[Q] Stuck while "fixing" my SGH-I337

Search This thread
Apr 2, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm a new poster here at XDA , and I've gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. If there are any rules that I happened to skim over that are broken, please let me know! I have performed a search of my issue, but no solution has been procured from what I can tell.

For three days now, I've been trying to fix my phone. Stats below:

Model: SGH-I337 (AT&T Galaxy S4)
Build Number: JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2

I believe that's all that needs to be listed, I'll be able to provide more information upon request if necessary.
I'll try to shorten my story to the key elements: Less than a week ago I tried to root, unlock, and flash a custom ROM to my S4 to no avail. I completed the rooting successfully and I believe I may have bypassed unlocking it via LOKI, but the ROM did not install. Since that failed, I've been trying for three days to completely restore my phone to stock and just deal with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. I can flash (through ODIN) my phone to stock 4.3 and everything is fine except for a lack of WiFi and Data. This is where my conundrum comes in to play.

Knox seems to display a message stating "The device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted. These actions have been blocked. It is recommended that you restart your device." anytime that I attempt to turn WiFi on. The widget and the setting in options will attempt to turn on for a split second and turn off prior to displaying this security message. It's as if Knox believes my WiFi is attempting to access parts of my phone that are restricted. My data is able to be turned on in the settings, but no 3g/4g is ever utilized. I figured an update off of 4.3 would help remedy this issue, but I can't seem to update my phone through any other means (ODIN, Kies, no OTA due to no WiFi/Data, etc.).

I've run out of different combinations of the keywords about my problem to search for in Google and any question about my problem was asked approximately April-October 2013, not answered, and not many more similar questions have risen since then.. which leads me to believe that this fix should be relatively easy.

On an S3 forum thread (I know, different device) I read that there could be corruption of my Nandroid system, but I'm not even sure what that entails. The user answering implied that the phone was done for. Again, though, this was a separate thread for another user about a Galaxy S3.

Well, apologies for the wall of text, folks. If you are willing to assist me, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you very much for reading my issue and I hope assistance can be organized.

Apr 2, 2014
What did you use to get back to stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I used ODIN to flash (What I'm very confident is) 4.3 Stock in the same manner I flashed the custom ROM.

I feel like that isn't specific enough for you though. I used Odin3 v3.09 first and then after several failures switched to Odin3 v1.85 as demonstrated in a few tutorials I've seen.

Apr 2, 2014
No problem

Seedeh,

The errors still continued as usual even with the explicit following of the linked directions. It appears that during the process:

<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/007> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/007> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/007> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

that the "NAND Write Start" step isn't really even trying to write before it fails.

Kies "Emergency Firmware Recovery" also yields no success due to "Firmware emergency recovery stopped due to GALAXY S4(SGH-I337) error. If the problem persists, please contact the Samsung service centre.", which does persist each time I attempt to do so.

If you have any more suggestions, I'd be more than happy to attempt them.

Thank you.

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
Hello everyone,
I'm a new poster here at XDA , and I've gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. If there are any rules that I happened to skim over that are broken, please let me know! I have performed a search of my issue, but no solution has been procured from what I can tell.

I believe that's all that needs to be listed, I'll be able to provide more information upon request if necessary.
I'll try to shorten my story to the key elements: Less than a week ago I tried to root, unlock, and flash a custom ROM to my S4 to no avail. I completed the rooting successfully and I believe I may have bypassed unlocking it via LOKI, but the ROM did not install. Since that failed, I've been trying for three days to completely restore my phone to stock and just deal with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. I can flash (through ODIN) my phone to stock 4.3 and everything is fine except for a lack of WiFi and Data. This is where my conundrum comes in to play.

Knox seems to display a message stating "The device has detected an application attempting to perform actions that are not permitted. These actions have been blocked. It is recommended that you restart your device." anytime that I attempt to turn WiFi on. The widget and the setting in options will attempt to turn on for a split second and turn off prior to displaying this security message. It's as if Knox believes my WiFi is attempting to access parts of my phone that are restricted. My data is able to be turned on in the settings, but no 3g/4g is ever utilized. I figured an update off of 4.3 would help remedy this issue, but I can't seem to update my phone through any other means (ODIN, Kies, no OTA due to no WiFi/Data, etc.).

I've run out of different combinations of the keywords about my problem to search for in Google and any question about my problem was asked approximately April-October 2013, not answered, and not many more similar questions have risen since then.. which leads me to believe that this fix should be relatively easy.

On an S3 forum thread (I know, different device) I read that there could be corruption of my Nandroid system, but I'm not even sure what that entails. The user answering implied that the phone was done for. Again, though, this was a separate thread for another user about a Galaxy S3.

Well, apologies for the wall of text, folks. If you are willing to assist me, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you very much for reading my issue and I hope assistance can be organized.

Loki is for MF3 not for MK2. So you should just Odin back to stock. Here are the tar files.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279.

If that didn't work, then follow ted77USA's guide.

Once you are back on Stock MK2 firmware, here are your options. Have a good read of this guide.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

Be sure to thank the op in the threads that help you & of the developers of the roms you flash. Good luck :fingers-crossed: & remember, reading saves phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmpGuitarChase
Apr 2, 2014
Loki is for MF3 not for MK2. So you should just Odin back to stock. Here are the tar files.

Once you are back on Stock MK2 firmware, here are your options. Have a good read of this guide.

Be sure to thank the op in the threads that help you & of the developers of the roms you flash. Good luck :fingers-crossed: & remember, reading saves phones.

John The Rhino,

Thank you for you assistance. I will surely give credit where credit is due :)

I've attempted the XDA Full Odin Tar MK2 link's instructions three times on two separate computers (one w8 and one w7) to no avail. I've triple-checked the instructions, but my Odin always fails when attempting to Complete(Write).

NAND Write Start!
sbl2.mbn
sbl3.mbn
rpm.mbn
aboot.mbn

Complete(Write) Operation Failed
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Odin settings: Auto Reboot checked, F. Reset Time checked, PDA = I337MK2_Full_Odin_Tar.tar file, nothing else is checked.
Device: Dev mode activated, USB debugging active, this is all verified after a recovery-initiated factory reset, device is in download mode.
Computer(s): Samsung Android ADB Interface drivers are installed, Odin does show a yellow bar upon device connection. MicroUSB cable is the default one that came with the device, all USB ports have been tried with the same results.

I tried to be as thorough as possible with my setup. I'll see if my process is correct now just in case that will help.

• [Fixing Device to Working Status w/o wifi/data permissions] Flashed AP_I337UCUEMK2_1921628_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 via Odin
  • Automatic Reboot via Odin
  • [Device is back to working status w/o data/wifi permissions (No reset has been done)]
  • Power off
  • Reboot in Recovery Mode (Volume up + Home + Power)
  • Wipe data/factory reset command
  • Wipe cache (just in case)
  • Reboot
  • [Phone is now factory reset 4.3 MK2 (WiFi/Data permissions denied still]
  • Enable developer options
  • Enable USB debugging and Screen Stay Awake during charging
  • Power off
  • Boot into download mode (Volume down + Home + Power)
  • Open Odin3 v1.85
  • Bar in Odin for COM Port is yellow
  • Auto reboot & F. Reset Time are both checked
  • Load I337MK2_Combined_Odin_Tar\I337MK2_Full_Odin_Tar.tar.md5 in PDA slot
  • Screenshot of Odin before "START" http://i.imgur.com/oXufVNQ.png
  • Odin START
  • Wait for Odin to check .md5 compatibility
  • <ID:0/005> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> I337MK2_Full_Odin_Tar.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
    <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    <ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/005> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
    <ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
    <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/005> sbl1.mbn
    <ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/005> sbl2.mbn
    <ID:0/005> sbl3.mbn
    <ID:0/005> rpm.mbn
    <ID:0/005> aboot.mbn
    <ID:0/005>
    <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
  • Back to where these points began

Apologies for the length, but again I wanted to be as thorough as possible. My WiFi still won't turn on due to permissions issues and Data is on, but no 3g/4g/LTE comes through.

Surely I'm just missing an essential step or two.
Can you offer any further advice on this matter?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Odin can be finicky, try different usb ports, 2.0 not 3.0, and make sure you're using the cable that came with your device. I don't see that your doing anything wrong, keep trying.

Sent from my Nexus 5

sw1173

Jan 23, 2011
Palm Beach, FL
The bootloader on MK2 and later is encrypted and without the key it will always fail. ODIN sees the ABOOT is locked and cannot flash the complete image. AT&T and Verizon have chosen this method to keep you off their cheaper competitors. I had to take my I337 to Best Buy Samsung experience to have it re flashed so that it would boot after a refused OTA from MDL and now it is a paperweight.

Apr 2, 2014
Odin can be finicky, try different usb ports, 2.0 not 3.0, and make sure you're using the cable that came with your device. I don't see that your doing anything wrong, keep trying.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I don't think Odin is the issue as it flashes what I like to call "The cure-firmware" .md5 AP_I337UCUEMK2_1921628_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5) file just fine every time with no issues with Odin. Only when I try to flash that file, it works. I wish there was a way to tell what exactly is going wrong with the other files. I also can't seem to find where I located this file, but whatever it's doing works on my S4. I'd like to find either a 4.2.2 or 4.4.2 version of this stock OS that would work.

I'm beginning to wonder if it'd be more worthwhile to reroot, reset the flag binary counter, reset, and drive an hour and a half away to the closest AT&T store and see if they can fix my device. Does this sound like it may be my best course of action?

Again, thanks for all the help guys. I means a lot.

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
There is no way to downgrade to 4.2.2 from MK2. The bootloader is locked. Read the guide for MK2 it will help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Check your APN settings re enter according to correct settings posted on XDA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Apr 2, 2014
Hey guys,

Solution confirmed!

I remedied the situation by flashing an NB1 firmware on the device. I'm aware that this firmware has a locked bootloader, but Loki is evidently a solution to that problem. I'll cross that bridge eventually when I cross it.

You guys are terrific and I really appreciate all the assistance that you've offered.

Take care.

L Chupacabra

Feb 11, 2014
Hey guys,

Solution confirmed!

I remedied the situation by flashing an NB1 firmware on the device. I'm aware that this firmware has a locked bootloader, but Loki is evidently a solution to that problem. I'll cross that bridge eventually when I cross it.

You guys are terrific and I really appreciate all the assistance that you've offered.

Take care.

Loki does not work with MF3 and up

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
Hey guys,

Solution confirmed!

Take care.

Don't flash Loki to your phone, as it's only for MF3 not MK2 or above. You need to read the guide, which obviously you still haven't or you wouldn't be talking about flashing Loki on the new 4.4.2 Kit Kat firmware. Reading saves phones!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2014
Don't flash Loki to your phone, as it's only for MF3 not MK2 or above. You need to read the guide, which obviously you still haven't or you wouldn't be talking about flashing Loki on the new 4.4.2 Kit Kat firmware. Reading saves phones!

John The Rhino,

Thank you for the advice. I posted in a hurry earlier out of excitement and stated the incorrect method as you've pointed out. I'll be sure to be extremely thorough in the future when I decide to flash new software to my device. You've been a tremendous help and it is greatly appreciated.

Take care until my next issue. Haha.

Chase

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
John The Rhino,

Thank you for the advice. I posted in a hurry earlier out of excitement and stated the incorrect method as you've pointed out. I'll be sure to be extremely thorough in the future when I decide to flash new software to my device. You've been a tremendous help and it is greatly appreciated.

Take care until my next issue. Haha.

Chase

You're welcome. I'm glad it all worked out for you. As they say in the construction business, measure twice, cut once. Well same here, except I'd recommend as do others to read thrice (3x) FLASH once. Then you'll rarely have issues. Enjoy.

Reactions: kpirnie

buxtor

Apr 22, 2010
i337 same issue as original post

i have done the same research as posted in this link and read exhaustively every means google XDA and all the other pages dealing with rooting and flashing my AT&T s4 i337. I have ended up in the same boat as this guy with:
Baseband version - I337UCUFNB1
Build Number - JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2

i have attempted Kingo Loki, Motochopper, Odin(4 or 5 versions) adb flash in Linux(2 builds) and Winblows 7. My original desire was to have this build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJLKX_QWSpc

which got my hopes up immensely, as having wasted days upon days several times over the course of the last 9 months rooting this i337. The guy in the vid says he was able to get UT up and running following guidance from XDA. I want to be able to flash a twrp-like dual boot recovery to my device maintaining Andy functionality using UT as a daily driver.

I have read, as reading saves phones, everything I can glean from the aforementioned posts and forms, researched this thing to death and neded up with a phone with the knox-? security message listed in the original post. I have no Idea where to go from here, but know you guys do, as like a myriad of others, I worship this site like a god.
Please help an old retired disabled veteran of most of the sandy wars in the past 25 years. All I have now are my devices which bring me some comfort to my days.
I really need your help, as I've tried seemingly all and have a semi-dead i337.

buxtor, aka, Chief

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What did you use to get back to stock

Did you use this tutorial?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279 cause if you didn't, do.

No problem

Hello everyone,

Sent from my Nexus 5