[Q] Using Moto X Verizon outside US?

Search This thread

mkb_1989

Dec 29, 2013
I'm willing to buy one from eBay
I found a Dev Edition Verizon 32GB
Can I use it directly without any activation or unlocking?
I don't care about 4G/LTE. I only care about 3G and H+

Thanks

RenSoAbrupt

Dec 4, 2013
Nassau
GSM DEV ED is working factory unlocked out of the box as is the T mobile version. No activation needed or required. VZW edition is for those on their network not wanting to void warranty by unlocking bootloader.

Sent from my Moto X

Khaiyan

Jul 25, 2012
I'm willing to buy one from eBay
I found a Dev Edition Verizon 32GB
Can I use it directly without any activation or unlocking?
I don't care about 4G/LTE. I only care about 3G and H+

Thanks

I'm pretty certain that the Verizon one will not work overseas. Best bet is to get a T-Mobile or GSM DE. Swappa is the best place for it.

ghstudio

Dec 7, 2013
I'm pretty certain that the Verizon one will not work overseas. Best bet is to get a T-Mobile or GSM DE. Swappa is the best place for it.

It's my understanding that an unlocked moto-x will work on either CDMA or GSM networks depending on the sim that is put in the phone. There is apparently no hardware difference in the various phones other than 16gb or 32gb. The differences are in the preloading and locking of carrier stuff...and the warranty for developer edition not being voided by unlocking it.

nuchdog

Feb 8, 2012

All verizon LTE phones are sim un-locked now (FCC requires this as part of the licensing deal for the 700MHz spectrum). The trick is to find a local carrier that matches the phones radio bands, or to buy a phone from a carrier whos radio bands match your perferred local carriers as closely as possible. The Wikipedia page lists the variants of the Moto X and their radios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X

Last edited:

jimmyz80

Apr 29, 2011
All verizon LTE phones are sim un-locked now (FCC requires this as part of the licensing deal for the 700MHz spectrum). The trick is to find a local carrier that matches the phones radio bands, or to buy a phone from a carrier whos radio bands match your perferred local carriers as closely as possible. The Wikipedia page lists the variants of the Moto X and their radios.

I just returned from a week in Europe with my Verizon Moto X (non-DE). When I landed in Italy, it took about 10 minutes before the phone picked up a local carrier and then everything worked great. In Italy I was roaming on Vodafone, and in Switzerland I was roaming on Swisscom. Data worked great in both places. I didn't try using a local SIM card, but I'm sure there are plenty that would work.