Office and PDF File Uploader

Search This thread

Thunder_

Feb 16, 2007
Shanghai
Just want to share a desktop tool I build which can upload Office files to Office Hub based on Heathcliff74's work.

Steps to use:Extract all files and run the EXE file.

1. Connect
2. Go to office tab
3. Click the upload button. Select office files you want to upload
4. The file will appear in Office hub on the phone. You may need to close Office hub by "Back" key to refresh the view.

One interesting thing I notice is that we can also deploy PDF files to My Documents and Office Hub will recognize it and assign a red color for PDF files. Office Hub will even launch Adobe Reader. Unfortunately, Adobe Reader does not have access permission to My Document and will return an error.

What could that mean? MS planned to give Adobe a backdoor but Adobe failed to deliver it?

2012.01.06. Updated a new version (2.1) with PDF support. You must install Adobe Reader using XAP to make it work. Adobe Reader installed from MarketPlace won't work. You may get the XAP from http://www.mediafire.com/?848nhfde7hqsqww according to this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1317357, who provides a similiar PDF uploader application.

Attachments

• BookUploader.zip
    519.2 KB · Views: 4,342
Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I'm guessing this works by installing a simple XAP file, and thus requires developer unlock (Chevron or AppHub or WindowBreak or whatever)? Just checking.

wpxbox

Oct 24, 2011
Kolkata
What is Creader for ?

---------- Post added 6th January 2012 at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th January 2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

Tested the 2.1 Version on my Samsung Focus Chevron Unlocked. Works nicely including PDF Upload.

Can we get the same kind of file list for office document or is it limited by the API

Also I will suggest to use Popup notification or Progress bar to display when the file upload is completed.

The notification position is way too low and new nitrification goes under existing ones which is not very clear.

mizzour

May 25, 2008
this is awesome! With this loophole found, would there be any chance of getting access to the outlook files on the device so that an Outlook USB sync tool could be developed?

Thunder_

Feb 16, 2007
Shanghai
What is Creader for ?

---------- Post added 6th January 2012 at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th January 2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

Tested the 2.1 Version on my Samsung Focus Chevron Unlocked. Works nicely including PDF Upload.

Can we get the same kind of file list for office document or is it limited by the API

Also I will suggest to use Popup notification or Progress bar to display when the file upload is completed.

The notification position is way too low and new nitrification goes under existing ones which is not very clear.

Thanks for the suggestions. PDF upload using standard Isolated Storage API while allows read and write. Office files are not stored in isolated storage. Therefore, I have to use a hack to work around it, which doesn't support read.

Thunder_

Feb 16, 2007
Shanghai
What is Creader for ?

CReader is a Text book reader developed by my friend. It was designed to download from skydrive. However, seems skydrive connection is not so stable. I originally developed this app so that we can download text file to CReader without the need of skydrive or internet connection. But later on, I found we can do much more. PDF and Office files are way more important.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Question, why not support the Marketplace version of Adobe Reader? You won't be able to read files from its isostore, but you can still deploy files there.

memeqxda

Jun 26, 2010
thanks, the uploader works fine !!!

it can save my time putting the docs from my computer

contable

Oct 25, 2009
@Thunder

Thanks for this app !

I know that you can´t launch pdf´s if they are stored in My Documents folder but you can share them via email (Storage Device => long press).

Could you release a version which copies pdf´s to My Documents folder or to both folders (isostorage of adope reader and My Documents folder) ?

Thanks in advance.

contable

Last edited:

Thunder_

Feb 16, 2007
Shanghai
@Thunder

Thanks for this app !

I know that you can´t launch pdf´s if they are stored in My Documents folder but you can share them via email (Storage Device => long press).

Could you release a version which copies pdf´s to My Documents folder or to both folders (isostorage of adope reader and My Documents folder) ?

Thanks in advance.

contable

If you want to upload PDF to my documents, in the file open dialog for Office files, you can click the file type drop down and there is an option for PDF. If you select an PDF file there, it will be uploaded to My Documents. I don't think many people want to upload to both locations.

Reactions: contable

contable

Oct 25, 2009
If you want to upload PDF to my documents, in the file open dialog for Office files, you can click the file type drop down and there is an option for PDF. If you select an PDF file there, it will be uploaded to My Documents. I don't think many people want to upload to both locations.

Thanks, I didn´t see the pdf option... so forget my request.

Too bad that you can´t open the files with Adope reader. On NoDo it was possible, but with Mango update MS has changed something.

Reactions: Thunder_

fahdriyami

Feb 18, 2010
Muscat
Thank you! This was one of the features I asked Microsoft to build natively into Microsoft Office on the desktop XD

Thunder_

Feb 16, 2007
Shanghai

Too bad that you can´t open the files with Adope reader. On NoDo it was possible, but with Mango update MS has changed something.

That actually was left over during my test of uploading PDF to My Documents. Anyway, look like it is MS who changed their position. And maybe Adobe did not respond quickly.

contable

Oct 25, 2009
That actually was left over during my test of uploading PDF to My Documents. Anyway, look like it is MS who changed their position. And maybe Adobe did not respond quickly.

I think Adope never responds because since 2010 there isn´t any update of the Adope reader. I would be easy to add a share option to the app but it looks like that there isn´t any interest to update the app or MS doesn´t permit it...

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
Dude, it worked!! I'm on a HTC Trophy with v2/v3 drivers that restricted certain reg entries and won't let WPDM or Touch explorer even see the My Documents folder. How did you do this?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just want to share a desktop tool I build which can upload Office files to Office Hub based on Heathcliff74's work.

Steps to use:Extract all files and run the EXE file.

1. Connect
    2. Go to office tab
    3. Click the upload button. Select office files you want to upload
    4. The file will appear in Office hub on the phone. You may need to close Office hub by "Back" key to refresh the view.

One interesting thing I notice is that we can also deploy PDF files to My Documents and Office Hub will recognize it and assign a red color for PDF files. Office Hub will even launch Adobe Reader. Unfortunately, Adobe Reader does not have access permission to My Document and will return an error.

What could that mean? MS planned to give Adobe a backdoor but Adobe failed to deliver it?

2012.01.06. Updated a new version (2.1) with PDF support. You must install Adobe Reader using XAP to make it work. Adobe Reader installed from MarketPlace won't work. You may get the XAP from http://www.mediafire.com/?848nhfde7hqsqww according to this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1317357, who provides a similiar PDF uploader application.
    @Thunder

Thanks for this app !

Thanks in advance.

contable