Motorola Atrix 4G Screen Take Apart Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
This guide is in a step by step format and can easily be followed for a quick and safe repair for Motorola Atrix 4G. This guide will go through the steps of disassembling and replacing the touch screen digitizer as well as the LCD screen.

This guide will help you to install the following Motorola Atrix part(s):
  • Motorola Atrix Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
  • Motorola Atrix LCD Screen

Tools Required:
  • Adhesive Strips
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer (optional)

Motorola Atrix 4G take apart guide:
  • The first step to disassembling the phone is to remove the back battery cover and battery as well as the sim card and memory card. You can now remove the seven torx T5 screws located behind the battery cover. With the screws removed you can now use a safe open pry tool to release the clips and flip the back housing over to the side, careful of the antenna cable still attached.

Atrix4G1.jpg

Figure 1​
  • Use a safe open pry tool to pop the antenna cable from the motherboard and remove the back housing. Pry the motherboard up using a safe open pry tool and release the 3 flex cables underneath. Two will be pop connectors and the third is a jaw/alligator connector. Once reassessed you can now safely remove the motherboard.

Atrix4G2.jpg

Figure 2​
  • Warm the front of the touch screen and LCD screen using a heat gun or hair dryer. Use a pry tool to slowly pry between the touch screen and rest of the phone, careful as it is still attached with a flex cable. Flip the phone over and release the pop connector and top cover.
  • Ease up the flex ribbon cable and also the earpiece speaker. You can also remove the black plastic and the black plastic bar.

Atrix4G3.jpg

Figure 3​
  • You can now feed the touch screen flex cable through the housing and replace the digitizer.

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for posting that. I've already replaced mine but this is as good a guide as the video that I watched. It's as easy to do as it reads. I used some locking forceps to install the third ribbon cable into the jaw connector.
Nice of you to post this guide. Not to mention, I think that it's a really classy way to respond to something said elsewhere without actually calling it out. Nice form on all counts. ;)

rafaelbrandao

Apr 16, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
repairuniverse, could you shed some light on the "soft buttons" issue please? Mine just stopped working and I'm thinking to replace it myself...

Thanks in advance.

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
Just replaced my digitizer...was a pain in the ass but it worked. Still need to get some tape for the screen though...really hard to put on when you can't really move the screen.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Sorry to hear you had a bit of trouble. The repair is normally pretty straight forward. Glad you got it working though.

What do you mean when you are referring to "Still needing tape" ?

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
Sorry to hear you had a bit of trouble. The repair is normally pretty straight forward. Glad you got it working though.

What do you mean when you are referring to "Still needing tape" ?

I didn't use any tape under the screen because I didn't have any good one. I ordered some double sided tape on eBay.

Will have to take it all apart again and restart by putting the tape first, then the digitizer cable through the hole, then the LCD, and finally the digitizer...that's why its a pain.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

nsaia

Jan 7, 2008
What kind of tape is needed, if any? I see a screen replacement in my near future and want to make sure I have everything before I start.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
I'm having an issue with my proximity sensor. It doesn't seem to respond all the time and its on the "block state"...so when I place a call the phone goes black. If I press on the top of the phone near the sensor, it starts working for a couple minutes, and then goes black again.

Any ideas? Did I block something (don't think so)? Bad connection somewhere?

Reactions: sdlopez83

Zero-K

Jun 28, 2010
Nice guide. I was just looking to clean my front facing camera, so this will work great for that :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is in a step by step format and can easily be followed for a quick and safe repair for Motorola Atrix 4G. This guide will go through the steps of disassembling and replacing the touch screen digitizer as well as the LCD screen.

This guide will help you to install the following Motorola Atrix part(s):
    • Motorola Atrix Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
    • Motorola Atrix LCD Screen

Tools Required:
    • Adhesive Strips
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer (optional)

Motorola Atrix 4G take apart guide:
    • The first step to disassembling the phone is to remove the back battery cover and battery as well as the sim card and memory card. You can now remove the seven torx T5 screws located behind the battery cover. With the screws removed you can now use a safe open pry tool to release the clips and flip the back housing over to the side, careful of the antenna cable still attached.

Atrix4G1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • Use a safe open pry tool to pop the antenna cable from the motherboard and remove the back housing. Pry the motherboard up using a safe open pry tool and release the 3 flex cables underneath. Two will be pop connectors and the third is a jaw/alligator connector. Once reassessed you can now safely remove the motherboard.

Atrix4G2.jpg

Figure 2​
    • Warm the front of the touch screen and LCD screen using a heat gun or hair dryer. Use a pry tool to slowly pry between the touch screen and rest of the phone, careful as it is still attached with a flex cable. Flip the phone over and release the pop connector and top cover.
    • Ease up the flex ribbon cable and also the earpiece speaker. You can also remove the black plastic and the black plastic bar.

Atrix4G3.jpg

Figure 3​
    • You can now feed the touch screen flex cable through the housing and replace the digitizer.

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
    repairuniverse, could you shed some light on the "soft buttons" issue please? Mine just stopped working and I'm thinking to replace it myself...

Thanks in advance.

The "soft" buttons you refer to are part of the touch screen digitizer. Replacing this part should fix your issue.
    I'm having an issue with my proximity sensor. It doesn't seem to respond all the time and its on the "block state"...so when I place a call the phone goes black. If I press on the top of the phone near the sensor, it starts working for a couple minutes, and then goes black again.

Any ideas? Did I block something (don't think so)? Bad connection somewhere?
    i have the same problem. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sounds like you have blocked the "hole" on the touch screen the sensor "sees" through probably with adhesive strips. Make sure this is not covered and your problem should be resolved.
    I used this guide for replace my damaged touch screen, but now I have dust at front camera and at bottom right corner. What can I do?

Enviado desde mi MB860

You will need to open the phone again and clear the dust from the camera.

You should then have no further issues.