Back side is plastic?

Search This thread

Golempl

Mar 28, 2011
I was upset that the back was not glass. Then I dropped my phone on a concrete sidewalk. Instead of cracking or shattering, I got a few small dings and two itty bitty scratches. I don't believe the backside scratches that easy. I switch from a plastic cover to a wallet case and vice versa everyday. I haven't seen any new damage since the drop.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It's no difference, you had 50% chance to drop phone on right side. LOL

petymeg

Jul 8, 2009
Miskolc
Weak front and back

Hi,
I bought my Z1 Compact last saturday. I use my devices very carefully even so the backside is filled with scratces and on the front appeared couple scratches. :(
There are thin and short but I think so is not allowed on a high-end and expensive device.
Could anyone give me an e-mail adress where can I send a complain letter?

Zoidy

Jan 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I've complained to Xperia support and I've got nowhere with them. They ended up just referring me to a disclaimer in the white paper that said it can be changed at any time blah blah blah.

This was despite this white paper being changed after I bought my Z1C. It just annoys me the back scratches so easily. They've not offered any compensation at all. I do love this phone but I'm gutted about the scratches.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
replace it with glass a la Z1f

Pity. Can we disassemble ours back covers and install the Z1f one?

http://parts4mobiles.com/acatalog/SONY-Xperia-Z1-L39H-Battery-Back-Cover--Black.html

(Z1 for now, not compact or f, but I suppose it's coming...)

I don't think that it's easy, nor do I think that it's feasible in your usual home environment. But if you have required skills and tools, then of course you can =)

The main problem is the heater to remove the back and the tape and\or glue to waterproof and place it back.

PS: Try searching on youtube for z1c disassembling video, if you need more info ;)

I know that the discussion point of the thread is about whether Sony intended to deceive or not (I think not intentional), and why Japan gets glass whereas the rest of the world gets plastic

But for those who didn't know before purchase, expected glass and thus couldn't take adequate measures for protection, there is an option to pay ¥3000 (which is about $29) to replace the whole back with glass panel used in Japan.

(even if it was glass, which I also thought at time of purchase, I assumed it would still have the ASF like my Z Ultra, on which I scratched the ASF, thus making it ugly, and that is why I had applied screen protector on the back of my Z1C at time of purchase)

The replacement part, available in all 4 colours, come pre-applied with D-S sticky tape, so even though I cannot be sure about the intergrity of the waterproofing feature, at least you can get rid of the scratch.
The model number on the back would naturally say SO-02f and the NFC logo changes to Felica logo, but thats about it.

This website sells OEM replacement parts in Japan, and says that it is original Sony replacement part... I am thinking that if the original compact was only applied by tape, it cannot be too difficult to reapply the new panel...

http://moumantai.biz/?pid=69460708

I just mention this for those who have been unfortunate enough to scratch the back, and cannot live with the ugly back, there is at least an option to replace out the back panel, which by default is only applied by double-sided sticky tape.

Reactions: TheQwertiest

cc546

Oct 12, 2020
1. Z1c has plastic back while Z1f has glass back
2. Many people are waiting for Z1c here (including me), then Sony told us they won't sell it
show us why Sony is losing money....

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
I'm not really concerned about the back side as I will probably apply skin, tempered glass or both. Can anyone tell me how easily the side frame itself scratched? How visible it is when it is happened? I'm interested in white (or maybe even black), but report on any color is fine.

thermalboyz

May 1, 2008
NoWhere
I'm not really concerned about the back side as I will probably apply skin, tempered glass or both. Can anyone tell me how easily the side frame itself scratched? How visible it is when it is happened? I'm interested in white (or maybe even black), but report on any color is fine.

Side frame is made from aluminium and should be quite tough (Depends what is the surface), you could check HERE and VIDEO of Z1 Drop Test.

So far from daily used without case and not drop even once to pavements (I drop on carpet from table height), no scratches around the frame.

Reactions: trewelu

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
Side frame is made from aluminium and should be quite tough (Depends what is the surface), you could check HERE and VIDEO of Z1 Drop Test.

So far from daily used without case and not drop even once to pavements (I drop on carpet from table height), no scratches around the frame.

Thanks for the info. I plan to use a phone strap. I'am afraid the ring part might scratch the side. So far I test it on a dummy phone first (although look like the dummy itself scratch more easily). I really like the feel of the phone even if it is just a dummy and not the real z1 compact. As soon as I feel comfortable handling a larger size phone (and a glasslike plastic back), I will probably buy the z1 compact. I don't want to drop the real thing :D

LotoTutu

Dec 30, 2013
Blog about "Xperia Z1 Compact back cover VS Xperia Z1f back cover".

011.jpg

Reactions: jiayit

jiayit

Apr 14, 2013
Singapore
Side frame is made from aluminium and should be quite tough (Depends what is the surface), you could check

Noooooope. I was sitting on the ground and had my phone on top of my shoe, barely a 2 inch drop and my phone has a noticeable ding on it.
Didn't learnt my lesson, happened the next day. So I have dings on the corner of the phone and on the top of the phone. Pisses me to hell that such a high-end phone is so fragile.

What for Sony design such an exquisite phone just to have its users hide it in an ugly case?

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree, but after reading some reviews about it, it seems that even the most careful handling of the device still causes unsightly scratches. I have honestly never once dropped my phone or even caused a blemish, so if the people like me can't keep it looking new, it doesn't bode well for the long haul.

If the device cost a couple hundred less...well then....plastic would be okay imo. It's just I don't like to pay premium prices for less than premium materials. I really do like my HTC ONE, but perhaps other manufacturers will sit up & take notice that not everybody wants a big device anymore.

A couple of hundred less...simply because the back is plastic? A couple of hundred.., despite the fact that almost every Android device in the world barring a couple (HTCO, Z1) are also plastic backed and still command the same premium? Sometimes I wonder what planet some of you live on. :confused:

It is still a high quality and very solid device that is unique in specs and form factor... the main annoyance about the plastic back is the principle and how Sony handled it... in reality it's not so much of a big deal.
    Well, I went ahead and made a thread about this on the official forum http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...f-plastic-and-not-glass-as/m-p/549831#U549831

I must say Im very annoyed to find out its not glass... and the sneaky way in which Sony amended the whitepaper is pretty low. Does it really affect how I view this phone? Well, I still love it... but it's certainly not good in principle, and has somewhat marred my opinion of the quality.
    Yeah, riiiiight... When the back is getting scratched just by staying alone in the pocket, suuuure it's premium material ><""

Plastic back is really crap quality, look what happend after 4 days of intensive use.
    I just ordered shell case however I didn't expect so many scratches in just 4 days.
    I started looking for 2nd protective foil on back side however don't look like there is.
    I wish I had quality photos to show everyone. I dropped my phone and it only has a few small dings in it. One tiny tiny scratch. I haven't noticed any scratches prior to the drop or after. I'd say its pretty resilient. This is also the first time I have dropped a phone so I don't have experience with this kind of thing.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    can you quote the page number and line in new white paper, didn't find plastic word in whole document.

You do understand, that if the back was made from glass, then there would be no point to editing the whitepaper in such a way? Of course, we can pretend, that is made from glass even when it's not, till there is an explicit statement... But, hey, this whitepaper is the closest thing we can get to Sony's acknowledgement of their mistake in the misleading device description -_-