HTC Droid DNA Bootloader Unlock/New Method UPDATED 2/7/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
UPDATE 2/7 - HTC HAS BLOCKED OUR CURRENT SUPERCID, SO I UPDATED TO A NEW ONE. GET IT AND USE IT WHILE IT STILL WORKS!

THIS ONLY WORKS ON PRE-OTA (E.G. 1.XXXX) VERSION PHONES. IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED THE OTA OR HAVE A DEVICE WITH VERSION 2.XXX FIRMWARE, THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.

edit 2/13 - added source zip

Here you will find a new method to get "SuperCID" to allow bootloader unlock for the HTC Droid DNA. This method WILL prove easier than the original method and SHOULD prove safer.

Usual disclaimer - "I am not responsible if you brick or otherwise destroy your device (insert additional non-funny/non-witty comment here)."

Before we get started, PLEASE take a moment to review the credits:

1.) giantpune @ freenode. Here is a guy I've never met and yet he spent several hours crashing my kernel and coding/recoding, etc. to find exploit addresses. He doesn't own a DNA, has no personal interest in this project, yet spent ~10 hours on this. Then, he writes proper code for the cid patching routine without me even asking. This method would not be possible without him. PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - giantpune@gmail.com

2.) jcase @ andirc. Without his dedication and the original exploit, we could not have executed this new method. We needed a rooted device to get the addresses! PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=2376614

3.) htcjbutterfly @ andirc - aka SharpISO3 @ xda - thank you for the countless hours of letting me teamviewer in and screw around with your phone.

4.) Everyone else at team andirc. Cool group of people there.

5.) Goroh Kun (?).......The 2 exploits used are courtesy of his (?) code, and he (?) was gracious enough to post source. The attached APK is really about ~75% their code. But, since they were non-responsive in requests for porting help, they get the #5 spot here.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8LDObFOpzZqQzducmxjRExXNnM/edit?pli=1

So let's get started.

What you need:

1.) a Droid DNA
2.) this attached APK

Instructions:

1.) Download apk (attached, cid-2.apk)
2.) run it (in your app drawer titled HTC DNA SuperCID
3.) reboot to bootloader and confirm you have SuperCID:
a.) fastboot oem readcid

If you see 22222222, you are good. Proceed to htcdev to complete the process.

If you see something else (e.g. VZW__001) then reboot normally and try the process again.

Good luck.

If you need support, or care to say thanks, etc. please join us on IRC

andirc.net
#Droid-DNA

p.s. I'll post source soon. If you choose to reverse this apk, you'll probably notice I write REALLY bad code. I'm well aware of it and couldn't care less, so please don't bother me with code improvement suggestions.

Attachments

• source.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 32,933
Last edited by a moderator:

icesteve

Mar 27, 2011
Baltimore
wow unlocked in under 5min... thanks a lot, I had unlocked my phone a while ago and went to do my girlfriends tonight I'm glad I checked this out first!

Great job!

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
Re: HTC Droid DNA Bootloader Unlock/New Method 1/20/2013

Will this remove this?

tereja3a.jpg

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Sherrills Ford, NC

And to think I was JUST about to trade my phone away for an s3... Awesome work. About to do it now.

Edit, Done this like 3 times, saw no option to select the fastboot oem readcid. And HTC dev isn't loading on chrome or firefox. Of course none of it is working when I wanna get this going haha.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT

And to think I was JUST about to trade my phone away for an s3... Awesome work. About to do it now.

Edit, Done this like 3 times, saw no option to select the fastboot oem readcid.

"fastboot oem readcid" is a command you execute from a computer while the phone is in bootloader mode. You need to have fastboot installed on your computer, along with the appropriate drivers (especially if you are on Windows).

The command is to verify that the cid on the phone has been changed to 111111.

If you get the 111111 response, then you can follow the steps at htcdev.com to finish unlocking the phone. Those steps also require you to have fastboot.

You can Google how to install fastboot, or the htcdev.com website may also have instructions.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tfrank10 and croppz

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Sherrills Ford, NC

"fastboot oem readcid" is a command you execute from a computer while the phone is in bootloader mode. You need to have fastboot installed on your computer, along with the appropriate drivers (especially if you are on Windows).

The command is to verify that the cid on the phone has been changed to 111111.

If you get the 111111 response, then you can follow the steps at htcdev.com to finish unlocking the phone. Those steps also require you to have fastboot.

You can Google how to install fastboot, or the htcdev.com website may also have instructions.

Haha derp moment on my part. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 2/7 - HTC HAS BLOCKED OUR CURRENT SUPERCID, SO I UPDATED TO A NEW ONE. GET IT AND USE IT WHILE IT STILL WORKS!

THIS ONLY WORKS ON PRE-OTA (E.G. 1.XXXX) VERSION PHONES. IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED THE OTA OR HAVE A DEVICE WITH VERSION 2.XXX FIRMWARE, THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.

edit 2/13 - added source zip

Here you will find a new method to get "SuperCID" to allow bootloader unlock for the HTC Droid DNA. This method WILL prove easier than the original method and SHOULD prove safer.

Usual disclaimer - "I am not responsible if you brick or otherwise destroy your device (insert additional non-funny/non-witty comment here)."

Before we get started, PLEASE take a moment to review the credits:

1.) giantpune @ freenode. Here is a guy I've never met and yet he spent several hours crashing my kernel and coding/recoding, etc. to find exploit addresses. He doesn't own a DNA, has no personal interest in this project, yet spent ~10 hours on this. Then, he writes proper code for the cid patching routine without me even asking. This method would not be possible without him. PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - giantpune@gmail.com

2.) jcase @ andirc. Without his dedication and the original exploit, we could not have executed this new method. We needed a rooted device to get the addresses! PLEASE donate to him (paypal) - http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=2376614

3.) htcjbutterfly @ andirc - aka SharpISO3 @ xda - thank you for the countless hours of letting me teamviewer in and screw around with your phone.

4.) Everyone else at team andirc. Cool group of people there.

5.) Goroh Kun (?).......The 2 exploits used are courtesy of his (?) code, and he (?) was gracious enough to post source. The attached APK is really about ~75% their code. But, since they were non-responsive in requests for porting help, they get the #5 spot here.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8LDObFOpzZqQzducmxjRExXNnM/edit?pli=1

So let's get started.

What you need:

1.) a Droid DNA
    2.) this attached APK

Instructions:

1.) Download apk (attached, cid-2.apk)
    2.) run it (in your app drawer titled HTC DNA SuperCID
    3.) reboot to bootloader and confirm you have SuperCID:
    a.) fastboot oem readcid

If you see 22222222, you are good. Proceed to htcdev to complete the process.

If you see something else (e.g. VZW__001) then reboot normally and try the process again.

Good luck.

If you need support, or care to say thanks, etc. please join us on IRC

andirc.net
    #Droid-DNA

p.s. I'll post source soon. If you choose to reverse this apk, you'll probably notice I write REALLY bad code. I'm well aware of it and couldn't care less, so please don't bother me with code improvement suggestions.
    I almost wonder if it's easier to figure out a way to downgrade rather than trying to exploit the update. But this is also my first HTC and I that may seem like a noob statement too u all, so I apologize if I come off like a dope. It is impossible to downgrade or what? And why?

Sent from my unlockable HTC Droid DNA

I suppose I'll share.

The downgrade problem is different than it used to be. The rom.zips are now encrypted before they are signed. HTC decided to change the decryption key in the ota hboot so ota devices are unable to decrypt the rom.zip we've pulled from the pre ota RUU.

I'm really not sure what a viable solution might be at this point. That doesn't mean that some other devs don't have a valid idea or two.

We have SEVERAL working root exploits for ota devices currently. However with wp on system partition and now on the cid partition it's somewhat useless.

This is where we stand.

The inmates are becoming too restless. Thread closed.
    How r u so sure?

Because I wrote it?
    This is ironic that everybody comes with NEW methods to do job to the OLDER devices ! can't really find any help for the new devices like Samsung Galaxy Music Duos GT-S6012. come on guys do something to end our despeartion specially when there is no separate forum the said NEW devices !

Wait, you are going to come here complaining about someone working on something other than what you have.

You make a fool of yourself, the GT=S6012 is a FACTORY UNLOCKED DEVICE from the looks of it. It doesn't needed to "hacked"