure you can get pie with xposed+gravitybox but I haven't tried latest stock since everyone complains about it being laggy.

I haven't seen any flashable stock rom so I guess you'll need a computer.

Also I don't even know what's LMT so I can't tell if it's better or worse.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for the info, shame about needing a PC but with abit of luck omni could be a winner. LMT was like pie but you could add layers of app shortcuts around the edge which gives you fast access to your favourites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app