[WIP][CM7][UNOFFICIAL][MTD][SGH-T959V] 2.3.7 7.2.0-rc1 [04/21/2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
I'll double check then

By the way, no reboots and not too bad of battery life either on R5 as long as I have data off when not using it

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
Haha sorry! I did but I suppose my CM7 excitement overcame my reading ability

Reactions: bhundven
Yes, GPS still doesn't work. It hasn't worked for any of the builds yet. Brian will update when it does.

Update on R7... the wakelock bug fixed in R6 (before the source reset) is back.

Details for 4h49m on battery:
Settings->Battery Use:
37% cell standby
24% phone idle
15% display
11% wi-fi
5% game
4% gps test app
2% android os

Spare parts->Battery history->Other usage->Since last unplugged:
Running: 93.2%
Screen on: 34.4%
Wifi On: 29.3%
Wifi Running: 29.3%

Clicking on Running for time: 4h30m not sleeping.

Basically, something makes it sleep, so that's better than R5, but it wasn't running anywhere near as efficiently as R6 did.

Edit: Oh, and since I forgot to say it earlier, yes, I did Fix permissions after flashing. As per the (now) official directions, I did that after installing the zip, but before the reboot to OS. I guess I'll fix permissions again and see if that fixes it... if so, we might need to let it soak, THEN fix permissions. I'll post in several hours if that seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xaocon

hechoen

May 7, 2011
hampsterblade has noticed some issues with call volume handling.

Bryan, Fb, m4x, and everyone else working on this

Nice work guys. I finally folded like an accordian and flashed this. I told myself I was gonna wait for a final, but you know how that goes. Everything so far is running great except for that quote from the OP. Yes I actually read it over and over and over. When I place a call as soon as the other person picks up I can't here them and they can't here me. Is that the call volume issue? So far I've wiped cache, dalvik and fixed perms. Still doing it. Am I missing something here? Any help would be great. Also I quick question about nands. Has anyone tried to nand back to this from cwm? What I was thinking is flash kernel, reboot recovery, wipe and restore? Thanks again guys. This thing is pretty sweet.

Reactions: m4xm4n

bhundven

Inactive Recognized Developer
Bryan, Fb, m4x, and everyone else working on this

Nice work guys. I finally folded like an accordian and flashed this. I told myself I was gonna wait for a final, but you know how that goes. Everything so far is running great except for that quote from the OP. Yes I actually read it over and over and over. When I place a call as soon as the other person picks up I can't here them and they can't here me. Is that the call volume issue? So far I've wiped cache, dalvik and fixed perms. Still doing it. Am I missing something here? Any help would be great. Also I quick question about nands. Has anyone tried to nand back to this from cwm? What I was thinking is flash kernel, reboot recovery, wipe and restore? Thanks again guys. This thing is pretty sweet.

hampsterblade said he turned the volume all the way down then all the way back up. But maybe try muting then unmuting?

Last edited:
Reactions: hechoen

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
uploadfromtaptalk1335072069283.jpguploadfromtaptalk1335072079588.jpg

told you they weren't working

bhundven

View attachment 1018241View attachment 1018242

told you they weren't working

Thank you for letting me know.

I think it's because the OTA name is not SGH-T959V or galaxys4g it think's it's not supported (it's galaxys4gmtd). Or there is a problem with the version magic.

It's not that high on the priority scale, so hang out a while ;)
DSP is keeping me happy, and if my phone stayed stable, we could just start adding dvfs tuning controls (which may prove interesting).

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
Thank you for letting me know.

I think it's because the OTA name is not SGH-T959V or galaxys4g it think's it's not supported (it's galaxys4gmtd). Or there is a problem with the version magic.

It's not that high on the priority scale, so hang out a while ;)
DSP is keeping me happy, and if my phone stayed stable, we could just start adding dvfs tuning controls (which may prove interesting).

i just wanted to make sure seeing as you said they should be working. it kinda sucks that tegrak isn't working, cuz that's what i use to uv for battery life

After running another Fix permissions, 4 hours after following OP directions... same basic (fast drain) behaviour on R7.

Details for 4h55m on battery. From 67% to 35% with:
Settings->Battery use:
Cell standby - 32%
Wi-Fi - 31%
Phone idle - 27%
Display - 5% (turned it back down to minimum from the default settings)
Android OS - 2%
Android System - 2%

Spare parts->Battery history->Other usage since last unplugged:
Running - 23.9%
Screen on - 14.6%
Wifi On - 97.2%
Wifi Running - 97.2%

So it does get to sleep sometimes, but drain is still fast. I think I'm going to flash the R6 kernel for now and see if that gets it minimal again.

Reactions: g4ry12

7TimesCursed

Dec 9, 2011
Bell Gardens, CA
Bryan, I'm on the April 19th build. Its been 23 hours since I flashed and I have not had ANY reboots.
The battery is at 40% using juice defender.

Looking in spare parts, suspend is working ok. "Running 20%"

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

Reactions: g4ry12 and bhundven

bhundven

Bryan, I'm on the April 19th build. Its been 23 hours since I flashed and I have not had ANY reboots.
The battery is at 40% using juice defender.

Looking in spare parts, suspend is working ok. "Running 20%"

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

Hmm
That is interesting. On that same battery history page, you see a screen like this(?):

Code:
CPU usage details for suspend:

User time:0s
System time:13s
Total time:13s
Starts:0

I'm curious to know if starts means how many times 'suspend was successful' or 'how many times it's left suspend'? I guess the question is rhetorical, as we could just look at SpareParts and find out.

When I look at dmesg:

Code:
adb shell
dmesg > /data/dmesg
exit
adb pull /data/dmesg
adb shell rm /data/dmesg
$EDITOR dmesg

I see timing information on the left in a medium resolution. then on the right I'm looking at how quickly the phone has been flipping between suspend and resume. Not always making it into suspend. Either by unsuccessfully suspending power.0 (which isn't always reproduceable) or just instantly returning to resume for no apparent reason.

The major change to make the phone cooler running was I switched the ril library paths. Less errors about "unknown broadcast" cruft in 'logcat -b radio'. Less radio chatter, more chance of sleeping... (which sounds good right now ;) )

So as much as I think the kernel has some problem (no doubt) so does the cm rom and file permissions/ownership problems that make some things not work correctly. Or just being named wrong or whatever. So take issues with a grain of salt.

If you figure something out; I like help!

hampsterblade

Aug 28, 2011
Athens
Oh God. So f***ing amazing. Last night I was down because data wasn't working at all. Finally did a fix permissions through rom manager. Not only did it fix that, but like most nights my phone fell off the charger. But unlike most nights it didn't even fall 1% over the hour! The phone suspended!!!

Using R7.

Last edited:

hechoen

May 7, 2011

Got voodoo to work by editing the build.prop to show SGH-T959V. Tegrak is still returning the same error that juls originally posted. Battery life seems fine. And the phone does appear to be sleeping properly. No complaints.

Reactions: Somairotevoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ EVERYTHING.

COME BACK AND RE-READ THE WHOLE OP ON EVERY UPDATE.

IF YOU ARE OUT OF DATE, RE-READ THE WHOLE OP.

I hope the instructions get easier over time... ;)

Credits:
    • TeamAcid - For helping with early bml stuff!
    • m4xm4n - For rild many other helpful fixes! (now a part of TeamAcid)
    • hamsterblade - For incoming ringtone fix
    • EpicCM - The boards on our phones are both different then aries, so it was helpful to understand your device repo layout.
    • windxixi - For some of the fixes in his device tree for sk4g. Our phones are somewhat similar and somewhat different.
    • Krylon360 - For the original device repo and help along the way.
    • drhonk - Tiny Preempt RCU.
    • noobnl and Kaik541 on #cmsgs for helping me out, even if they couldn't answer my questions. Helpful to bounce problems off others. :)
    • People in #teamnerd for the support
    • Those that donated so I can have coffee and beer!
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * This mod is only for the Samsung Galaxy S 4G (SGH-T959V) or VibrantPlus.
    * This mod will not work on Vibrant or any other phone that is not the SGS4G.
    */
    CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

The OTA package is now posted in the Third Post. The Rom/Kernel seems pretty stable and could use some user testing. I'm able to use this as my phone. There are some problems... so...

**Things that work and features (not in any particular order)**
    • MTD and YAFFS2.
    • reset-v0.4.1-mtd kernel. (newly reverted to stock and updated manually... see here)
    • Tiny Preempt RCU in the kernel for lower memory allocation overhead.
    • CWM 5.0.2.8 (stock).
    • 2d and 3d Graphics. Seems smooth.
    • Brightness control - thanks m4xm4n!
    • USB Storage in recovery works... in android it is broken.
    • Modem/RIL works. Get GSM/3g/4g! - I have some issues with rild. Mine seems to stay in "GSM" more then "HSPA"...
    • SMS works (when rild works)
    • Wifi now works! - Seems pretty stable for me.
    • BLN! (Use the pro app!)
    • Ringtones work!

**Known Issues**
    • Bluetooth does not work.
    • GPS does not work.
    • Rebooting to recovery or download mode is broken. If you know how to fix it, pm me!
    • hampsterblade has noticed some issues with call volume handling.
    • Again... USB storage in android is broken. Someone told me that it was upstream, but I can't find a bug on it in gerrit. So it must be a local problem.
    • If you find more issues, please check with CM7 gerrit before you think it's a problem with something I've done. ;)

Get the build from the thrid post. Make sure you read all the instructions before trying anything!
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    - First time flashing CM 7 to your Galaxy S 4G (or coming from another ROM)?
    1. INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF HEIMDALL
    2. Reboot to download mode.
    3. Heimdall my sms-kj6-v0.1.x with CWM 5.0.2.7.
      Code:
      bryan@bh-t410:~$ heimdall flash --kernel zImage
    4. Reboot to recovery.
    5. Do a full Nandroid backup!
    6. Go to 'mounts and storage'
    7. format /cache, /data, and /system
    8. Backup the /efs partition to the sdcard using 'adb shell' (you may or may not have to 'mkdir /efs' and 'mkdir /sdcard')
      Code:
      bryan@bh-t410:~$ adb shell
      * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
      * daemon started successfully *
      # mount -t vfat /dev/block/stl3 /efs
      # mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
      # cd /efs
      # tar cf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar *
      # md5sum /sdcard/efs-backup.tar > /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.md5
    9. Copy the efs-backup.tar.gz and efs-backup.tar.gz.md5 to your computer!
    10. Advanced -> reboot to download mode
    11. Heimdall the boot.img from the out directory to the kernel partition.
      Code:
      bryan@bh-t410:~$ heimdall flash --kernel boot.img
    12. Boot to recovery (hold vol+ and vol-. Hold power until you see the Galaxy S screen. Then let go of power but keep holding vol+&vol- till you see recovery.)
    13. Use 'adb shell' to restore the /efs partition (again, you may or may not have to 'mkdir /efs' and/or 'mkdir /sdcard')
      Code:
      bryan@bh-t410:~$ adb shell
      erase_image efs
      mount /efs
      mount /sdcard
      cd /efs
      md5sum -c /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.md5 && tar xf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar
      Note: This does not erase the old bml efs partition. So when you go back to bml, you will be using the efs partition that you backed up from. The mtd partition you restored to will then be gone.
    14. Go to 'mounts and storage'
    15. 'mount USB storage', mount the device on your computer, copy over update.zip in the out directory, type 'sync' if you're on linux or mac (sync the filesystem buffers to disk) and unmount the storage on the computer. Then unmount the sdcard on the phone.
    16. format /boot, /cache, /data, and /system
    17. Go to the main menu: 'wipe data/factory reset'
    18. 'install zip from sdcard' install update.zip
    19. Optionally install the Google Apps (located at the bottom of the page).
    20. Reboot

- If you already have cm7 mtd installed, Just do the following:
    1. boot to recovery
    2. copy the zip to your sdcard
    3. install the new zip from sdcard
    4. advanced -> fix permissions
    5. Reboot

- To go back to Stock/BML, you must get into download mode and heimdall one-click back to kj6 with sms-cwm. Flash bootloaders!. I usually then cwm install the sms-kj6-v0.1.1-rc2, before I install a new rom or nandroid restore.

To make an Unoffical galaxys4gmtd build of CM7, go to the fourth post.
    Seventh (1st Reset) Release - 04/21/2012 (01:41:41AM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

Sixth Release - 04/19/2012 (6:47PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

Fifth Release - 04/18/2012 (2:13PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

Forth Release - 04/09/2012 (10:17PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

Third Release - 04/09/2012 (2:15PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

Second Release - 04/08/2012 (12:15PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip

First Release - 04/05/2012 (8:12PM PST):
    boot.img
    update.zip
    You can find our current changes by browsing over to github:

http://github.com/teamacid/
    Building CM7 from source

The build is now on the teamacid repository.
    Please follow the updated build instructions on the wiki:

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S/SGH-T959V/Building_From_Source
    Okay, finally got around to making the CWM zips for making the installs easier on the users.
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Download both zip files, plus the latest update.zip and boot.img from the downloads post on this thread
    2. Transfer all 3 zips to your phone
    3. Reboot to recovery (RED CWM)
    4. Do a nandroid backup of your current ROM
    5. Flash cm7-efs-backup.zip
    6. Put your phone into download mode
    7. Flash the latest boot.img from bryan's OP using HEIMDALL
    8. You should now be in the BLUE CWM menu
    9. Do a factory reset (Main Menu > wipe data/factory reset, you might get a format volume error. It's normal, continue)
    10. Format and mount /system (Main Menu > format /system & mount /system)
    11. Flash cm7-efs-restore.zip
    12. Flash the cm7 rom zip you downloaded, and the gapps zip if you want
    13. Reboot and enjoy CM7.

DOWNLOADS
    cm7-efs-backup.zip
    cm7-efs-restore.zip

EXPLANATION
    The problem was that the phone won't like it if you flash the kernel via CWM, so you have to do it via heimdall or it won't work for you.
    For the curious ones. I just made a few scripts that get run through CWM that do a lot of the steps in Bryan's OP for you. It'll do all the efs backup and restore for you, which will make flashing CM7 a little more trivial