[TUT]How to disassemble the LG Optimus Black P970

Search This thread

vismaiy

May 7, 2012
mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
Google Pixel 5a
yeah. where can we get those small screwdrivers. XD its my problem rightnow. even the usb port works when i press the back of it

lol just bcoz of the screwdriver i gave it to lg service centre. And they made my phone only worst! Now even pressing it hard back doesnt work. They said that they dont have that part and till date my phone is lying in my drawer:p

gabwerkz

Aug 16, 2011
Three Stars and a Sun
yeah. where can we get those small screwdrivers. XD its my problem rightnow. even the usb port works when i press the back of it

Ah, Precision Screwdrivers is the name. They are sold as a kit/case. Find them at hardware stores. Don't force any screwdriver if it doesn't match, else the guides on the screw will get rounded and you'll have a hard time unscrewing.

lol just bcoz of the screwdriver i gave it to lg service centre. And they made my phone only worst! Now even pressing it hard back doesnt work. They said that they dont have that part and till date my phone is lying in my drawer:p

The option then is complete board replacement. Or a new phone. :D

The USB malfunction is connected on that chip. USB, power button flex and earpiece. Saw mine and the surface-mount got UNSOLDERED. Where the flex cable of USB and Power Button is connected.

After an attempt to fix it it's ok. This is an example image of what got unsoldered, the 3 white females. The males are what's being snapped onto them with the flex cable as referred to the previous image of an opened Optimus Black which part I encircled.. You can also refer to OP, image number 6 as an example.

Heat causes the surface-mounts to get unsoldered. Because of the hardware design, never leave your phone plugged for a prolonged period of time. Especially with ICS.

I use a Temp Monitor now that is active in statusbar. Has different options too like to show current frequency, good for testing Governors on the fly to see how well they scale or if it's being stuck at a certain frequency.

Attachments

• keypad-board-for-z8-947.jpg
    keypad-board-for-z8-947.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

vismaiy

May 7, 2012
mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
Google Pixel 5a
Oh no!! Even that guy said that I would have to replace the motherboard. And neither I am in a position to buy a new phone nor I would like to since its a good phone. I will see what I can do by myself. Thanks!!!:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

ouroboros12

Nov 12, 2012
Ah, Precision Screwdrivers is the name. They are sold as a kit/case. Find them at hardware stores. Don't force any screwdriver if it doesn't match, else the guides on the screw will get rounded and you'll have a hard time unscrewing.

The option then is complete board replacement. Or a new phone. :D

The USB malfunction is connected on that chip. USB, power button flex and earpiece. Saw mine and the surface-mount got UNSOLDERED. Where the flex cable of USB and Power Button is connected.

After an attempt to fix it it's ok. This is an example image of what got unsoldered, the 3 white females. The males are what's being snapped onto them with the flex cable as referred to the previous image of an opened Optimus Black which part I encircled.. You can also refer to OP, image number 6 as an example.

Heat causes the surface-mounts to get unsoldered. Because of the hardware design, never leave your phone plugged for a prolonged period of time. Especially with ICS.

I use a Temp Monitor now that is active in statusbar. Has different options too like to show current frequency, good for testing Governors on the fly to see how well they scale or if it's being stuck at a certain frequency.

so with the first pic that you posted. can i do that to fix my usb port? cause pressing the back of it makes the ubs port and the power button work..

gabwerkz

Aug 16, 2011
Three Stars and a Sun
Oh no!! Even that guy said that I would have to replace the motherboard. And neither I am in a position to buy a new phone nor I would like to since its a good phone. I will see what I can do by myself. Thanks!!!:)

I can only assume that the mounts are now unaligned when Service Center assembled it again in your case. That even pressing now doesn't make contact. You can however use the G-key as a power button.

so with the first pic that you posted. can i do that to fix my usb port? cause pressing the back of it makes the ubs port and the power button work..

Yes, but do this only as a last resort, no warranty or circumstance hinders you to go to Service Center. Like stated above, if not done right, the mounts/contacts can get unaligned.

You should not touch the unslodered part to avoid misalignment, just add some extra padding on the underside of the backplate then screw it back.

ouroboros12

Nov 12, 2012
I can only assume that the mounts are now unaligned when Service Center assembled it again in your case. That even pressing now doesn't make contact. You can however use the G-key as a power button.

Yes, but do this only as a last resort, no warranty or circumstance hinders you to go to Service Center. Like stated above, if not done right, the mounts/contacts can get unaligned.

You should not touch the unslodered part to avoid misalignment, just add some extra padding on the underside of the backplate then screw it back.

i dont have warranty anymore. so i can just add something to the thingy under it. thanks gabwerkz. ill try this out. ill buy something from ace hardware. :laugh:

vismaiy

May 7, 2012
mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
Google Pixel 5a

Yeah I know but the thing is that earpiece doesn't work and it's quite annoying to use speaker or hurry for an earphone.

ouroboros12

Nov 12, 2012
managed to fix mine. power button works and it charges again. but still cant be recognized by pc. firmware problem? idontknowwhattodoanymore :(

vismaiy

May 7, 2012
mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
Google Pixel 5a
Damn my luck. I got the same screw driver set as in the pic. I unscrewed them except the two of them. It seemed that the people at the service centre unscrewed it too many times that the top part metal of the screw got scraped. Instead of cross shape its now a total circle and I am not able to open them. Nor do I think that they can open it!! Screw these screws!!!:banghead:

ouroboros12

Nov 12, 2012
From the CM10 thread, those who have SOD/Power Button issue.

Symptom: Recurring SOD, power button doesn't respond.
Solution: Pressing the back of the device near the camera then pressing power button.
Started: In the advent of ICS (beginning from KU5900 firmware)

This is your problem.
img21600x1200.jpg

Opening the device, you will see several gray foam like on the underside of the back-plate for each small part. Might be wear and heat that these foam like doesn't put pressure anymore.
If this is soldered or snap on, it means it loses contact. That's why pressing the back of the device works.
What I did was open the device. On that specific part there are two things that presses it on the underside of the back plate. A gray foam like, and a black rubber like just above the gray one.

What I did was remove the black one, and put it on top of the gray one on its top edge. So the press is more effective. Screwed the back plate and assembled again. Waking the deice hereon never failed.

sir gab. why didnt i saw this "A gray foam like, and a black rubber like just above the gray one"
all i saw were silver foil like sheets.

vali.cheche

Nov 16, 2011
Bucharest
sir gab. why didnt i saw this "A gray foam like, and a black rubber like just above the gray one"
all i saw were silver foil like sheets.

Well, opened mine a while ago (dead boot, needed JTAG, but that didn't work either, whatever...). Phone was a 1&1 Germany terminal, one of the first to come out on market.
It wasn't there, the pressure foamy 'device' :). Maybe it is only in some terminals, or only added by Service guys as a preemptive measure against contact wear.

You can just add something there yourself, but be careful on the thickness, or you could damage the contacts due to much pressure. It should just keep it connected when snapped in, not press on it, after installing the back-plate. If even a small extra-pressure is applied, when pressing the back of your phone in your pocket, or else, can cause unwanted damage to the contact.

In regards to the tutorial pics, I really find it rude to the case and whatever may hide beneath it to use metal tools to snap out the safeties. I always use plastic tools specially designed for such tasks, they are really cheap and available online. This way no scratches occur and no possible damage to any loose rebel wire that may come in contact with the case's safety pins (just in case).

Cheers.

*[EDIT]*
Took another look, the foamy thingy is there, but it is stuck on the backplate, glued. :) There are actually more, one for every snap-in contact.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: rodga

rodga

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks
This thread help me sort out my phone
Sometimes it wouldnt charge, the power button wouldnt work and the speaker was on and off.
It seems they all use the same connector

gezaborbely

May 27, 2013
cluj napoca
Component identification

Hello

This is a very helpful thread. I have just disassembled mine. I was wondering what is this component? (i have attached the image because i cannot post outside links as a new member)
The component i am talking about is the one visible on the image number eight in the first post. It is the round and shiny/white element in the top-middle.

It looks like a battery but i am really not sure about that.
I have some issues with the phone. When i checked this component, it looked like an old battery that has bursted/exploded. It doesn't look that bad, but it is suspicious.
I have the service manual where almost everything is explained related to the interiors of this phone, beside this component.

Thank you!

Attachments

• compround.JPG
    compround.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 86

vali.cheche

Nov 16, 2011
Bucharest
Hello

This is a very helpful thread. I have just disassembled mine. I was wondering what is this component? (i have attached the image because i cannot post outside links as a new member)
The component i am talking about is the one visible on the image number eight in the first post. It is the round and shiny/white element in the top-middle.

It looks like a battery but i am really not sure about that.
I have some issues with the phone. When i checked this component, it looked like an old battery that has bursted/exploded. It doesn't look that bad, but it is suspicious.
I have the service manual where almost everything is explained related to the interiors of this phone, beside this component.

Thank you!

I'm not sure, but I would put my money on it as being just a regular button battery, arc soldered there. Just like the one PC motherboards have. If this would not be there, every time you remove your phone's battery, the clock, and maybe some other stuff to, would reset.

It is not the vibration motor, that one is obviously somewhere else, and is big. :p (I've seen phones with vib motors smaller then this battery.)

If you feel ok with a soldering gun and have a bit of skill, you can remove it, check its size with a caliper, and find a replacement. You can find calipers that will tell you the voltage and capacity of button batteries related to their dimensions.

Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [TUT]How to disassemble the LG Optimus Black P970

1. We see 7 screw.
    img09261600x1200e.jpg

2. We need to unscrew all.
    d62da4218ee7f95b.jpg

3. in a visible hole we need to put flat screwdriver and rorate.
    img09401600x1200.jpg

img09461600x1200.jpg

4. We are inside phone
    img09481600x1200.jpg

5. We need to detach marked parts (ignore polish words, it's not important)
    opis1600x1200.jpg

6. Now we undermine motherboard (carefully!)
    img09561600x1200.jpg

7. We see phone without motherboard
    img09571600x1200.jpg

8. Motherboard from the bottom
    img09581600x1200.jpg

9. Motherboard from the top
    b71de0af3b63bcfd.jpg

10. We remove sim and usb slot by undermining with flat screwdriver.
    img09631600x1200.jpg

11. We have full disassembled phone
    img09651600x1200.jpg

I'm not author of this tutorial. This tutorial was written by Pawel19 from forum.android.com.pl (I asked him for permission) . I only translate this tutorial to english language (sorry for my bad english, but I have hope everyone understand what I and Pawel19 mean).

Video founded on youtube by Irchok (I mean he found), created by dcredi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-1YCkJb7k&feature=colike

Link to original tutorial: http://forum.android.com.pl/f359/instrukcja-demontaa-u-lg-p970-161262/
    From the CM10 thread, those who have SOD/Power Button issue.
    You just blew my mind, I thought it was just the button that died, it also fixes the earpiece. Any way of fixing it, without having to press down on it?

Also, you saved me 30 bucks

Symptom: Recurring SOD, power button doesn't respond.
    Solution: Pressing the back of the device near the camera then pressing power button.
    Started: In the advent of ICS (beginning from KU5900 firmware)

This is your problem.
    img21600x1200.jpg

Opening the device, you will see several gray foam like on the underside of the back-plate for each small part. Might be wear and heat that these foam like doesn't put pressure anymore.
    If this is soldered or snap on, it means it loses contact. That's why pressing the back of the device works.
    What I did was open the device. On that specific part there are two things that presses it on the underside of the back plate. A gray foam like, and a black rubber like just above the gray one.

What I did was remove the black one, and put it on top of the gray one on its top edge. So the press is more effective. Screwed the back plate and assembled again. Waking the deice hereon never failed.
    I already done it. I had to replace my cracked glass. The worst part is that it's glued and has some hermetic parts. Be careful to not snatch the earpiece on the top while removing the glass because it is also glued :/
    I found a video on youtube in which is well explained how to disassemble the OB.
    I hope it'll help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-1YCkJb7k&feature=colike

PS: the video is commented in Portuguese.

Don't forget to thank ;)
    Many people are searching tutorial how to disassemble p970. On polish forum we have 3 topics with asking about "whare can I find tut how to disassemble p970".