[Q] Whatsapp media

Search This thread

WarDrake

Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?

If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :
ln -s /storage/ExtSdCard/whatsapp /storage/sdcard0/whatsapp

reboot your phone and that should do it.

stluiz

Apr 21, 2010
If your phone is rooted, you can make a link from the normal whatsapp folder to the sdcard

make a whatsapp folder on your sdcard, move all of your content and delete the old one and then in console or adb as root type :

I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot

Last edited:
Reactions: endolith

WarDrake

I'm not that good with android and entering codes, how can I run the command using the phone?
I tried using folder mount but all it did was move the files and after that I couldn't open new media that came to me.

thanks a lot

If you want to enter the command in the phone directly you'll need to download a terminal emulator from the play store and enter the same commands on the phone, while on the fodler where the original whatsapp folder was located at.

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013

Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?

WarDrake

Are you sure this will work? Linux doesn't normally allow cross-device symlinks. Does android behave differently in this regard?

soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013
soft links work on linux, it's hard links that are restricted, and even then, since the whole storage procedure is now emulated in android, it shouldn't be a problem

however, you just made me think of something, he'll need to re enable 3rd party write access to the sd card or he'll just keep getting I/O errors, that's disabled on KK by default, i used "NextApp SDFix" from the play store to do it on mine.

Ah, you're right. I should have known that, otherwise how else would mount points work in general?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, is there a way to make whatsapp save media to sdcard instead of internal storage?

thanks a lot