64GB Micro SD card do they work on photon ?

Search This thread

MooseV2

Feb 14, 2012
No, the Photon only supports microSDHC, and like you said, the 64gb (also, anything over 32gb) is classified as microSDXC.

32gb + 16gb internal should be more than enough anyways, provided you use it wisely.

If you absolutely NEED that amount of space, some users were able to use the Photon as a USB host and attach an external USB flash stick using a special USB-F-MicroUSB-M

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
hi, I'm looking to buy a 64GB MicroSDXC card
do they compatible with photon ?
can anybody who have them give some inputs ?
thank you.

I've seen a couple reports that they work fine on the Photon, but more that they don't. And the Droid4 and Bionic are reported to work.

http://androidforums.com/4154544-post320.html
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/325391028d?start=16&stop=30

The current 64GB cards are generally backwards compatible with SDHC in a lot of devices.

http://pocketnow.com/android/how-well-are-android-phones-handling-64gb-sdxc-memory-cards

I have a Sandisk 64 card - haven't tried it in my Photon, but it works fine in my Xoom and Cowon J3 MP3 player (linux).

So, I don't know for sure. (My Photon battery cover plastic clips won't take too many more removals or I'd try it)

Last edited:

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Cool - good to know, thanks for the post.

I figured it would work fine in the Photon since it seems to work in about everything else with a SDHC 3.0 compatible slot.

And I got my spare battery cover via eBay today, so may try it soon.

- - and to "MooseV2" that said "no", please do your research in the future before making broad statements; TIA! :)

ZeroManArmy

Nov 23, 2011
Colorado
Cool - good to know, thanks for the post.

I figured it would work fine in the Photon since it seems to work in about everything else with a SDHC 3.0 compatible slot.

And I got my spare battery cover via eBay today, so may try it soon.

- - and to "MooseV2" that said "no", please do your research in the future before making broad statements; TIA! :)

Make sure your format the card using the phone.
m9aw7s.png

dsims7_2000

Apr 6, 2009
Virginia, USA
I have SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64Gb and so far, so good BUT.........I rarely have anything on it. I use ZumoCast to access all my music, photos, documents on my desktop at home? If Im doing a Server upgrade or something, I'll drag a few movies to card, but other than that, empty!

casawimill

Sep 24, 2010
West Palm Beach
Yea it works, I have a 64GB micro sd card. You will have to insert it and go to storage and reformat the sd card while its in the Photon and it will work. I get 60GB out of the 64GB

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
You're in the Photon forum. :)

(And they so far appear to work in about everything - format in phone)

Last edited:

dsims7_2000

Apr 6, 2009
Virginia, USA

Let me better explain my "No big difference, so I went back" comment. I had a 16Gb SanDisk Class 4, I was happy. I got 32Gb SanDisk Class 6 for $100.00 and I was happy. I got Komputer 32Gb Class 10 for @ the same. When I compared them read/write, depending on what I was reading or writing, the SanDisk was either faster OR not that far behind, so I went back to SanDisk for the realiabilaty. I now have 64Gb SanDisk Class 6 and I'm happy (Kinda of, there is nothing on it? I either use Google or ZumoCast to acces my desktop at home?)

My suggestion, look for stability, look at the reviews where people smarter than I have done extensive testing. Not all chips are alike. Also, look at your needs. If you take a ton of pictures or video, I assume you would need high write speed. If your a gamer, I assume you would need high read speeds? Just me!

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks for the further explanation! I'll probably just pick up the class 6. It's getting rave reviews on Amazon. :)

Top Liked Posts