[Q] Can a ROM be flashed without using the USB port?

Search This thread

Zephster

Nov 28, 2014
Hi all,
I picked up a TN7 with a damagend usb port and im wondering if it is possible to flash cwm and roms using an sd card only? I have soldered a usb cable to provide power and plan on fitting a wireless charger in the future.

I installed the ota updates to 4.4.2 but im now having rapid battery drain (1% per 2mins) so wanted to try 4.3 etc to see if it is any better...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Zeph

Zephster

Nov 28, 2014
Hi again,

Does anyone have any advice on this? Previously i've installed custom roms on an old hannspad which I was able to do by placing CWM, the rom and kernal all on an external sd card and could then flash them in order through the bootloader. Does anybody know if this is possible on th TN7?

Cheers in advance,
Zeph.

share_needles

Oct 24, 2014
Yes you can. I think it depends on your recovery though. If you can find a way to upload the TWRP recovery though the SD card then you're all set.

I had issues with my device and I used a stock 4.3rom and uploaded it though TWRP. In order to get TWRP though I had to unlock the bootloader and upload it through the fastboot menu which is all done through a USB cable. Sorry if that doesn't help but that's how I did it.

I think your first step is to find out if you can unlock the bootloader without a USB connection and or attempt to upload a custom recovery like TWRP.