[Q]Strange folder : .eCtcQjbu1dgnvtFnvnr6yepTp1M=

Search This thread

pavl0v_xda

Dec 5, 2011
Hello, I would like to ask if somboby know for what is : .eCtcQjbu1dgnvtFnvnr6yepTp1M= folder in internnal memory and SD Card?

Also, I have problem with some images....you can see the attached file....the files are brocken and not usable.(all those images are only on SD card)? What si this problem with SD Card?

I'm not sure if we have connections between the 2 questions.

Thank you in advance.

gripfly

Jul 13, 2013
Hello, I would like to ask if somboby know for what is : .eCtcQjbu1dgnvtFnvnr6yepTp1M= folder in internnal memory and SD Card?

Also, I have problem with some images....you can see the attached file....the files are brocken and not usable.(all those images are only on SD card)? What si this problem with SD Card?

I'm not sure if we have connections between the 2 questions.

Thank you in advance.

Is the folder empty or is something in the folder?

gripfly

Jul 13, 2013
Aha ok. I think an app created the folder with the .nomedia file. The .nomedia file hides for example pictures in gallery app.

androidfreak70

Feb 12, 2014
here!
Every android update we are getting an extra folder lol

TapaTalked from my Xperia™ Z (C660²) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
The .nomedia file that is usually created to hide media (audio/video) is a zero byte file. This OTOH, is an 80 byte file with some gibberish that appears to be encoded in various languages. Definitely a marker file from some malicious programme. Could be even towelroot!

Here's the text from the .nomedia file copied from es file explorer text editor:
ĄЏ우굏庙낉࿊袞၆➕

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2014
Yes, But, Why, And Why Now...

Just got this folder with cryptic extension .eCtcQjbu1dgnvtFnvnr6yepTp1M= an hour ago, with its 1 KB .nomedia file (*), when I resumed my tablet on the PC USB (99% held ok for 9 hours),

BUT—Windows (7) also complained that the external sdcard (the location of said) needed to be scanned...which...was also all okay (after a lengthy scan time on 16 GB)...

I have the uptodate OfficeSuite 7 (com.mobisystems.office version 7.5.2129; USB storage in use by the PC), as well as the oem OfficeSuite (ver 1.5.290; enabled but never used)...

(N.B. Sometimes when I turn On the USB storage the estrongs file manager app will complain.)

Ray.

* .nomedia says 4ÇX‚LÍOýÞÏцXËøôÍðn@†;··!O.bÿ)=îŽ}ål§Cÿ“Ì6¥ÛÎuÈ‹AüÎÊ{bÜgã’=TÄ ÎQA&b0ôE

The .nomedia file that is usually created to hide media (audio/video) is a zero byte file. This OTOH, is an 80 byte file with some gibberish that appears to be encoded in various languages. Definitely a marker file from some malicious programme. Could be even towelroot!

Here's the text from the .nomedia file copied from es file explorer text editor:
ĄЏ우굏庙낉࿊袞၆➕

Did you ever figure this out for sure? I am curious what made you think it might be towelroot? I used that APK but it is not on my system anymore and I just had another strange directory appear with naming similar to the ones in this thread.

I do not have the office application or others mentioned in this thread so that rules those out.

I can tell you that the directory name is clearly Base64 encoded. It decodes to more characters but I don't know their meaning yet (looks like gibberish/random).

In the last month the directory has appeared twice on my internal storage and SD card in the root. Both times I deleted it along with the .nomedia file that was 80 bytes.

One other detail... I noticed most threads about this topic are related to Xperia phones but I happen to have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
Yup. I transfer files between my devices, and I had this folder on both of my nexus (Nexi?) N7 and N10! This Folder on. Dell 7 disappeared: after reflash using mykit_batch. Surprisingly, after formatting and reinstalling from flashtool, both XZ are clean now.... go figure!

Edit...
This is the nomedia text from my N10
クク誣コセル_}-橸2掛アモヌ」ナZtツマスユ��
j"zルュツレc[k「�絵4─Lユ"ヘ!殼�6ネッ�閭堕ワ�jIn*

Dead Cookies leave no trails...

Last edited:
Finally. I solved what caused these strange directories and files for me.

In my case it wasn't the transfer of files. It was a an app. Others had mentioned OfficeSuite caused it and I found out they were right, but I didn't have OfficeSuite which confused me.

I found out I had the Oxford English Dictionary which was from the same company as OfficeSuite.

Every time I started the app it would re-create the folder and .nomedia files.

My phone is rooted so I did a little more looking in to it and there is a file in the application's directory under /data/data/<appname>

So in my case it was:
/data/data/com.mobisystems.msdict.embedded.wireless.oxford.dictionaryofenglish.full/

Under that folder there is another folder called "files" which contains a strange file called ".mssnDatabase2". If you notice the file is 80 bytes in size. It happens to contain the exact same data as the .nomedia files that are created.

So that's how I figured out what was creating the strange folders for me. I hope that helps others.

BTW, the application (the dictionary) in my case appears to send the company quite a bit of info they don't need so I uninstalled it. You might want to check yours too.

4Freedom

Jul 9, 2013
I have this .eCtcQjbu1dgnvtFnvnr6yepTp1M= folder too with inside a .nomedia file
I dont know which app created it but i think it is office suite because i installed it and few others apk. However if i delete it after some time it come back.

Just to say

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have similar folder and i found that "Office suite" create it.
    Finally. I solved what caused these strange directories and files for me.

In my case it wasn't the transfer of files. It was a an app. Others had mentioned OfficeSuite caused it and I found out they were right, but I didn't have OfficeSuite which confused me.

I found out I had the Oxford English Dictionary which was from the same company as OfficeSuite.

Every time I started the app it would re-create the folder and .nomedia files.

My phone is rooted so I did a little more looking in to it and there is a file in the application's directory under /data/data/<appname>

So in my case it was:
    /data/data/com.mobisystems.msdict.embedded.wireless.oxford.dictionaryofenglish.full/

Under that folder there is another folder called "files" which contains a strange file called ".mssnDatabase2". If you notice the file is 80 bytes in size. It happens to contain the exact same data as the .nomedia files that are created.

So that's how I figured out what was creating the strange folders for me. I hope that helps others.

BTW, the application (the dictionary) in my case appears to send the company quite a bit of info they don't need so I uninstalled it. You might want to check yours too.
    An OfficeSuite folder. A genius way to name it, whatever the dev was smoking.