BRICKED phone flashing kernel

Search This thread

ronschuck

Account currently disabled
Mar 11, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
I was running Scotts CleanRom 4.25 on my s3 and flashed Saberkernel.13.4 and it bricked my sg3.. will not boot into recovery.. the kernal works on my note 2.. but just thought I would post to prevent others from making same mistake. I done the battery pull. and can only get a red light to come on , on the top left of the device. Even tried a second battery I have from wife's s3.. same thing.. and it is not recognized with usb chord either. Had to ship it back to Samsung...

sleevasteve

Mar 21, 2012
I was running Scotts CleanRom 4.25 on my s3 and flashed Saberkernel.13.4 and it bricked my sg3.. will not boot into recovery.. the kernal works on my note 2.. but just thought I would post to prevent others from making same mistake. I done the battery pull. and can only get a red light to come on , on the top left of the device. Even tried a second battery I have from wife's s3.. same thing.. and it is not recognized with usb chord either. Had to ship it back to Samsung...

Aaaaand that's why you don't flash anything that's not made specifically for your phone, unless you know it's compatible. Sorry for your loss though. Can you get into download mode? Guess it's too late now, if you already sent it back, but I'm sure you tried to Odin back to stock..

Sent from my Inverted Beans ROM @ 240 DPI

Last edited:

ronschuck

Account currently disabled
Mar 11, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Aaaaand that's why you don't flash anything that's not made specifically for your phone, unless you know it's compatible. Sorry for your loss though. Can you get into download mode? Guess it's too late now, if you already sent it back, but I'm sure you tried to Odin back to stock..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

yes.. i tried Odin several times.. I could never get the phone to show up on my pc.. reinstalled drivers. rebooted..couldnt get into download mode for anything.. after a day of trying everything.. I said.. OK... I quit... good thing is .. it was my backup phone that I flash with as a hobby.. still have my note 2..

sleevasteve

Mar 21, 2012
yes.. i tried Odin several times.. I could never get the phone to show up on my pc.. reinstalled drivers. rebooted..couldnt get into download mode for anything.. after a day of trying everything.. I said.. OK... I quit... good thing is .. it was my backup phone that I flash with as a hobby.. still have my note 2..

Kinda like me ;) I still use my S3 as a backup phone for streaming music on Wi-Fi/hotspot, playing games, hooking it up to my tv, and flashing ROM's when I get an itch, and don't feel like changing my current Note setup. I really like the Galaxy Mod ROM for the S3 mainly because it has Multiwindow, which I can no longer live without!

Sent from my Inverted Beans ROM @ 240 DPI

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
So, you flashed a Note 2 kernel that is for an Exynos SoC to the SGS3, which is a Qualcomm SoC? I'm not sure why anyone would even think to try this in the first place, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to warn everyone. Also, this is exactly the reason VZW locks the bootloader, because people do things like this and then get warranty replacements.

As for fixing it, you should be able to, but you likely need a USB jig to force it into download mode, then a full Odin tar plus a PIT file so you can re-partition properly.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Exactly what imnuts said. People sending their phones back for warranty replacement due to mistakes THEY made themselves is exactly why verizon is locking bootloaders and why rooting voids your warranty. If people took responsibility for their own actions, the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for the consequences.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
This may be the most ridiculous thread I've seen in a long time. But only the fact instead of paying for his mistake he thinks some how is Samsung responsibly, but how completely ridiculous he was to knowingly flash a note 2 kernel on a s3.

op why do you think there are different sub forums for phones and even carriers. You're probably one of the people who flashed an international ROM too. ...Then sent your hard bricked phone in for warranty

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fearjego

Nov 12, 2008
so you guys get all high and mighty and tell the guy he screwed up. I think he knows. cut the guy some slack. we've all made mistakes flashing. some bigger than others. he knows what he did wrong. no need to be complete jerks. this is why xda sucks now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
so you guys get all high and mighty and tell the guy he screwed up. I think he knows. cut the guy some slack. we've all made mistakes flashing. some bigger than others. he knows what he did wrong. no need to be complete jerks. this is why xda sucks now.

Screwing up is forgetting to check the md5 and soft briking. Flashing a kernel made for a different phone ON PURPOSE then, instead of paying for it himself, decides it's somehow Samsung fault. Oh and then posting here like it's the kernels fault is ignorance!

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Screwing up is forgetting to check the md5 and soft briking. Flashing a kernel made for a different phone ON PURPOSE then, instead of paying for it himself, decides it's somehow Samsung fault. Oh and then posting here like it's the kernels fault is ignorance!

Uh forgetting to check MD5 can be more than just screwing up. Do that with an HTC hboot that is corrupt and no soft brick for you!

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010

Lol you realize he sent the phone back 6 mos ago?

Instead of criticizing, just help the person. We all make mistakes. Just find the Odin stock zip of your device. Here's a fix: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2065470

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: hopesrequiem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, you flashed a Note 2 kernel that is for an Exynos SoC to the SGS3, which is a Qualcomm SoC? I'm not sure why anyone would even think to try this in the first place, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to warn everyone. Also, this is exactly the reason VZW locks the bootloader, because people do things like this and then get warranty replacements.

As for fixing it, you should be able to, but you likely need a USB jig to force it into download mode, then a full Odin tar plus a PIT file so you can re-partition properly.
    And this is why most people should not be allowed to root and ROM phones....

Exactly what imnuts said. People sending their phones back for warranty replacement due to mistakes THEY made themselves is exactly why verizon is locking bootloaders and why rooting voids your warranty. If people took responsibility for their own actions, the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for the consequences.
    Should change the title to I bricked my phone by flashing a kernel that was not made for my phone. The kernel did not brick your phone you did by making a really bad decision.
    This thread is bad and you should feel bad, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app