[Q] Stuck in RElocked bootloader cannot unlock

Search This thread

jaqzilch

Mar 16, 2014
Hello, I've been raking up the other xda posts all night and can't seem to find the right solution for my situation. Am a total noob so would really appreciate any instructions, whether to solve the problem or to point me to the right post. Quite lost here.

So, I've been trying to return my HTC one to stock (hk version; CID: HTC__622; modelid: PN0714000) and got into trouble. I used to have CM 10.2 with TWRP recovery. So I used TWRP to install what I thought was a stock ROM (not sure if I'm using the terms right) My current situation, in gist:

(1) Can only load into bootloader, if reboot normally then I get htc splash screen then black screen. -->Refuses to boot into the operating system!!!!!! All I get is the htc flash screen then the black screen until eternity (or I force reboot it by holding vol down and power button under strong light-- tip I got from these parts)

(2) Bootloader (top of) reads "tampered" (which I'm least concerned with) and "relocked"
(at one point it said "security warning" as well… but then that disappeared-- see below)

(3) I cannot use adb via either my Mac/ Windows, I have downloaded google SDK and updated HTC drivers on both machines-- adb devices command simply does not register my phone
(4) atm I am only communicating to my phone via fastboot commands… of which I know next to nth except what are commonly found in these forums…
(5) My machine is still S-off. Before my troubles, it was hboot 1.54, after messing around with it, it's now 1.55 if that makes any difference.

I desperate need my phone for the working week…. PLEASE HELP!!!
FYI: I'm on a Mac, but I do have access to a Windows machine running Windows 7

What I have done so far:-

(1) So I was trying to get back to stock, right? First thing I did was used HTC1guru's Guru reset. The ROM I installed was actually for the Asia WWE variant.

Anyway, so I installed it, and it worked, to the extent that I could get OTA notifications and downloaded the update. But HTC could not verify it and did not allow me to install the update. Because I wanted the Kitkat update, I looked up the net to see what could be the problem.

(2) The next mistake I made (probably a mistake) was to think that I had to relock the bootloader. So I did that. Now my Bootloader is relocked and I cannot, for the life of me unlock it again (I've tried going through the HTC dev steps and flashing the new Unlock_code.bin again but I can't unlock it)
At this point, the bootloader also read "security warning" under "relocked"
Subsequent to relocking it, I can't get into my operating system anymore. The only 2 outcomes I get on reboot are (1) HTC splash screen followed by black screen; OR (2) bootloader (if I do power + vol down)

(3) As one 'brilliant' idea followed another 'brilliant' idea, I also did the following list of silly and probably mistaken things our of sheer desperation. Throwing the kitchen sink in really. But none of them really worked because they all say sign not verified or sth to that effect-- I honestly am beginning to forget the order in which things unfolded… but if that's relevant, let me know and I'll try to recall more details.

(a) flash a recovery.img (stock, for both Asia WWE and HK version which I found on the web; and also TWRP)
(b) flash boot.img from Asia WWE
(c )tried rumrunner (can't do because adb won't work)

:rolleyes:

My latest attempt has been flash oem reboot RUU (then used zip of HK version 1.29.708 Rom zip)

and my phone is now stuck at the grey HTC on black background screen one gets after the first reboot RUU command (terminal has not prompted me to enter a second rebootRUU command yet!)

I don't know what to do. I don't even know if I should unplug the phone and redo the rebootRUU thing…
:crying: PLEASE HELP!!!!

jaqzilch

Mar 16, 2014
FURTHER to the above

My latest attempt has been flash oem reboot RUU (then used zip of HK version 1.29.708 Rom zip)

and my phone is now stuck at the grey HTC on black background screen one gets after the first reboot RUU command (terminal has not prompted me to enter a second rebootRUU command yet!)

I don't know what to do. I don't even know if I should unplug the phone and redo the rebootRUU thing…

I've unplugged the phone, rebooted into bootloader, and made a second attempt to rebootRUU with HKvariant 1.29 zip… still gets stuck after 1st rebootRUU command (i.e. black screen with grey HTC logo)

Please do help, :eek:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Hello, I've been raking up the other xda posts all night and can't seem to find the right solution for my situation. Am a total noob so would really appreciate any instructions, whether to solve the problem or to point me to the right post. Quite lost here.

So, I've been trying to return my HTC one to stock (hk version; CID: HTC__622; modelid: PN0714000) and got into trouble. I used to have CM 10.2 with TWRP recovery. So I used TWRP to install what I thought was a stock ROM (not sure if I'm using the terms right) My current situation, in gist:

(1) Can only load into bootloader, if reboot normally then I get htc splash screen then black screen. -->Refuses to boot into the operating system!!!!!! All I get is the htc flash screen then the black screen until eternity (or I force reboot it by holding vol down and power button under strong light-- tip I got from these parts)

(2) Bootloader (top of) reads "tampered" (which I'm least concerned with) and "relocked"
(at one point it said "security warning" as well… but then that disappeared-- see below)

(3) I cannot use adb via either my Mac/ Windows, I have downloaded google SDK and updated HTC drivers on both machines-- adb devices command simply does not register my phone
(4) atm I am only communicating to my phone via fastboot commands… of which I know next to nth except what are commonly found in these forums…
(5) My machine is still S-off. Before my troubles, it was hboot 1.54, after messing around with it, it's now 1.55 if that makes any difference.

(1) So I was trying to get back to stock, right? First thing I did was used HTC1guru's Guru reset. The ROM I installed was actually for the Asia WWE variant.

Anyway, so I installed it, and it worked, to the extent that I could get OTA notifications and downloaded the update. But HTC could not verify it and did not allow me to install the update. Because I wanted the Kitkat update, I looked up the net to see what could be the problem.

(2) The next mistake I made (probably a mistake) was to think that I had to relock the bootloader. So I did that. Now my Bootloader is relocked and I cannot, for the life of me unlock it again (I've tried going through the HTC dev steps and flashing the new Unlock_code.bin again but I can't unlock it)
Subsequent to relocking it, I can't get into my operating system anymore. The only 2 outcomes I get on reboot are (1) HTC splash screen followed by black screen; OR (2) bootloader (if I do power + vol down)

(3) As one 'brilliant' idea followed another 'brilliant' idea, I also did the following list of silly and probably mistaken things our of sheer desperation. Throwing the kitchen sink in really. But none of them really worked because they all say sign not verified or sth to that effect-- I honestly am beginning to forget the order in which things unfolded… but if that's relevant, let me know and I'll try to recall more details.

(a) flash a recovery.img (stock, for both Asia WWE and HK version which I found on the web; and also TWRP)

Ok...
First flash a recovery(use Case 2):

No Recovery? No Problem​

Oh sh*t here we can have several kind of problems :eek: Still no problem ;) But let's first download the recovery.
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
(MD5 hash: 72067AEFB69541D40E8420D7AA46408D)

Case 1 - Normal error with unlocked and s off or s on:
  1. Boot your phone into the fastboot mode
  2. Eat a piece of cheese
  3. Enter this command
    Code:
    fastboot erase cache
  4. Followed by this command
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery "C:\path_to_recovery\recovery_name.img"
  5. And enter the recovery and follow the next piece of guide

Case 2 - For some stupid reason you are s off (that's a MUST) and Relocked:
  1. Sorry, you need this recovery:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?ni177radvko5xu7 (If it doesn't work, PM me)
    (MD5 hash: F2893CDC17C788B2E49AECEA8C02DCB4)
  2. Boot your awesome HTC One into fastboot
  3. Change CID to superCID using this command (make sure you used 8 times a '1')
    Code:
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111
  4. Enter this command
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
  5. Wait until your Pc recognized your phone again and enter this command
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip "C:\path_to_zip\firmware.zip"
    (This may delete all your data)
  6. Happy rebooting with this command
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
  7. Enter the recovery and let's unlock the bootloader...
  8. You can unlock your bootloader using these commands(thanks @scotty1223 for your thread!):
    [how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)
  9. If this doesn't work in recovery because you get superSU or permission errors, use this tool here instead:
    http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/guru-bootloader-reset/
  10. You can simply push the ZIP file to your HTC One using one of these commands:

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /sdcard/bootloader_reset.zip

If this one results in supersu and permission errors, try these paths(Thanks @Sneakyghost for this advice!)

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /storage/emulated/0/bootloader_reset.zip

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /data/media/0/bootloader_reset.zip

Case 3 - You totally ****ed up your recovery and data partition:

Right now, I am pretty busy and I don't have time to develop this, check this guide there and post your question there, but pls don't spam @mike1986.
How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One

now you are unlocked and s off... so what we're gonna do depends on what you want to achieve... I didn't really get what you meant in the first post.. you want to be again 100% stock on a Asian ROM ?

with the unlocked bootloader and s off and the custom recovery you are pretty much able to flash the rom you want to the device... how to do this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2632736

or:

Bootloop, No OS, Totally f*cked up OS? No Problem​

THIS WILL DELETA ALL YOUR APPS AND APP DATA BUT NOT SDCARD!

• First of all, make a factory reset in TWRP... then follow the next steps.
  • Now the key step here copying the rom.zip to your sdcard. You do this this way
  • Since you are in the recovery you should be able, no.. actually will be able to use adb commands
  • To copy the rom zip us this command:

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /sdcard/rom.zip
  • If this one results in supersu and permission errors, try these paths(Thanks @Sneakyghost for this advice!)

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /storage/emulated/0/rom.zip

Code:
    adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /data/media/0/rom.zip

• Now, in the recovery, choose install and select the rom you should've just copied and install/flash it.
  • After that make a factory reset, the standart when chosing wipe in TWRP.

Happy rebooting! :D

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I've unplugged the phone, rebooted into bootloader, and made a second attempt to rebootRUU with HKvariant 1.29 zip… still gets stuck after 1st rebootRUU command (i.e. black screen with grey HTC logo)

ok, ok ok... wait with flashing RUUs... you'll mess up your phone if you continue flashing these RUUs

Last edited:
Reactions: jaqzilch

jaqzilch

Mar 16, 2014
Ok...

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

ok, ok ok... wait with flashing RUUs... you'll mess up your phone if you continue flashing these RUUs

Hello, LibertyMarine, thanks for the response!

I've already downloaded TWRP recovery from the TWRP website, is the one you give me different?

Re: Case one-- I've actually tried flashing the TWRP recovery image before, but it doesn't seem to work. Thing is, I've idiotically relocked my HTC one now, so that might be the problem.

This is what I get when I try to flash TWRP recovery:-
fastboot flash recovery TWRPrecovery.img
target reported max download size of 1526722560 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9948 KB)...
OKAY [ 11.854s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 12.707s

as for unlocking my relocked bootloader, I've tried numerous times and I simply cannot get my relocked bootloader to unlock again. Whenever I put in the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" (and yes, I've put the Unlock_code.bin into the same folder as fastboot and adb, the terminal gets stuck at "sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)…"

and nothing happens on my phone.

Re: Case two-- I'm one of those poor S-on folks so…

Re: Case 3-- looks like they need custom recovery flashed already… but (see Case one above), I can't seem to flash TWRP on my poor phone … : (

As to the last solution-- totally f-ed up OS etc…. again, I don't have TWRP… nor can I used adb

I'd be ever so grateful if I can just find a way to put twrp on my phone again! o gawd….

THanks again for all suggestions!!

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Hello, LibertyMarine, thanks for the response!

I've already downloaded TWRP recovery from the TWRP website, is the one you give me different?

Re: Case one-- I've actually tried flashing the TWRP recovery image before, but it doesn't seem to work. Thing is, I've idiotically relocked my HTC one now, so that might be the problem.

This is what I get when I try to flash TWRP recovery:-
fastboot flash recovery TWRPrecovery.img
target reported max download size of 1526722560 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9948 KB)...
OKAY [ 11.854s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 12.707s

yeah.. that's because you are locked ....

as for unlocking my relocked bootloader, I've tried numerous times and I simply cannot get my relocked bootloader to unlock again. Whenever I put in the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" (and yes, I've put the Unlock_code.bin into the same folder as fastboot and adb, the terminal gets stuck at "sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)…"

hmmm... have you tried redownloading/rerequesting a unlock token ?
try that... try requesting a new one and try flashing this one...

and nothing happens on my phone.

haven't had such an issue.. I'll do some research on this topic..

Re: Case two-- I'm one of those poor S-on folks so…
I don't know why.. I though you were s off... sorry... I must have commuted you with an other guy ;)

Re: Case 3-- looks like they need custom recovery flashed already… but (see Case one above), I can't seem to flash TWRP on my poor phone … : (

As to the last solution-- totally f-ed up OS etc…. again, I don't have TWRP… nor can I used adb

I'd be ever so grateful if I can just find a way to put twrp on my phone again! o gawd….

THanks again for all suggestions!!

Yeah... case 3 needs a custom recovery.. but you won't need that one anyways.. because your data partition seems to be OK :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok...

No Recovery? No Problem​

Oh sh*t here we can have several kind of problems :eek: Still no problem ;) But let's first download the recovery.
    http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m7/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
    (MD5 hash: 72067AEFB69541D40E8420D7AA46408D)

Case 1 - Normal error with unlocked and s off or s on:
    1. Boot your phone into the fastboot mode
    2. Eat a piece of cheese
    3. Enter this command
      Code:
      fastboot erase cache
    4. Followed by this command
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery "C:\path_to_recovery\recovery_name.img"
    5. And enter the recovery and follow the next piece of guide

Case 2 - For some stupid reason you are s off (that's a MUST) and Relocked:
    1. Sorry, you need this recovery:
      https://www.mediafire.com/?ni177radvko5xu7 (If it doesn't work, PM me)
      (MD5 hash: F2893CDC17C788B2E49AECEA8C02DCB4)
    2. Boot your awesome HTC One into fastboot
    3. Change CID to superCID using this command (make sure you used 8 times a '1')
      Code:
      fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    4. Enter this command
      Code:
      fastboot oem rebootRUU
    5. Wait until your Pc recognized your phone again and enter this command
      Code:
      fastboot flash zip "C:\path_to_zip\firmware.zip"
      (This may delete all your data)
    6. Happy rebooting with this command
      Code:
      fastboot reboot-bootloader
    7. Enter the recovery and let's unlock the bootloader...
    8. You can unlock your bootloader using these commands(thanks @scotty1223 for your thread!):
      [how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)
    9. If this doesn't work in recovery because you get superSU or permission errors, use this tool here instead:
      http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/guru-bootloader-reset/
    10. You can simply push the ZIP file to your HTC One using one of these commands:

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /sdcard/bootloader_reset.zip

If this one results in supersu and permission errors, try these paths(Thanks @Sneakyghost for this advice!)

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /storage/emulated/0/bootloader_reset.zip

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_zip\zip_name.zip" /data/media/0/bootloader_reset.zip

Case 3 - You totally ****ed up your recovery and data partition:

Right now, I am pretty busy and I don't have time to develop this, check this guide there and post your question there, but pls don't spam @mike1986.
    How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One

now you are unlocked and s off... so what we're gonna do depends on what you want to achieve... I didn't really get what you meant in the first post.. you want to be again 100% stock on a Asian ROM ?

with the unlocked bootloader and s off and the custom recovery you are pretty much able to flash the rom you want to the device... how to do this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2632736

or:

Bootloop, No OS, Totally f*cked up OS? No Problem​

THIS WILL DELETA ALL YOUR APPS AND APP DATA BUT NOT SDCARD!

• First of all, make a factory reset in TWRP... then follow the next steps.
    • Now the key step here copying the rom.zip to your sdcard. You do this this way
    • Since you are in the recovery you should be able, no.. actually will be able to use adb commands
    • To copy the rom zip us this command:

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /sdcard/rom.zip
    • If this one results in supersu and permission errors, try these paths(Thanks @Sneakyghost for this advice!)

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /storage/emulated/0/rom.zip

Code:
      adb push "C:\path_to_rom\rom_name.zip" /data/media/0/rom.zip

• Now, in the recovery, choose install and select the rom you should've just copied and install/flash it.
    • After that make a factory reset, the standart when chosing wipe in TWRP.

Happy rebooting! :D