[Q] Increase Internal Kindle Fire HD 7" storage?

Search This thread

bbanghyung

Dec 29, 2012
milwaukee
I was taking a look at iFixIt's teardown of the Kindle Fire HD and was wondering if it was possible in any way to add additional memory to the inside of the kindle fire. It's pretty cramped space but not understanding the logistics myself I am not sure what would be necessary to do such a thing and whether it would require much space. Thought a discussion on it though might be interesting.

iFixIt relevant link: ifixit . com / Teardown/Kindle+Fire+HD+Teardown/10457/2

Kindle Fire HD 16GB

KoWNKh.jpg

AjNdkh.jpg

Imgur Album

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Increased Storage Kindle Fire HD 7"

I was taking a look at iFixIt's teardown of the Kindle Fire HD and was wondering if it was possible in any way to add additional memory to the inside of the kindle fire. It's pretty cramped space but not understanding the logistics myself I am not sure what would be necessary to do such a thing and whether it would require much space. Thought a discussion on it though might be interesting.

Kindle Fire HD 16GB

Great Question!

The Kindle Fire HD 7" is a sealed unit, although our team has been able to open

the Kindle Fire HD. The upgrade is difficult and has found to not be cost

effective. We are working on a USB Driver which will allow you to add external

storage through the USB Port on the Kindle. Until we (or someone else) are successful

this will have to be placed on the back burner.

bbanghyung

Dec 29, 2012
milwaukee
Thanks for the reply. External sounds great! That's too bad there isn't an internal option. But I can imagine that could get be complicated.

I'm familiar with electronics and soldering and have modded other things in the past. Any resources you could point me to that could help me understand a little more hardware wise in this thing?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle 7" HD Hardware

Thanks for the reply. External sounds great! That's too bad there isn't an internal option. But I can imagine that could get be complicated.

I'm familiar with electronics and soldering and have modded other things in the past. Any resources you could point me to that could help me understand a little more hardware wise in this thing?

So far nothing that we are aware of, although we will be offering some hardware info

and videos within the next 6 months. There is a plastic tool that allows the frame

to be pried open, I just can not remember where we got it. This is how we opened

the Kindle Fire HD 7". Once you are inside, you can replace the internal SD Card

but it is a lot of work, just FYI.

bbanghyung

Dec 29, 2012
milwaukee
tools

So far nothing that we are aware of, although we will be offering some hardware info

and videos within the next 6 months. There is a plastic tool that allows the frame

to be pried open, I just can not remember where we got it. This is how we opened

the Kindle Fire HD 7". Once you are inside, you can replace the internal SD Card

but it is a lot of work, just FYI.

Here is the tool -> ifixit .com /Tools/Plastic-Opening-Tools/IF145-000

Sounds promising. I'll investigate further. Wonder what type of sdcard. Does it need to be desoldered off? Also, what is the max size it will take? Some questions to answer before jumping into this one.

If I can answer these questions and it is feasible, I'll make a video on how to do it for others. (After I get mine working of course :)

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Upgrade Internal Storage

Sounds promising. I'll investigate further. Wonder what type of sdcard. Does it need to be desoldered off? Also, what is the max size it will take? Some questions to answer before jumping into this one.

If I can answer these questions and it is feasible, I'll make a video on how to do it for others. (After I get mine working of course :)

That is the tool! So you have one, great. First flip over the

Kindle HD on a towel or something else to protect the LCD.

The back will be exposed, now pry the speaker grill off starting

at the Right Hand Side (carefully). The grill will pop off the Kindle.

This may expose enough to get the job done otherwise, flip the

Kindle exposing the LCD Screen. Carefully, Very carefully

pry open the Kindle (using the tool) starting on the Left Side

where there is no inputs. Slowly prying to the top, then the

Right Side, finally to the bottom. The Kindle top will begin

to lift off the frame. Once you are open, the rest will be

obvious. The motherboard was build by Texas Instruments

and is basted on the OMAP4460. You can take a peek at

the technical documentation here: http://www.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12843&contentId=53243

The core operating system is ICS 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

if you are on software version 7.2.3. Having said all this you

can install up to 32 GB guaranteed, maybe 64 GB (OMAP4460

Chipset supports 64 GB).

Reactions: hillconnor13

skindlies

Jan 4, 2013
Just what I want!

Great Question!

We are working on a USB Driver which will allow you to add external

storage through the USB Port on the Kindle.

This is just what I want to be able to do on my Kindle Fire HD 7" so I can play videos stored on an external 64gb flash drive via an OTG cable. Will your solution require rooting the Kindle? I don't have any Android devices so this is all a bit of a mystery to me but I'm a fast learner!

I was trying to find a solution using something like "Stickmount" or "Nexus Media Importer" (or a Kindle version if available) which I understand doesn't require rooting but as I don't have any other Android devices, I can't even buy the Nexus one to try it. (I've seen the instructions on other threads here to install the Google Play app. Does the Kindle have to be rooted to use Google Play?)

Apologies for all the questions!

Reactions: hillconnor13

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Add Storage to Kindle Fire HD

This is just what I want to be able to do on my Kindle Fire HD 7" so I can play videos stored on an external 64gb flash drive via an OTG cable. Will your solution require rooting the Kindle? I don't have any Android devices so this is all a bit of a mystery to me but I'm a fast learner!

I was trying to find a solution using something like "Stickmount" or "Nexus Media Importer" (or a Kindle version if available) which I understand doesn't require rooting but as I don't have any other Android devices, I can't even buy the Nexus one to try it. (I've seen the instructions on other threads here to install the Google Play app. Does the Kindle have to be rooted to use Google Play?)

skindlies,

Thank you for the questions, this is how we learn so never apologize for asking questions.

Yes, most of the storage options will require Root, so follow our tutorial link below, we

will get you Root on the Kindle. The application Stickmount was designed for the Nexus

7 and 10, it does not work on the Kindle or the Nexus 4. Nexus Media Importer allows you

to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD

card connected to your Nexus 7 & 10, Galaxy Nexus, Xoom or other Android 3.2+

devices with USB Host support. This application will not work on the Kindle since

no one has designed a USB Host Device for the Kindle Fire HD. The potential options

in the future will be a USB Adapter or NAS Client (Network Attached Storage), no

one has designed these options as of yet. We are working on a Universal NAS

Client Software, we should have this available to the public in about 2 months.

Finally, yes, the Kindle does need to be Rooted to install Google Play. Just

follow our tutorial below. If you get stuck, we offer free unlimited support

through the XDA Threads and through email.

Reactions: skindlies

skindlies

Jan 4, 2013
Just What I Want!

skindlies,

Thank you for the questions, this is how we learn so never apologize for asking questions.

Yes, most of the storage options will require Root, so follow our tutorial link below, we

will get you Root on the Kindle. The application Stickmount was designed for the Nexus

7 and 10, it does not work on the Kindle or the Nexus 4. Nexus Media Importer allows you

to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD

devices with USB Host support. This application will not work on the Kindle since

no one has designed a USB Host Device for the Kindle Fire HD. The potential options

in the future will be a USB Adapter or NAS Client (Network Attached Storage), no

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. I think I had better do some serious studying before I attempt anything, especially the thread on how to do a Kindle OS backup! I will then have to steel my nerves to root the Kindle but it's good to know you are all there for support. I'll be watching avidly for news of your proposed solution. Many thanks again, Sue

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. I think I had better do some serious studying before I attempt anything, especially the thread on how to do a Kindle OS backup! I will then have to steel my nerves to root the Kindle but it's good to know you are all there for support. I'll be watching avidly for news of your proposed solution. Many thanks again, Sue

skindlies,

Just let us know when you are ready. Even if you have to use our phone support, we

usually solve most issues in the first 15 minutes. Remember, we do offer unlimited

free support through email and through the threads. We are here from 10am to 10pm PST

GMT -8 and 24x7 through the phone. Let us know how we can help you, we are here

to support you.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Upgraded Storage

It will require surface mount soldering....not a novice job...
If you do it good luck...
Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

mrkhigh,

Actually my Kindle 8.9" has a SD Card socket and I just upgraded the SD Card to 64GB. So our

office Kindle HD 8.9" has 64GB of storage. What made it challenging was Mirroring the boot

partitions so the Kindle would boot. This is how we installed a Beta Copy of Jelly Bean, do

not get excited, it was terrible, very unstable and not reasonable for public use. We are

about 4 to 6 months away from a custom ROM.

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Sorry was going by the picture he linked looked surface mount... in other news... nifty! Now all we need is some software to prep a 64 gig sd card for two os's

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

TrenchC

Jul 18, 2011
I am going to be switching out my SD card this week. I'll probably just use Clonezilla or easeus disk copy to clone the drive.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Upgrade Kindle Fire 64GB SD Card

I am going to be switching out my SD card this week. I'll probably just use Clonezilla or easeus disk copy to clone the drive.

TrenchC,

Keep us posted. We used a disk recovery package that is used in disaster recovery so

it had no problem copying the Kindle Fire HD hidden partition. Let us know if Clonezilla

works. Thank you for being a part of the XDA Community allowing us all to learn from

each others experiments!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
SD Card Upgarde Amazon Kindle 8.9"

Just to clarify, there is a slot inside the kindle 8.9 where you can insert a SD card?
Is that what differs the 16gb from the 32gb version?

enricong,

Let me tell you something about Amazon: One series of 8.9" may have an SD Card slot, the next has the

SD Card soldered to the board, the next has an SD Card that is sealed with Black Epoxy with no chance to

removal. So, I can not guarantee anything. Remember Amazon built these with the thought they would

never be opened just like the Nexus 7 and 10. Just open it, what do you have to loose?

Reactions: bbanghyung

bbanghyung

Dec 29, 2012
milwaukee
enricong,

Just open it, what do you have to loose?

Just opened my Kindle Fire HD (with my fingernail starting at a speaker vent near the power button and I have short fingernails) and posted the pics for this thread in the original post. Thought this thread could use some pictures. I believe my chip to be soldered to the board, it doesn't appear to be a socket but correct me if I'm wrong. :)

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire Storage Upgrade

Just opened my Kindle Fire HD (with my fingernail starting at a speaker vent near the power button and I have short fingernails) and posted the pics for this thread in the original post. Thought this thread could use some pictures. I believe my chip to be soldered to the board, it doesn't appear to be a socket but correct me if I'm wrong. :)

bbanghyung,

Very interesting, they have placed a shield over the chip in a effort to keep prying hands away from upgraded!

Even if there is a socket below the shield, it is not worth taking a chance with overheating the SD Card while

uncovering the SD Chip. There is enough space for a socket but it is clear, these devices are non serviceable.

The first 8.9" series has a socket, no cover. I'll bet the latest 8.9" has a cover over the socket. This explains

why Amazon replaces all the bad units when the are sent back to Amazon for repair - they were not designed

to be serviced, period.

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
We are working on a USB Driver which will allow you to add external storage through the USB Port on the Kindle.
Is there any way to get updates of your progress? I'd really love a driver that let me do this on my Fire HD 8.9". I even, by coincidence, have an adapter with a male microUSB B connector on one end and a female USB A connector on the other.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Increased Storage Kindle Fire HD 7"

Kindle Fire HD 16GB

Great Question!

The Kindle Fire HD 7" is a sealed unit, although our team has been able to open

the Kindle Fire HD. The upgrade is difficult and has found to not be cost

effective. We are working on a USB Driver which will allow you to add external

storage through the USB Port on the Kindle. Until we (or someone else) are successful

this will have to be placed on the back burner.
    Upgrade Internal Storage

That is the tool! So you have one, great. First flip over the

Kindle HD on a towel or something else to protect the LCD.

The back will be exposed, now pry the speaker grill off starting

at the Right Hand Side (carefully). The grill will pop off the Kindle.

This may expose enough to get the job done otherwise, flip the

Kindle exposing the LCD Screen. Carefully, Very carefully

pry open the Kindle (using the tool) starting on the Left Side

where there is no inputs. Slowly prying to the top, then the

Right Side, finally to the bottom. The Kindle top will begin

to lift off the frame. Once you are open, the rest will be

obvious. The motherboard was build by Texas Instruments

and is basted on the OMAP4460. You can take a peek at

the technical documentation here: http://www.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12843&contentId=53243

The core operating system is ICS 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

if you are on software version 7.2.3. Having said all this you

can install up to 32 GB guaranteed, maybe 64 GB (OMAP4460

Chipset supports 64 GB).
    Just what I want!

Great Question!

We are working on a USB Driver which will allow you to add external

storage through the USB Port on the Kindle.

Add Storage to Kindle Fire HD

skindlies,

SD Card Upgarde Amazon Kindle 8.9"

Just to clarify, there is a slot inside the kindle 8.9 where you can insert a SD card?
    Is that what differs the 16gb from the 32gb version?

enricong,

Let me tell you something about Amazon: One series of 8.9" may have an SD Card slot, the next has the

SD Card soldered to the board, the next has an SD Card that is sealed with Black Epoxy with no chance to

removal. So, I can not guarantee anything. Remember Amazon built these with the thought they would

never be opened just like the Nexus 7 and 10. Just open it, what do you have to loose?