[Q] Bad digitizer or software issue? Random input.

Search This thread

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
My M8 is on stock ROM, rooted with Xposed and a handful of modules.

Half the time I'm in the Play Store viewing a list of my installed apps, my phone will somehow register a touch anywhere randomly on the display while I'm not touching the screen in any way. Initially I assumed it was a busted digitizer, but it ONLY does this while I'm in the Play Store, from what I've noticed at least. My phone does this while unplugged from any charger/cable.

Also, a lot of times while I'm using the phone while charging, the digitizer will freak the hell out while I'm touching it and register inputs all over the screen and very rapidly. I've seen this on other phones as well while using a crappy non-OEM charger, but this phone seems very much more sensitive to what charger you're using. Chargers that worked fine on my Note 2 and my wife's current GS4 make my M8's digitizer freak out. Has anyone else noticed this?

FYI, I can see these random inputs by enabling "show touches" in the developer options. I'll see touches register on the screen without me touching the phone at all in both of the scenarios above.

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013

Half the time I'm in the Play Store viewing a list of my installed apps, my phone will somehow register a touch anywhere randomly on the display while I'm not touching the screen in any way. Initially I assumed it was a busted digitizer, but it ONLY does this while I'm in the Play Store, from what I've noticed at least. My phone does this while unplugged from any charger/cable.

Also, a lot of times while I'm using the phone while charging, the digitizer will freak the hell out while I'm touching it and register inputs all over the screen and very rapidly. I've seen this on other phones as well while using a crappy non-OEM charger, but this phone seems very much more sensitive to what charger you're using. Chargers that worked fine on my Note 2 and my wife's current GS4 make my M8's digitizer freak out. Has anyone else noticed this?

FYI, I can see these random inputs by enabling "show touches" in the developer options. I'll see touches register on the screen without me touching the phone at all in both of the scenarios above.

Are you using any sort of cases/screen protectors? If so try taking them off and seeing if the issue persists. Also wipe down the screen and get rid of any smudges and fingerprints and see if that fixes it as those can apparently sometimes cause this.

Lastly you can try doing a 'Factory Data Reset' from your recovery such as TWRP, I do not know if the stock recoveries have these but if they do and this is a software issue than this will solve your problem. (Requires S-OFF if it's not available in stock recovery)

If doing the factory data reset does not solve your problem than it is almost definitely a manufacturer defect.

Do take note I did my own research just now to bring you these answers and I am not capable of giving you an overly educated answer like someone else may. Good luck! & I hope the software/case solutions fix it.

Edit: Try disabling Xposed and see if the problem persists too.

Last edited:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013

It's a known issue, phantom touches. It might be software or hardware related. No known fix yet. Happens to me sometimes also. I've also only really noticed it in the Playstore.

Haven't noticed anything with different chargers, you could have a hardware problem.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
Are you using any sort of cases/screen protectors? If so try taking them off and seeing if the issue persists. Also wipe down the screen and get rid of any smudges and fingerprints and see if that fixes it as those can apparently sometimes cause this.

Lastly you can try doing a 'Factory Data Reset' from your recovery such as TWRP, I do not know if the stock recoveries have these but if they do and this is a software issue than this will solve your problem. (Requires S-OFF if it's not available in stock recovery)

If doing the factory data reset does not solve your problem than it is almost definitely a manufacturer defect.

Do take note I did my own research just now to bring you these answers and I am not capable of giving you an overly educated answer like someone else may. Good luck! & I hope the software/case solutions fix it.

Edit: Try disabling Xposed and see if the problem persists too.

Using a Supcase that doesn't touch the display and no screen protector. It does it without the case being on too.

I've recently did a full system wipe and tried a new ROM (Clean ROM) and it still does it, but only in the Play Store, which is why it's confusing me as to if it's a software or hardware issue. I've had HTC send me a replacement M8 out because of it and the new phone ( and previous 2 other phones I had hardware issue with) never did this, which makes me believe that it is indeed a hardware issue. It's just bizarre that it only happens in the Play Store.

When I flashed this new ROM though, it didn't do it initially during the setup of the phone and getting all my apps installed/updated. Once I installed Xposed, it did it, so I uninstalled Xposed to see if it continued and it did, so I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that I didn't have any "phantom touches" before installing Xposed or not.

It's a known issue, phantom touches. It might be software or hardware related. No known fix yet. Happens to me sometimes also. I've also only really noticed it in the Playstore.

Haven't noticed anything with different chargers, you could have a hardware problem.

Are you rooted and/or running Xposed as well?

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
Just want to bump this to see if anyone else is experiencing it and maybe fine a possible fix. I've replaced this phone 3 times now for different issues and would like to see if I can fix this without swapping it out again. It has gotten a tad worse now and the phantom touches have extended into Hangouts when I initially open it and start typing into a conversation, it will register taps on the keyboard and I have to delete the erroneous input immediately upon the keyboard opening. Otherwise, I don't see it anywhere else in any other apps or situations. Friggin weird. It has followed me across ROMs and factory resets. So I'm guessing it's just a weird-ass hardware issue.

mrvearn

Jan 8, 2010
KL
I also facing this issue yesterday & getting worst today. I on ViperRom stock, no xposed or whatsoever.. just viper rom.. this phone just 2 months in my hand.... not only the phantom touches, but dead band as well...
did you send to service centre to get it fix or replacement?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I also facing this issue yesterday & getting worst today. I on ViperRom stock, no xposed or whatsoever.. just viper rom.. this phone just 2 months in my hand.... not only the phantom touches, but dead band as well...
did you send to service centre to get it fix or replacement?
Mine eventually resolved itself. I was only having Phantom touches on Google Apps. Mainly the playstore and Gmail.

Playstore updated and the issue went away, started using inbox instead of Gmail and it also went away. Haven't had a problem since.

Your issue sounds like it might be more of an issue, but updating both of those apps fixed my problems.

Kaushik@9xda

Sep 1, 2016
i too have same prob

Any fixes for the phantom touch??