[ROM] Flashable eMMC dual boot ROMs (Froyo, Honeycomb, Eclair, CM7)

Search This thread

rookie1

Nov 12, 2007
I've created a few flashable zip files to ease the eMMC dual boot setup. You can flash them using Clock Work Recovery.

Warning: Only specially packaged flashable dual boot ROMs like the ones I packaged below will flash to dual boot partition. Other flashable zips will overwrite your default boot.

Seems there is a problem flashing the zips from CWM on SD. See this post for a workaround, or use CWM on eMMC.

Just a word on booting into recovery. With the dual boot u-boot.bin, I have changed the button combo to VOL UP + VOL DOWN for recovery. So if you want to go to recovery, remember this is the key combo you need to hit. Not Power + n.

1. Prepare dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/prep-dualboot-0.1.zip

Flash this zip file will setup the dual boot partitions. If your NC is already setup using my previous dual boot script, there is no need to flash this again.

Note 1 - This does a resize of your /media partition. You data on /media should be intact. If you want to be safe, backup your /media before flashing.
Note 2 - /media partition will be resized to about 3.9 GB. If your existing data on /media is more that 3.9GB, you won't be able to flash this.

2. Remove dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/remove-dualboot-0.1.zip

If you want to revert to stock, simply flash this file.

3. Dual boot ROMs
Now the dual boot ROMs. These will be flashed to the dual boot partitions (partition 9 and 10) on eMMC. Hold 'n' button while powering up to boot into dual boot ROM.

My modified u-boot.bin based on B&N 1.2 source - Seems previous version is having compatibility issues with 2.6.32 kernel. This is updated base on B&N 1.2 source. Flash using CWM. It only overwrites the u-boot.bin on boot partition. Boot message should show "(multi)U-Boot v0.3 loading..." after flashing this zip.

Flashable dual boot Nookie Froyo v0.6.8

Flashable dual boot Honeycomb Preview v04

Flashable dual boot HC v04 with gapps - credit goes to pauljohnson75

Flashable dalingrin's 1.1GHz OC kernel for dual boot HC - credit goes to dalingrin for the oc kernel, and pauljohnson75 for creating the dual boot flashable

Flashable zip to move your stock Eclair to dual boot partition v02 - This is not really a ROM strictly speaking. To avoid infringing B&N IP, no file from stock ROM is included in this zip. Scripts in this zip simply copies your stock ROM partitions and make the necessary adjustment to ramdisk. After flashing this, you will have an identical ROM setup on your dual boot partition. You are free to do whatever to your default ROM. For example, you can flash other ROMs to overwrite your default ROM. You will still be able to boot into stock eclair by holding 'n' button. Only thing to note is if the other ROMs you flash overwrites u-boot.bin, you will lose the dual boot capability.

Flashable dual boot CM7 nightly (cm_encore_full-22)
Note 1 - You can flash this using CWM 3.0.0.5. Newer version of CWM not required.
Note 2 - This will convert secondary /system and /data partitions to ext4. They will not be compatible with other dual boot ROMs any more. You need to flash remove-dualboot-0.1.zip, then prep-dualboot-0.1.zip, before flashing other dual boot ROMs.
Note 3 - This will wipe your dualboot data partition.

Link not longer working
unknown.soul has packaged dalingrin's OC kernels for dual boot. Get them below. thanks unknown.soul
Eclair
Froyo
CM7
Honeycomb
Also gapps
Google Apps

Credits
cicada for Nookie Froyo. My update scripts are also based on his NF flashable.
deeper-blue for Honeycomb.
cm7 dev team for porting CM7 to NC
other xda developers who have contributed to NC community.

Last edited:

philburkhardt

Aug 30, 2010
Seattle Basestar
Holy Crap! How am I supposed to get any REAL work done today?

This is crazy awesome. I'm downloading everything right now. i will let you know how it goes.

Thank you!!!

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
For real though, I have a deadline today and you come along and release this! You sir are awesome!!! Gonna flash it right now and then hopefully I can get some work done.

I see CM7 was just released. Would I be able to flash this to my dual boot partition?

Last edited:

rookie1

Nov 12, 2007
For real though, I have a deadline today and you come along and release this! You sir are awesome!!! Gonna flash it right now and then hopefully I can get some work done.

I see CM7 was just released. Would I be able to flash this to my dual boot partition?

Normal flashables will flash to default partitions. That will overwrite your default boot OS. I have to package these flashable zips specifically to flash to dual boot partition. They are not compatible.

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Normal flashables will flash to default partitions. That will overwrite your default boot OS. I have to package these flashable zips specifically to flash to dual boot partition. They are not compatible.

Yeah, I'd figured as much.... was hoping and wishing that under some miracle way it would have been possible. Thank you again for your hard work on this. It's pretty much made my day. :)

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
If I want to use this but keep oc 1100 for both froyo and eclair how do i do that. also if I want to install gapps on the froyo part of dual boot what mount commands do i need to push it to right place in adb?

Not sure about the overclocking. I would really like to know how as well.

But with gapps. I didn't use adb. I just placed the unzipped gapps folder on my sdcard and installed it through terminal emulator in dev tools on my nook.

su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp -r /sdcard/gapps/system/* /system
exit

Thats about it!

Reactions: EsotericPunk

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

But with gapps. I didn't use adb. I just placed the unzipped gapps folder on my sdcard and installed it through terminal emulator in dev tools on my nook.

su
exit

Thats about it!

thanks will try this
what type of quadrant scores u getting on 800?

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

su
exit

Thats about it!

Can we access sdcard from either booted rom?

Last edited:

MaSt3rGrIfF

Apr 27, 2009
Did anyone have any problems installing? I followed the instructions and I can get Nook Honey to boot but Nookie Froyo gets stuck at the Android_ screen, before the OS actually starts loading. I've tried reverting back to stock and starting over, and still no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pauljohnson75

Jan 29, 2008
Dodge City
Awesome

Not sure how I did this but I didn't do a wipe or any formats before I installed all three zips. I installed all three at once from inside clockwork. Anyway my nookie froyo that I had setup perfect is still there just like I left it inculding the overclocked kernel. And if I hold down the n key and boot it boots right into Honeycomb not sure how I did this but its awesome. Thanks rookie1, now I just need to get gapps onto Honeycomb.

ver2go

Mar 30, 2007
For oc kernels remember the file name is uFImg for the second boot. For those of you pushing an OC kernel to the alternate boot.

Last edited:

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Not sure how I did this but I didn't do a wipe or any formats before I installed all three zips. I installed all three at once from inside clockwork. Anyway my nookie froyo that I had setup perfect is still there just like I left it inculding the overclocked kernel. And if I hold down the n key and boot it boots right into Honeycomb not sure how I did this but its awesome. Thanks rookie1, now I just need to get gapps onto Honeycomb.

Why did you flash all 3 zips? You can only install one ROM on the new partition. I believe that this doesn't touch your original setup at all. It only flashes the rom on the new partition that was created.

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Ok if someone can please help.
I have dual boot set up with eclair as stock boot and my n boot gives me froyo.
used titanium backup and have my froyo mostly back up and running though some apps caused soft reboots during the reinstall from TB.
Froyo seems to be running fine with what is installed so far. Flash is workig but since only getting quadrants in the 900-960 range it is kinda choppy. Was hoping there was a way to get the oc kernel onto the froyo boot as it is still present on the original eclair boot. The only real advantage for me of Froyo is that it should be faster and flash. But since it is not overclocked.....
Any ideas how to get the froyo oc kernel to the right place?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created a few flashable zip files to ease the eMMC dual boot setup. You can flash them using Clock Work Recovery.

Warning: Only specially packaged flashable dual boot ROMs like the ones I packaged below will flash to dual boot partition. Other flashable zips will overwrite your default boot.

Seems there is a problem flashing the zips from CWM on SD. See this post for a workaround, or use CWM on eMMC.

Just a word on booting into recovery. With the dual boot u-boot.bin, I have changed the button combo to VOL UP + VOL DOWN for recovery. So if you want to go to recovery, remember this is the key combo you need to hit. Not Power + n.

1. Prepare dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/prep-dualboot-0.1.zip

Flash this zip file will setup the dual boot partitions. If your NC is already setup using my previous dual boot script, there is no need to flash this again.

Note 1 - This does a resize of your /media partition. You data on /media should be intact. If you want to be safe, backup your /media before flashing.
    Note 2 - /media partition will be resized to about 3.9 GB. If your existing data on /media is more that 3.9GB, you won't be able to flash this.

2. Remove dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/remove-dualboot-0.1.zip

If you want to revert to stock, simply flash this file.

3. Dual boot ROMs
    Now the dual boot ROMs. These will be flashed to the dual boot partitions (partition 9 and 10) on eMMC. Hold 'n' button while powering up to boot into dual boot ROM.

My modified u-boot.bin based on B&N 1.2 source - Seems previous version is having compatibility issues with 2.6.32 kernel. This is updated base on B&N 1.2 source. Flash using CWM. It only overwrites the u-boot.bin on boot partition. Boot message should show "(multi)U-Boot v0.3 loading..." after flashing this zip.

Flashable dual boot Nookie Froyo v0.6.8

Flashable dual boot Honeycomb Preview v04

Flashable dual boot HC v04 with gapps - credit goes to pauljohnson75

Flashable dalingrin's 1.1GHz OC kernel for dual boot HC - credit goes to dalingrin for the oc kernel, and pauljohnson75 for creating the dual boot flashable

Flashable zip to move your stock Eclair to dual boot partition v02 - This is not really a ROM strictly speaking. To avoid infringing B&N IP, no file from stock ROM is included in this zip. Scripts in this zip simply copies your stock ROM partitions and make the necessary adjustment to ramdisk. After flashing this, you will have an identical ROM setup on your dual boot partition. You are free to do whatever to your default ROM. For example, you can flash other ROMs to overwrite your default ROM. You will still be able to boot into stock eclair by holding 'n' button. Only thing to note is if the other ROMs you flash overwrites u-boot.bin, you will lose the dual boot capability.

Flashable dual boot CM7 nightly (cm_encore_full-22)
    Note 1 - You can flash this using CWM 3.0.0.5. Newer version of CWM not required.
    Note 2 - This will convert secondary /system and /data partitions to ext4. They will not be compatible with other dual boot ROMs any more. You need to flash remove-dualboot-0.1.zip, then prep-dualboot-0.1.zip, before flashing other dual boot ROMs.
    Note 3 - This will wipe your dualboot data partition.

Link not longer working
    unknown.soul has packaged dalingrin's OC kernels for dual boot. Get them below. thanks unknown.soul
    Eclair
    Froyo
    CM7
    Honeycomb
    Also gapps
    Google Apps

Credits
    cicada for Nookie Froyo. My update scripts are also based on his NF flashable.
    deeper-blue for Honeycomb.
    cm7 dev team for porting CM7 to NC
    other xda developers who have contributed to NC community.
    Quick and dirty guide to create your own CM7 nightly dualboot

<This is tested on nightly 22>

Assuming you are on a linux box,

1. uncompress cm7-dual-boot-flashable-nightly-3.zip to a directory. let's call it cm7-work.
    2. replace system directory and kernel, ramdisk.img from the latest nightly.
    3. run unpacker.sh (attached in this post) in cm7-work. it will unpack ramdisk.img into a new directory called ramdisk-src
    4. go into ramdisk-src to make these 2 changes
    - in init.rc, comment out the line 'mkdir /cache 0771 system cache'. this is because we need to create a symlink later on /cache. if the directory is there, create symlink will fail.
    - in init.encore.rc, find
    Code:
        # create mountpoints
        mkdir /mnt/emmc 0000 system system
        symlink /mnt/emmc /emmc
    then add
    Code:
        mkdir /mnt/cache 0771 system cache
    below.

find
    Code:
        # mount partitions
        mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom sync noatime nodiratime uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=117,dmask=007
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1

replace by
    Code:
        # mount partitions
        mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom sync noatime nodiratime uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=117,dmask=007
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        chmod 0771 /mnt/cache
        mkdir /mnt/cache/cm7
        chown system cache /mnt/cache/cm7
        chmod 0771 /mnt/cache/cm7
        symlink /mnt/cache/cm7 /cache

5. run packer.sh (attached in this post) in cm7-work. it will pack and replace ramdisk.img. you will need mkimage here. if you are on Ubuntu, install package uboot-mkimage
    6. delete cm7-work/ramdisk-src directory if ramdisk.img is created successfully.
    7. in cm7-work directory, run 'zip -9r cm7-nightly.zip *' to create the flashable zip file. copy cm7-nightly.zip to your sd card and flash.

optional step
    the updater script (META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script) formats the dualboot data partition. If you want to keep your data partition, remove the line 'format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10");' from this file before step 7.
    CM7-Encore-BR1-20110404-2321-DUALBOOT.zip

OK, I thought the post was saying that I needed to have a CM7 already loaded on the dual boot partition to load the updated RC4 version. In any case I think I'll wait for your updated version. Thanks for the help! :)

Oops. I meant to say for CM7 or "new" to dual-boot only. It probably won't work if you already had HC or Froyo on the 2nd partition.

Anyway, here's the latest 04/04/2011 update from Mad-Murdock that's been Dual-Boot-inized.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17305480/CM7-Encore-BR1-20110404-2321-DUALBOOT.zip

Previous CM7 on dual boot users:
    1. Download and put on SDCard
    2. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery (version 3.0.1.0+)
    3. Flash downloaded zip file.
    4. Reboot holding "N"
    5. Check the Tablet Tweaks thread for more info.

New dual-boot users:
    1. Check OP for info and warnings. Then flash prep-dualboot file first.
    2. Follow steps above for Previous CM7 on dual boot users.

File contains 04/04/2011 CM7 Nightly Build with Mad-Murdock's Tablet Tweaks (almost bug-free), latest CM7 Google Apps, and Darlingin's 1100Mhz overclock kernel pre-installed.

This does not touch your stock eclair boot and does not wipe your data partition.
    I've update the multiboot u-boot.bin base on B&N 1.2 source. Download link in OP.
    I got the same error as nagmier above last week and it looks like there is a similar group of people in the General discussion forms about having issues creating the extra partitions. The error in the recovery.log shows that that parted command says permission denied. I did an adb shell when I was in CWR 3.0.0.5 and when I manually ran the parted command I also got permission denied. (I typed su before that command to make sure I was root)

Looks like this is a problem with the CWM SD image. /sbin/parted is not executable in that image. If you are familiar with command line, just adb shell into CWM, run 'chmod 755 /sbin/parted', then proceed to flash the zip. Note the change is only in memory. Every time after reboot into CWM, you have to run this command again. Or alternatively, use the CWM on eMMC via Rom Manager.

I will leave a message in the CWM SD thread to let thecubed know.