Free app for chromecast: cast ALL your PC movie to HDTV through Google ChromeCast

Search This thread

mini_wan

Mar 7, 2014
We have provided a free software Wondershare DreamStream that can support chromecast your PC Video to HDTV
Rich video format support:MP4、AVI、MP4、MOV、WMV、MP3、M4A and much more

Download link: http://www.wondershare.com/dreamstream/

The official release version is on its way!
Hi everyone, this is mini wan from the Product Development Team at Wondershare. We would like to thank everybody
for their enthusiasm, support and valued insights into this beta. We are excited to announce the official release is
on its way, with future support for a wide range of devices. We’re also pleased to announce the inclusion of
optional Auto-Indexing based on your input and comments. Stay tuned for the latest version!

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
New version of this program just added Chromecast support. Looks promising, but very buggy (see below).

Information link: http://support.wondershare.com/media-center/
Download link on this page: http://support.wondershare.com/media-center/history.html

Wondershare is a Chinese company that has published a lot of low-cost video apps over the last several years. I've tried some of their video converters and DVD authoring programs. They are frequently given away on Giveawayoftheday.com. They have a full-featured video converter program, so it would be logical for them to have a Chromecast extension that could transcode. I'm also curious o see how this interacts with Chrome, since every other app I know that can cast to the Chromecast from a PC has to run within Chrome. I'll try it...

No good on Win7 64-bit, crashes a few seconds after starting:

MediaCenter has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MediaCenter.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.6
Application Timestamp: 5319ad9a
Fault Module Name: DeviceDiscovery.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 5318a4f7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001bd4
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Win7 32-bit on another computer: same crash

Also has an error on startup on WinXP and can't find the Chromecast (yes, I can cast from Chrome running on WinXP, I know it's not officially supported).
Error is: "The procedure entry point inet_pton could not be located in WS_32.dll"

That's 3 for 3. Obviously not ready for prime time. Better give it a few days for Wondershare to fix initial bugs before you waste time trying it.

Update: problem identified as an incompatibility with Roku media players on the same network.

Also note that it has a couple of types of bad behavior:

1. Installs Wondershare Helper to auto-run on Windows startup (common to their other apps, can be removed from startup without hurting anything)
2. Starts auto-indexing ALL drives and media files on your system without prompting to ask which folders you want to index. In fact it has no settings at all to control auto-indexing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mini_wan

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
Shame its windoze only. The installer runs fine under wine in linux and it completel the installation. Then the exe itself is .NET, and mono crashes when trying to load it.

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013

Actually I don't think the problem is with the Windows version. I have my notebook here at at work that still has the Win7 32-bit version I tested with the Chromecast at home, and it doesn't crash when I run it here (although there's no Chromecast on the network here at work of course).

I don't think it's the absence of the Chromecast that's significant though, because I had inadvertently left the Chromecast USB cable unplugged the first time I tried it at home. The Chromecast wasn't on, but it still crashed that first time, same as subsequent times after I got the Chromecast turned on and connected properly.

I think it may be something else on my home network that is responding to the "DeviceDiscovery.dll" and confusing it into crashing. Let's see, my Roku 2 XS and my Android tablet are online all the time. Maybe one of those? I'll try disconnecting those later to see if it makes a difference. Or maybe it's something to do with the Chromecast having different historical IP addresses that are cached somewhere on my computer, and it's crashing when it tries to check one of those non-existent IP addresses?

Last edited:

AdziE

Sep 23, 2009
Jakarta
worked like a charm here, but I can see the quality slightly reduced.. does anybody notice that? but overall recommend apps, can't wait to get a new update of this
keep it up guys.

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Yes, the Roku was the problem - somehow it is returning a network response that crashes Wondershare Media Center.

But even though it's working now, the performance is disappointing. The video stutters, even with straightforward mp4 files. It's possible that may be because it's still indexing the large video collection on my secondary hard drive - but I didn't tell it to that, I don't want it to do that, and any software designer with an ounce of sense would have made indexing a low-priority thread.

AdziE

Sep 23, 2009
Jakarta
Yes, the Roku was the problem - somehow it is returning a network response that crashes Wondershare Media Center.

But even though it's working now, the performance is disappointing. The video stutters, even with straightforward mp4 files. It's possible that may be because it's still indexing the large video collection on my secondary hard drive - but I didn't tell it to that, I don't want it to do that, and any software designer with an ounce of sense would have made indexing a low-priority thread.

probably because of that, the quality are quite decent in my side (playing 720p mp4 movie) I can see the pixel in my 50 Inch TV from very closer look :D, however from 1,5 - 2 meters it is acceptable and I dont see the quality degraded.

seems the method are similar with video stream cast extension, but VideoStream Cast extension definitely seems more mature than wondershare apps. but now my problem is solved, I can play mp4 files with .srt :D :good:

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Nope, video continues to stutter after it has finished indexing, and it even loses audio sync while casting an mp4 file that doesn't need transcoding. I have a fast desktop computer (CPU utilization only 5% while Media Center is casting), and a good solid WiFi connection to the Chromecast. One time the Chromecast showed its "Brain Freeze" error message while Media Center was trying to cast to it. I think this app is just not ready for release. For the moment I'll stick with Videostream and do a quick conversion to mp4 if I have a file in an incompatible format. Media Center uninstalled for now, but I'll try it again when it's out of beta.

Last edited:

Donzo

Sep 1, 2009
I tried it on my PC with Windows 8.1, but it seems it can't find my Chromecast, it says "No cast devices found" =\

alakiha

Feb 8, 2011
The download link doesn't seem to work for me! can anyone upload it somewhere and put the link here?

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
The Download link is to http://download.wondershare.com/cbs_down/media-center_full1694.exe, which is the version everyone has been testing for the last couple of days. They are probably updating it, which is a good idea since the testing showed it wasn't ready for general publication. Probably best just to be patient and wait to see if an update version shows up in the next few days.

Everything related to Wondershare Media Center seems to have been removed from their web site.

www.wondershare.com/media-center/

Looks to me like it was deliberately removed...

lemondroid

Jun 6, 2011
Download link is dead.

Can any one upload it and share with us?

I have searched for a streaming app for windows, to chromecast... for long time now

mini_wan

Mar 7, 2014
New version of this program just added Chromecast support. Looks promising, but very buggy (see below).

Download link on this page: http://support.wondershare.com/media-center/history.html

Wondershare is a Chinese company that has published a lot of low-cost video apps over the last several years. I've tried some of their video converters and DVD authoring programs. They are frequently given away on Giveawayoftheday.com. They have a full-featured video converter program, so it would be logical for them to have a Chromecast extension that could transcode. I'm also curious o see how this interacts with Chrome, since every other app I know that can cast to the Chromecast from a PC has to run within Chrome. I'll try it...

Problem signature:

Also has an error on startup on WinXP and can't find the Chromecast (yes, I can cast from Chrome running on WinXP, I know it's not officially supported).
Error is: "The procedure entry point inet_pton could not be located in WS_32.dll"

That's 3 for 3. Obviously not ready for prime time. Better give it a few days for Wondershare to fix initial bugs before you waste time trying it.

Update: problem identified as an incompatibility with Roku media players on the same network.

1. Installs Wondershare Helper to auto-run on Windows startup (common to their other apps, can be removed from startup without hurting anything)
2. Starts auto-indexing ALL drives and media files on your system without prompting to ask which folders you want to index. In fact it has no settings at all to control auto-indexing.
Got it, thanks!:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We have provided a free software Wondershare DreamStream that can support chromecast your PC Video to HDTV
    Rich video format support:MP4、AVI、MP4、MOV、WMV、MP3、M4A and much more

Download link: http://www.wondershare.com/dreamstream/

The official release version is on its way!
    Hi everyone, this is mini wan from the Product Development Team at Wondershare. We would like to thank everybody
    for their enthusiasm, support and valued insights into this beta. We are excited to announce the official release is
    on its way, with future support for a wide range of devices. We’re also pleased to announce the inclusion of
    optional Auto-Indexing based on your input and comments. Stay tuned for the latest version!

Problem signature:

+1

Download link on Wondershare website is broken.
    Can anyone share it? :)

Download link has been activated
    http://labs.wondershare.com/project/wondershare-media-center.html
    I am jealous, It crashes on start up for me on Win 8 x64. only get to see it for a sec:mad:

Hi dear, i'm sorry for you, media center don't support Win 8, but we have support plan, we will be compatible with win8 as soon as possible.
    :good:
    Now that the download links are working and I've been able to try this program, I'm quite happy. Scans the hard drive for video/audio and displays them all as thumbnails. The casting works very well, no playback issues at all. Performance is certainly much better than tab-casting. If there was transcoding functionality so we could play AC3 encoded audio without converting first, that would be perfect.