Search This thread

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
Like the title says. Every now and then people are asking how to start cooking. Some do and others can't find all the needed ingredients. I start this thread for all of you that want to start and share knowledge about cooking.

I know some of the senior cooks will take a look every now and then and contribute.

Above all, have fun and enjoy the cooking!

When is class # 1? I have played around a little with the Samsung i780 and actually flashed a ROM dump but never went far enough to learn about xip, packages, and other things. So I will stay tuned.

~~Tito~~

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 30, 2007
That's what I need to know :D, and package compiling, and ui tweaks, and some other things.

kwbr

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2007
Hello my dear fellow cooks. Everything to start is in place. To make it easy to start I added 3 pictorials to install the kitchen, extract and build your first rom and a tutorial on how to add an OEM package. Links to all necessary reading are in post #3. I also added a clean 1.19 WWE rom with OEM and SYS to make an easy start. It now is up to your imagination.

kwbr

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 17, 2007
When is class # 1? I have played around a little with the Samsung i780 and actually flashed a ROM dump but never went far enough to learn about xip, packages, and other things. So I will stay tuned.
Well, class #1 has just started since the basic documentation is in place. Let's start :)

That's what I need to know :D, and package compiling, and ui tweaks, and some other things.
I wrote a bare description to create a first OEM package. It's in post #2.

Hi,
I'm not a senior chef, but if I may, I will give you my contribute!
Great, I knew. Welcome and thanks for the support.

iSlaker

Apr 9, 2008
London & Rio de Janeiro
this EXACTLY what i was looking for. i am so happy i found all info in just one place. man, this is really good stuff. congratulations. i'll keep a close eye to this thread. will try to post my adventures too. but i must confess everytime i read the word cooking it reminds me of kitchen noises, smell of food... who invented this cooking term anyway? lol why not to say compile, build....

boyanovv

Sep 25, 2007
Big thanks to get this together. I already managed to make my first steps based on the Touch of HD ROM, so another thankls to kwbr.

NOBELOVE

Nov 11, 2004
Finally for HD....GRRRRRREAT

@kwbr
Here you are!!! it could be much easier for me to find this thread if you left me the link for the threads in your PM, anyway I found it accidently and not using the search option since I tryed it for hours but it didn't help a bit,

Anyhow thanks for opening a great helpful thread which I think it should be... sticky... sticky... sticky

After scrolling through the thread I still couldn't find answers to my questions. So here they are:

-From which folder do I need to delete the program folders that needed to be deleted? (SYS, OEM, or TEMP) Since some of them have duplicates.

-How about the registry do I need to edit anything after all or deleting the folders only would do the trick?

-What's the difference between using the buildos.exe and the buildos+package_tools-2.7 and what is the proper use for either of them?

-in some posts it mentioned that you can add a program by placing it's package to the "OEM or SYS" folder What's the difference if I put the packages in OEM folder rather than SYS folder? do i need to do any registry changes? If so then where?

-Do I need to use the buildos+package_tools-2.7 after all and along with placing the packages in the OEM or SYS folder?

Cleaning up the registry is quiete easy, too. Use an editor with a "search in files" functionality and use it in order to find the files containing your registry keys/values.

-Can you name me a good editor to use?

-What would be the best way to change in manila's, using the packages method or replace them directly from their location in the kitchen?

-The final and most delicate question is how can I integrate the registration info in a shareware program package?

johnpatcher

Jan 5, 2008
-From which folder do I need to delete the program folders that needed to be deleted? (SYS, OEM, or TEMP) Since some of them have duplicates.
Which duplicates do you have? Try to delete it from both :p.

-How about the registry do I need to edit anything after all or deleting the folders only would do the trick?
The registry entries are stored in the rgu file, which can be found within the folder. So by deleting the folder you also delete the registry entries.

-What's the difference between using the buildos.exe and the buildos+package_tools-2.7 and what is the proper use for either of them?
Personally I'm just using the "old" version, which is quite simple to deal with.

-in some posts it mentioned that you can add a program by placing it's package to the "OEM or SYS" folder What's the difference if I put the packages in OEM folder rather than SYS folder? do i need to do any registry changes? If so then where?
Afaik it makes no difference. Its just a logical seperation.

-Do I need to use the buildos+package_tools-2.7 after all and along with placing the packages in the OEM or SYS folder?
Using the "old" version works just well.

-Can you name me a good editor to use?
Personally I'm using PSPad.

-What would be the best way to change in manila's, using the packages method or replace them directly from their location in the kitchen?
Sorry, this question doesn't make sense? What do you want to change?

-The final and most delicate question is how can I integrate the registeration info in a sharaware program package?
I think it depends on the software you are talking about. You have to find out where it stores the appropriate information and then have to include it. Figuring out where it stores the information could be time intensive. Dump the registry before the registration, dump it aftwards, and then compare it using WinDiff (for instance). Its included in the kitchen. Some software may also use the filesystem, so you have to modify and/or copy some files.