Other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.

Last edited:

tkacer

Oct 25, 2012
BF, MI
www.wmcc.org
Google Pixel 3 XL
Looking to upgrade - but no way, no how will I spend my hard earned cash on a device (Verizon) that in all probability won't be able to run anything other than Touchwiz. Holding out to see what LG and others have to offer this summer -

Guadalupeohara

Feb 5, 2014
D.K
Looking to upgrade - but no way, no how will I spend my hard earned cash on a device (Verizon) that in all probability won't be able to run anything other than Touchwiz. Holding out to see what LG and others have to offer this summer -

OKay. I think you do not want upgrading Verizon. Therefore if you want LG then please tell me how many opportunity you will get from there ?

tkacer

Oct 25, 2012
BF, MI
www.wmcc.org
Google Pixel 3 XL
OKay. I think you do not want upgrading Verizon. Therefore if you want LG then please tell me how many opportunity you will get from there ?

Obviously not staying with VZN - the handwriting is on the wall - will probably go with Tmobile or Sprint. Don't really utilize the features that TW brings to the table, so not having the ability to use AOSP Roms is a deal breaker. Might also have to give up some cell coverage for flashing freedom, but well worth the trade off for me.

greatnesstx

Aug 29, 2007
I have the htc one m8 and the new gs5, I prefer the htc one m8 and my Lg g2 Samsung dropped the ball on this phone

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

sdsubball23

Jan 12, 2012
Obviously not staying with VZN - the handwriting is on the wall - will probably go with Tmobile or Sprint. Don't really utilize the features that TW brings to the table, so not having the ability to use AOSP Roms is a deal breaker. Might also have to give up some cell coverage for flashing freedom, but well worth the trade off for me.

What do you not like about the galaxy s5 that the m8 does better?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

tkacer

Oct 25, 2012
BF, MI
www.wmcc.org
Google Pixel 3 XL
What do you not like about the galaxy s5 that the m8 does better?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app
Not so much S5 vs M8, but VZN vs other carriers that do not lock down their phones. I first and foremost will be changing to either Tmobile or Sprint. Call me spoiled, but after years of being able to flash whatever Rom suits my fancy, I will not (and at this point) do not have to give that up. Will I have to sacrifice some coverage to get that - yes, but a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
After that, I will probably wait until the batch of phones (LG g3, Sony Z2, Nexus 6, Oppo Find 7 etc) hit the market. Not impressed enough with the improvements that either the S5 or M8 have brought (processors, display, camera) vs their predecessors to change over right now. I'll stick to my loki exploitable S4, and come summer or early fall, say good-bye to both Samsung and VZN!

Last edited:

Jeremiah_1988

Nov 11, 2011
Verizon has definitely dropped the ball here!! Bad! They took away 2 of the s5 main features! But I still like the s5 over the m8. I have both. I will say the boomsound is unbeatable, yet everything else goes to the s5 in my book. Battery life is almost twice as good, camera seems better, overall feel in the hand is better. The m8 is just too heavy. Both are high quality phones for sure but I personally think the s5 wins, in spite of big red being the evil step parent beating us with the nearest available object in public. ....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

subcola

Mar 9, 2014
I have a question. Is it hard to get used to vertical app drawer? Iam only afraid if I get used to vertical app drawer i wont be as effective on my ipad as i am now. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
Verizon has definitely dropped the ball here!! Bad! They took away 2 of the s5 main features! But I still like the s5 over the m8. I have both. I will say the boomsound is unbeatable, yet everything else goes to the s5 in my book. Battery life is almost twice as good, camera seems better, overall feel in the hand is better. The m8 is just too heavy. Both are high quality phones for sure but I personally think the s5 wins, in spite of big red being the evil step parent beating us with the nearest available object in public. ....

Which 2 features are missing? The quick glance (I think that's what it was called) that I could do on S4 was nice. Where you wave your hand over the front sensors to see time and notifications while it's asleep, seems to be gone. I really liked that. The S5 does feel good in hand. Really enjoying the dimpled back. Feels nice. The display is lovely has well. As we all have our own opinions, I enjoy the M8 a bit more. I love Sense.. Now. I'm a vanilla Android guy and was really shocked I liked sense and blink feed. Shocked lol. I actually find it easier to hold in one hand than S5, by a bit. I can type easily on the M8, not as easily on the S5. Camera, that has me confused. Love the M8 features and UI. For me, quality is better in certain situations and better on the S5 in situations. Obviously, with the S5, you can crop to your hearts content and that's a big advantage. Either way, IMO, both are great devices and as Android users, we're lucky to have these options.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Jeremiah_1988

Nov 11, 2011
Verizon took out the download boost and PayPal fingerprint scanner, I'm hoping for root and some flashable zips to get them back from big red, but I do really like the phone regardless

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Which 2 features are missing? The quick glance (I think that's what it was called) that I could do on S4 was nice. Where you wave your hand over the front sensors to see time and notifications while it's asleep, seems to be gone. I really liked that. The S5 does feel good in hand. Really enjoying the dimpled back. Feels nice. The display is lovely has well. As we all have our own opinions, I enjoy the M8 a bit more. I love Sense.. Now. I'm a vanilla Android guy and was really shocked I liked sense and blink feed. Shocked lol. I actually find it easier to hold in one hand than S5, by a bit. I can type easily on the M8, not as easily on the S5. Camera, that has me confused. Love the M8 features and UI. For me, quality is better in certain situations and better on the S5 in situations. Obviously, with the S5, you can crop to your hearts content and that's a big advantage. Either way, IMO, both are great devices and as Android users, we're lucky to have these options.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I gave up waiting and switched to the M8. Overall pretty happy now.

What's really pushing me towards the M8 is the communication and lack of courtesy a few members.

I log on everyday just to catch up on daily updates on how status is going on root/bootloader/accessories/etc. The petition created by a fellow member was a great move (it's something, better than nothing) and then again I see members with lots of doubt.

From my point view, I see this site was built for a community to achieve something and surpass the capabilites of a device by working together. I seriously give high props to all the developers willing to do such a thing at no cost but out of pure generosity.

But, with all this negative attitude towards other members, the bashing, trolling, and seriously easy rules to follow.....this really "kills" me in the inside. I'm assuming we're bunch of adults (that was the agreement made when you signed up for this site,18+). These particular individuals just need to get their opinions to themselves. Do that...an no arguments. It's easy as that.

And to those who don't require root..awesome, but keep negative thoughts to yourself. Majority of these members came to XDA for exploits/root reasons. They are other site that pertain to your needs.

Anyways, this was more of a rant. At least i hope it was in appropriate thread.

Is anyone else here tired of seeing developer edition threads in the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5 sub-forum? The only things posted in Verizon Galaxy S 5 Android Development is developer edition related post.
    You guys sound like Apple users over here.

It's unapologetically plastic, magically unrootable, the download booster not working is a "feature", and if the fingerprint scanner doesn't work, it's cause you're holding it wrong.
    just wanted to update everyone from my previous thread. i switched from the S5 to M8 and im not dissapointed. yes the M8 is more slippery but i always get at least a feather case(G2 was slippery without a case). The only thing the s5 had that was better was camera.

I installed skyfall APP (rooted and s-off) with powersaving and greenify... immediate diffrence in battery performace compaired to s5, it has a smaller battery, performance is the same if anything i have less lag on the M8. and it doesnt feel cheap.

More internal storage. better battery life for heavy users, i think motorola did better UI wise than touchwiz.. more like stock kitkat. Less bloat... over all im happy with the move.

My m8 only got hot when i used it alot plugged in the first day. never has turned on in my pocket. actually the s5 turned on more (getting a SMS in my pocket would make the lockscreen sounds go crazy).

Its really a personal preference on whats more important to you, and what your OCD about. I need a solid phone, that i can get heavy usage without excessive drain, and i need root. i feel like until manufatures get into play some of the tech (like custom kernels, underclocking, greenify, being able to disable ALL bloatware) its a neccesity to get a true experiance on the hardware they put out.

Yes my spelling sucks but oh well.n Hope this helps someone that was in the same spot as me