Fresh from the NYC HTC Event, My Opinions

Search This thread

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
is the carousel swiping of home screens still there because I saw a vid and it didn't look like it the carousel effect was still there but I could be wrong.

There is no carousel or cube homescreen transition, its just flat screen to screen like lite sense

Is the DNA getting Sense 5? b/c that would be awesome and sense 5 prototype was spotted running on DNA? But prally not because VZW is a POS and needs a year+ to put on bloatware.

I really doubt the DNA see official sense 5....based on my limited time with it, I prefer sense4+

Fastlivin

Mar 23, 2011
I've seen a number of posts that indicate "I srsly doubt Sense 5 will see life on the DNA".

Posters range from highly credentialed developer types to usernames I don't recognize.

Are these baseless guesses or educated and informed opinions? Because I would be a little cheezed off if a phone that was basically brand new (the DNA) and was considered HTCs tentpole device on a major carrier wasn't being considered for their latest firmware. Yes, I know VZW is a stakeholder in this too, and they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to prompt releases of an OEMs latest and greatest anything.

I'm more interested in the reiteration of "Sense 5 probably isn't coming". Is this the XDA echo chamber at work, or does someone know something/has something from HTC to go on?

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
I've seen a number of posts that indicate "I srsly doubt Sense 5 will see life on the DNA".

Posters range from highly credentialed developer types to usernames I don't recognize.

Are these baseless guesses or educated and informed opinions? Because I would be a little cheezed off if a phone that was basically brand new (the DNA) and was considered HTCs tentpole device on a major carrier wasn't being considered for their latest firmware. Yes, I know VZW is a stakeholder in this too, and they don't exactly have a sterling record when it comes to prompt releases of an OEMs latest and greatest anything.

I'm more interested in the reiteration of "Sense 5 probably isn't coming". Is this the XDA echo chamber at work, or does someone know something/has something from HTC to go on?

its based on track record, and just guesswork.....honestly? even if htc made an accouncement that "the dna will receive sense5" thats not a guarantee

htc officially announced last spring that incredible 2 would have ics "by the end of august 2012"....its february 2013 and theyre preparing another gingerbread ota :rolleyes:

some will probably love sense5, other not so much....frankly i think given the rather large changes in sense5, htc and carriers are asking for a support headache if they ota an update with it to the dna/x+ gen of phones...with people being confused by blinkfeed, and *missing* features like the removed htc lockscreens (weather included) and no longer having htc skins

now htc could always add things like that back in for certain phones, but who knows

the only definitive answer will ever get on the dna getting sense5 is if an ota for it happens

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
Is the DNA getting Sense 5? b/c that would be awesome and sense 5 prototype was spotted running on DNA? But prally not because VZW is a POS and needs a year+ to put on bloatware.

I too seriously doubt the DNA will get Official Sense 5. I have never seen HTC upgrade from say 4+ to a 5+ . They always come up with some crap like the processor can't handle it and then in the same sentence say how the new Sense is more efficient. They are in the business of selling phones they want you to pay for the latest. That is certainly one area iOS beats HTC/Android.

Fastlivin

Mar 23, 2011
its based on track record, and just guesswork.....honestly? even if htc made an accouncement that "the dna will receive sense5" thats not a guarantee

htc officially announced last spring that incredible 2 would have ics "by the end of august 2012"....its february 2013 and theyre preparing another gingerbread ota :rolleyes:

some will probably love sense5, other not so much....frankly i think given the rather large changes in sense5, htc and carriers are asking for a support headache if they ota an update with it to the dna/x+ gen of phones...with people being confused by blinkfeed, and *missing* features like the removed htc lockscreens (weather included) and no longer having htc skins

now htc could always add things like that back in for certain phones, but who knows

the only definitive answer will ever get on the dna getting sense5 is if an ota for it happens
Hey, you're preaching to the choir: I'm an ex-Thunderbolt owner. ICS by 2012 Q3!

However, based on what must have been concurrent development of the DNA/J Butterfly and the HTC One, I would have to believe SOMEONE at HTC would have had an eye towards standardization across their portfolio of current-right-now devices, right? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

As someone whose knowledge of what's going on within an RUU/ROM can fill a thimble, I have no idea how significant the changes are between current Sense and v5. I just wanted to know if the grapevine was chatting, of if this was an extrapolation from HTC's less than pristine track record.

Funny, people used to ***** about how infrequently Samsungs were updated. The worm appears to have decidedly turned in that capacity.

nitsuj17

Aug 24, 2010
PA
The phone actually sounds nice I like what I heard... How did the performance feel compared to the dna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

everything felt "smoother" i guess (not saying the dna is laggy by any means), but i think that sense5 is more like *lite* sense on the one v, where as there are no assets/m10 and the roms are slimmer

there was flat transitions on the homescreen which contributed to that feel as well

app load time seemed about the same however

Reactions: regulator207

trebb

Mar 26, 2011
DC
Seeing as how it only has two hardware buttons and the home button doubles as Google Now and recent apps, is the software menu button present at the bottom of certain apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)? I'm not sure if they had any apps on the testing phones to check this, but I figured I'd ask.

If this is still present, I'm thinking someone at HTC is on crack.

jonno95

Dec 2, 2010
I can't wait to see a comparison of the camera. Down the road all i will really have left from the device are the pictures.

Also, i'd like a smaller screen size like the inc 4g (i know i'm a minority here, but at least i'm not asking for zoolanders phone ;)

dsb9938

Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Seeing as how it only has two hardware buttons and the home button doubles as Google Now and recent apps, is the software menu button present at the bottom of certain apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)? I'm not sure if they had any apps on the testing phones to check this, but I figured I'd ask.

If this is still present, I'm thinking someone at HTC is on crack.

Back btn doubles as menu.

D

johnwaug

Nov 24, 2012
What are the chances of getting a rom, kernel or other useful goodies from the HTC One?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
What are the chances of getting a rom, kernel or other useful goodies from the HTC One?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

I'd say 100%. I bet you both the people you're talking to have sense 5 roms out by the end of march (or sooner since there are already system dumps I believe)

lazarus2297

Sep 2, 2010
North Carolina
this is just my opinion so if you don't agree that is ok :)

Just from the info I have read on the internet about this phone (never having touched it) I would probably start looking to sell my DNA to buy this phone.. I LOVE the look of the phone and the solid aluminum construction really impresses... the new camera tech intrigues me but I would love to see sample shots and obviously take my own.. BUT alas I am stuck with verizon (grandfathered data plan) so unless they pick up some variant of this device I will keep my DNA (which I am actually very happy with)

I guess i should say thanks to Verizon for making the decision for me and helping me save the money this would cost off contract :D....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got home from the HTC One announcement event and thought I would share my observations.

First here is the HTC page for the new phone: http://bit.ly/12HHcc9 if you want to go check out the specs and things.

Having used the phone, I can tell you, I was not sure I could go back to a smaller device since I have a DNA and am very comfy with the size. However, it fit the hand very well, and was not so much different that it bothered me.

The main home screen now has "BlinkFeed", which if you ever used FlipBoard is very similar. You go in and tell it what information you are interested in and it assembles a mosaic of blurbs from your social media and news sources for you to glance at. When you see something you like, you can tap it to get details. It seems to scroll on and on forever.

I'm not sure how much I like this, it'll be one of those things you have to try out to see how it sits with you. I have been told it can be disabled for those who don't care for it. On top of this, you also get 4 regular style home screens for shortcuts and widgets.

Sense is very clean now. Everything has been minimalistically styled for sleek looks and a very sexy overall appearance. I was very happy with the way things looked and how they came together.

And for those of you worried about it, the original Sense WeatherClock is still in there.

It does have NFC, but they seem to have left out Android Beam. I was told at lunch that it should be back in by release day. We will see.

The camera is also an innovation. Something called "UltraPixel". They did not give tech specs, but having used it, I can tell you it is truly beautiful. They also paired it with something called "Zoe" which is hard to describe, but you will love it. It takes your stills and videos, creates a 30 second mashup, sets it to music, and you can watch it right there on the fly. Check out this vid AndroidPolice made at the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A5WXhzoCCA to better understand.

The phone has stereo front speakers and sound enhancement called "BoomSound". This really delivers a rich, full stereo sound that I was (for the first time on a phone) actually impressed with. You don't realize how bad your phone's speaker is till you hear something good.

They have added TV Remote software, which I did not try, but if you lose your remote, it could come in handy.

And finally, it has Sense Voice, which is supposed to let you make and hear calls, no matter how loud or cluttered the background noises are around you. Since the demo phones did not have service, I was unable to test that as well.

So there it is. Overall, I would say there are several major steps forward by HTC in this phone. You should definitely check it out when it hits the stores.

D

None of the above is true, dsb attacked me with a chair upon arrival to the event, stole my wallet and ran off before the phone was unveiled :eek:
    None of the above is true, dsb attacked me with a chair upon arrival to the event, stole my wallet and ran off before the phone was unveiled :eek:

What do you care, there was nothing in your wallet but vacuum!

D

Hmm... I read on a few other sites that the Blinkyfeedy thing cannot be disabled. They also left off wireless charging. And it's coming to a bazillion carriers across the globe but not Verizon. Silliness.

Happy with my DNA.

I do appreciate the write up. Thanks man.
    Is the iOS style 'rubber band' scrolling effect back? Its there on blinkfeed, but is it in settings menus etc?

I don't know what you mean, I've never touched an iPhone.

D