[Q] Pushed OTA KitKat update continues to eat up my data!

Search This thread

FrankieTheSqueeler

Jun 11, 2014
I really like the way my OneMax w/verizon is and am not really interested in updating. The automatic firmware downloads is eating up my data daily. I just accepted to install it so it would stop, but it won't install due to error (it's a rooted device). I have S-Off on the phone right now and used the SuperSu unroot feature to try and let the update do it's thing just so it would stop downloading. Now, the root checker apps say I'm not rooted (but i think i still am). I tried the virtuous manual stock update but it gives me a installation aborted message while in recovery mode. Any help would be appreciated!

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
one last question, my device won't pop up on ABD devices on my PC anymore. Am I still rooted?
you only need to have stock recovery installed AND 100% stock system files. no system mods whatsoever.

assuming you enabled USB debugging under the developer options on the phone....you may need to update your version of adb/fastboot.

The root question....are you s off? If so that question is irrelevant as you only need to flash a custom recovery and flash the latest su zip from there to root any ROM...even the stock ota.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FrankieTheSqueeler

FrankieTheSqueeler

Jun 11, 2014
you only need to have stock recovery installed AND 100% stock system files. no system mods whatsoever.

assuming you enabled USB debugging under the developer options on the phone....you may need to update your version of adb/fastboot.

The root question....are you s off? If so that question is irrelevant as you only need to flash a custom recovery and flash the latest su zip from there to root any ROM...even the stock ota.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I have S-off on the phone. I will update the ADB version and retry. I don't know why I thought the su would be able to do a one-click unroot. All it ended up doing was just confusing me. I'm new to rooting and flashing, and it's fun figuring these things out. You guys are really helpful around here. I'll look for a tutorial on how to flash a custom recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think you need to have stock recovery & stock rom installed to accept the ota.
    so i have to fully unroot, update my phone then root again?

Yes, if you want the update you will.
    one last question, my device won't pop up on ABD devices on my PC anymore. Am I still rooted?