[Q] Kindle Fire 7" HD is stuck on the reboot

Search This thread

htperkins417

Feb 12, 2014
Good evening scholars, I am at a end with my Kindle Fire. Below is an
exact account of what I was doing and thus the end state of what is now my Kindle.

I have a rooted kindle. Basic root, nothing significant like CynMod. The boot-loader is stock and all. The only thing I really
installed that is not stock is a different Launcher since Amazon's Launcher is just horrid in my opinion.
I was in Rom Toolbox Pro uninstalling Chameleon Launcher because I wanted to run
Apex Launcher instead. So I uninstalled it. At this point there is no launcher running.
I'm using Rom Toolbox as a console so-to-speak. Simply going from one program to the next without actually ever hitting
the home button. So I go to install Apex Launcher and it says installing. However, it didn't do anything at all.
The status bar never moved; simply stayed at 0%. SO! No biggie, I've seen this before. So to make sure it is not Apex or something
I go to the stock Amazon Launcher. I had a backup and tried to install it through Rom Toolbox. Same thing happens,
No response, idle status bar, etc, etc. So at this point I assume it is Rom Toolbox. So I hit the home key on the slide menu.
Well, I have no launcher currently installed so it did nothing. Go figure. So I decide to do a hard reset. So I hold down the power button.The Kindle shuts off and then my troubles started. I hit the power button and it doesn't pass the Kindle is upgrading notice.
So I do another Hard reset adding insult to injury...but, the same thing again. Turn it off again, plug it in to my computer and attempt a fastboot with the stock cable, same results occurred.

So now my kindle shows the standard Kindle Fire Logo at the beginning of the boot cycle and then stops at the Kinde is upgrading...Starting Applications... prompt. Like the link to the photo below.

h ttp://i61.tinypic.com/2s0eeer.jp g

I try rectifying this, reading several articles.
I tried utilizing the Kindle Fire First Aid, the KFHD SRT, even looking into the android SDK a little. But they either - A. Don't recognize the device or, B. Prompts for superuser. Seeing as how my Kindle barely boots how can I check for a superuser prompt?

I go went into my device manager and looked to see if windows registers the Kindle and it does. The device manager displays Hardware ID's indicating something is there.
USB\VID_1949&PID_0007&MI_00
USB\VID_1949&PID_0007&REV_0216&MI_00

I have my hunches on what the problems could be. But I've been working this for a couple days now and have become agitated.
I have never had to many problems with this type of stuff. I won't say I'm a noob at this kind of work however, I feel like it at this point.

Worst comes to worst I would crack her open. But that is risky business. I rarely touch the inside of my devices.

Any words of wisdom are most appreciated.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If you happen to have adb access I'm guessing there's a system app that needs to be chmodd'ed to the right permissions, or if you want you could run "adb reboot bootloader" (and do what I mention next after it's in fastboot mode), however if you have no adb access then you will need to get a fastboot cable and restore with kfhd SRT or kindle fire first aid.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
That's because for those tools to work you need to already be in fastboot mode with the fastboot drivers installed. Have you managed to get into fastboot mode?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

htperkins417

Feb 12, 2014
As of now what you see is what you get. All I get is a never ending boot screen. I see you made a comment about fast-boot drivers. I might be missing something in the equation. I'm going to retrace my steps and start from scratch. Hopefully I will be able to get this thing working.

htperkins417

Feb 12, 2014
Well, I cannot get my Kindle to boot into fastboot. Tried reinstalling ADB drivers and everything. Even tried using the First Aid with no luck. I think the boot loader might be damaged. I keep the kindle off, plug it in, try to initiate a fastboot through the KFFA, it dims and continues normal boot operations. Stopping with the Kindle is upgrading notification.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Those commands aren't going to work unless adb was ever active in the first place, you are going to need a fastboot cable to fix it, the bootloader is behaving just as it should BTW, so it is fine, once you get a fastboot cable it will tell the device to enter fastboot when it powers on, from there kffa should work just fine outside of probably having to install Tue drivers because of how finicky it is. The ones in my signature will surface when the time comes.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app