HOW TO: Run games from USB drive

Search This thread

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
NOTE: Currently only working on Android 4.1.2. I'll look for a workaround when my new OTG cables come in.

So I purchased the 8 GB Nexus 7 and began to regret not getting the 16 GB version. These 1-3 GB games are killing me. I purchased The Bard's Tale (great game btw) and the TegraHD version requires 3.5 GB! I already had a USB OTG cable so I began looking for a way to store the game data on the USB drive and mount it to the data directory on the sdcard.

You will need:
  • Compatible USB OTG Cable
  • Paragon NTFS&HFS+
  • GScript Lite
  • Compatible kernel (ntfs read/write support)

I've tested this on ParanoidAndroid and SGT7 but it should work on any rom.

Note: Each game requires a game data folder on the USB drive that matches my script (or you can create your own folder and edit the script). You will also need a blank folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/android/data/GAMEFOLDER_from_Script - You have to use this folder name). Once this folder from the USB drive has been mounted to the correct position on the SDCARD, the game data will download to the USB drive.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWqLjnCSBg&feature=youtube_gdata

NTFS USB Drive STEPS:
  1. Plug in USB drive to Nexus 7 and unmount if the system automounts the drive (Settings - Storage - Unmount shared storage)
  2. Open Paragon NTFS&HFS+ and mount the USB drive using the automatic mount point setting (/storage/usbdisk).
  3. Open GScript Lite and run a game script to bind mount the game data folder to the sdcard.
  4. Enjoy your game and extra space!
  5. When done, unmount with Paragon NTFS&HFS+.

FAT32 USB Drive STEPS:
  1. Plug in USB drive to Nexus 7, it should be automounted by the system to the default location: /storage/usbdisk
  2. Open GScript Lite and run a game script to bind mount the game data folder to the sdcard.
  3. Enjoy your game and extra space!
  4. When done, unmount via the system: (Settings - Storage - Unmount shared storage)

Assuming your USB drive is mounted on /storage/usbdisk/ and you have created the empty game data folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/android/data/GAMEFOLDER_from_Script), the following scripts should work:
Code:
Script for Horn:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/Horn /sdcard/Android/obb/com.Phosphor.Horn.Paid

Script for Bard's Tale:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/BardsTale /sdcard/Android/data/com.inxile.BardTale

Script for Max Payne:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/MaxPayne /sdcard/Android/data/com.rockstar.maxpayne

Script for Dead Trigger (gave me an error the first time opened but worked fine afterwards):
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/DeadTrigger /sdcard/Android/obb/com.madfingergames.deadtrigger

Script for Shadow Gun THD:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/shadowgun /sdcard/Android/data/com.madfingergames.shadowgun_thd

Script for Asphalt 7:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/Asphalt7 /sdcard/Android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM

Script for The Dark Knight Rises:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/TDKR /sdcard/Android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKRHM

Script for Mass Effect Infiltrator:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/MassEffect /sdcard/Android/data/com.ea.games.meinfiltrator_na

I'll add more scripts as time permits.

Alternate Method (No scripts needed but you loose SDCard when USB drive is mounted):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1865094

Last edited:

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
Have you tried running horn or dead trigger from the flash drive? I'm just curious if the drive is fast enough to play high end games off of or if it lags?

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
Have you tried running horn or dead trigger from the flash drive? I'm just curious if the drive is fast enough to play high end games off of or if it lags?
I'll see about moving dead trigger over. I haven't purchased horn yet due to lack of space but may consider buying it now.

(BTW the Bard's Tale is pretty graphics intensive and it runs fine)

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
I'm getting a black screen followed by a close on Mass Effect... Going to try internal memory to make sure it's not the rom.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Jordanooo

Jun 10, 2011
I get the message 'no NTFS of HTS+/HFSX partitions found' when opening the app

On paranoid android 2.15

coolprateek.kumar

Sep 24, 2012
Bhagalpur
I'm getting a black screen followed by a close on Mass Effect... Going to try internal memory to make sure it's not the rom.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

I had the same problem with mass effect....just turn on internet and use it...game will start. You might need to delete 1 more file...but 1st see if it runs

Please press thanks if it works.
Sent from my K-Touch W619 using xda premium

Reactions: af021

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Kudos to you sir this is briliant :) i've got the 16gb and i've got a ton of games and im down to 4GB's this should come in handy when more 1gb games come out that interest me.

karl0ss

Jul 18, 2008
Directory bind works best for this and free, bards tale works, as does GTA/FIFA/spiderman

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
Directory bind works best for this and free, bards tale works, as does GTA/FIFA/spiderman

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm doing with GScript (directory bind mounts from one device to another)... still have to unmount via Storage and use Paragon if you want to use NTFS drives.

Jordanooo

Jun 10, 2011
Got usb mounted and had a go at the script, but keeps saying directory not found
Could you possibly do a video?

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
Got usb mounted and had a go at the script, but keeps saying directory not found
Could you possibly do a video?

Yeah I'll see if I can't throw one together tonight/this weekend. What game are you trying?

Note: Each game requires a game data folder on the USB drive that matches my script (or you can create your own folder and edit the script). You will also need a blank folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/android/data/GAMEFOLDER_from_Script - You have to use this folder name). Once this folder from the USB drive has been mounted to the correct position on the SDCARD, the game data will download to the USB drive.

phiberoptick

Sep 7, 2010
So I purchased the 8 GB Nexus 7 and began to regret not getting the 16 GB version. These 1-3 GB games are killing me. I purchased The Bard's Tale (great game btw) and the TegraHD version requires 3.5 GB! I already had a USB OTG cable so I began looking for a way to store the game data on the USB drive and mount it to the data directory on the sdcard.

You will need:
  • Paragon NTFS&HFS+
  • GScript Lite

STEPS:
  1. Plug in USB drive to Nexus 7 and unmount if the system automounts the drive (Settings - Storage - Unmount shared storage)
  2. Open Paragon NTFS&HFS+ and mount the USB drive using the automatic mount point setting (/storage/usbdisk).
  3. Open GScript Lite and run a game script to bind mount the game data folder to the sdcard.

Code:
Script for Bard's Tale:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/BardsTale /sdcard/Android/data/com.inxile.BardTale

Script for Max Payne:
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/MaxPayne /sdcard/Android/data/com.rockstar.maxpayne

Script for Dead Trigger (gave me an error the first time opened but worked fine afterwards):
mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/DeadTrigger /sdcard/Android/obb/com.madfingergames.deadtrigger

*FAT32 drives may work fine using the default Android USB automounter (just skip step 1 (unmount part) and step 2. When finished, unmount via storage instead of Paragon NTFS&HFS+). Please let me know if this works for you!

Gotta love bind mounts! I use em all the time.

-Ronan

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: barento32

gizmomelb

Aug 4, 2012
thanks for the tip, very useful info. I'm looking at using a USB to micro SD adapter and using the micro SD as storage (obviously), will report how well (or not) it works.

Jordanooo

Jun 10, 2011
Oh, wow. Just got this working.
Didnt see the space in the script
Great work, thanks for this tutorial!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: Currently only working on Android 4.1.2. I'll look for a workaround when my new OTG cables come in.

You will need:
    • Paragon NTFS&HFS+
    • GScript Lite

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWqLjnCSBg&feature=youtube_gdata

NTFS USB Drive STEPS:

FAT32 USB Drive STEPS:
    1. Plug in USB drive to Nexus 7, it should be automounted by the system to the default location: /storage/usbdisk
    2. Open GScript Lite and run a game script to bind mount the game data folder to the sdcard.
    3. Enjoy your game and extra space!
    4. When done, unmount via the system: (Settings - Storage - Unmount shared storage)

Assuming your USB drive is mounted on /storage/usbdisk/ and you have created the empty game data folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/android/data/GAMEFOLDER_from_Script), the following scripts should work:
    Code:
    Script for Horn:
    mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/Horn /sdcard/Android/obb/com.Phosphor.Horn.Paid

Script for Bard's Tale:

Script for Max Payne:

Script for Shadow Gun THD:
    mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/shadowgun /sdcard/Android/data/com.madfingergames.shadowgun_thd

Script for Asphalt 7:
    mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/Asphalt7 /sdcard/Android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM

Script for The Dark Knight Rises:
    mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/TDKR /sdcard/Android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKRHM

Script for Mass Effect Infiltrator:
    mount -o bind /storage/usbdisk/MassEffect /sdcard/Android/data/com.ea.games.meinfiltrator_na

Alternate Method (No scripts needed but you loose SDCard when USB drive is mounted):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1865094
    Directory Bind does not seem to be working with 4.2.1

and does not look like the dev will ever update it as he has not been seen for almost a year on xda..

a real shame as i use directory bind on my gnote

Guys sorry I haven't been updating this guide since 4.2.1. Both my USB OTG cables have shorts in them so I haven't even attempted to find a workaround yet. I just ordered two more cables and will look into getting things working again on 4.2.1.
    So I have to reboot the whole OS to play games or stuck in 4.1? PLEASE make this work my admired developers / hackers.

Ok. I've use this script since a month ago and have use it to run nfs mount and directory binding successfully in 4.2.2 stock rom. I found it on the net and only remove a few line from it. All credit goes to the original author.

Requirement:
    1. Root
    2. Busybox install in /system/xbin
    3. Stickmount
    4. $cripter (search in Play Store) - this is use to run the script or you can run it manually in terminal without this app.

This is example script to bind FIFA12. All files needed for this game is in external sdcard under FIFA12 directory.

The one that did the job is the last line, so ONLY modify that line to suit your need (the one that start with "adb_send_cmd")

Step:
    1. Mount your external media using stickmount
    2. Copy all file from game folder to external media
    3. Save the script somewhere in internal storage
    4. Open $cripter and go to setting to set your script directory
    5. After the script appears in $cripter, long press and select edit. Tick run as root and save.
    6. Run the said script from $cripter.

Caveat:
    If output from $cripter says something about device offline, just try again. That mean adb is not ready yet and nothing got mounted. Also just ignore the file not found line in the $cripter output. That got something to do with multiuser, the script did run. Sometimes stickmount mount the external media to somewhere different than sda1, so check that too.

Edit: if you get too many device offline error, try to set the sleep time longer in the script. Find the line start with sleep and change 2 to 5.

#!/system/bin/sh

adb_status=`getprop init.svc.adbd`
    adb_port=`getprop service.adb.tcp.port`

if [ -z "$adb_port" ]; then
    adb_port=-1
    fi

adb_use_port=$adb_port
    adb_connected=0
    adb_sysroot=`getprop persist.sys.root_access`

if [ -z "$adb_sysroot" ]; then
    $adb_sysroot=''
    fi

adb_use_root=$adb_sysroot
    adb_rsa_keyed=0
    adb_key_at_connect=0

trap "adb_reset" EXIT

adb_send_cmd() {
    adb_start_flex
    adb -s localhost:"$adb_use_port" shell su -c "$*"
    }

adb_start_flex() {
    local adb_restart=0
    if [ "$adb_use_root" != "3" ]; then
    setprop persist.sys.root_access "3"
    adb_use_root=3
    fi

if ! [ "$adb_use_port" -gt 0 ]; then
    adb_use_port=5556
    setprop service.adb.tcp.port "$adb_use_port"
    adb_restart=1
    fi

if [ "$adb_connected" -eq 0 ]; then
    if ! [ -f "$ANDROID_DATA/.android/adbkey.pub" ]; then
    adb kill-server
    HOME="$ANDROID_DATA" adb start-server
    fi

grep -Fxq "$(cat $ANDROID_DATA/.android/adbkey.pub)" "$ANDROID_DATA/misc/adb/adb_keys"

if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]; then
    cat $ANDROID_DATA/.android/adbkey.pub >> $ANDROID_DATA/misc/adb/adb_keys
    adb_rsa_keyed=1
    adb_restart=1
    fi

if [ "$adb_restart" -eq 1 ]; then
    adb kill-server
    stop adbd
    start adbd
    sleep 2
    fi

HOME="$ANDROID_DATA" adb connect localhost:$adb_use_port
    adb_connected=1

fi
    }

adb_reset() {
    local adb_restart=0

if [ "$adb_connected" -ne 0 ]; then
    adb disconnect localhost:$adb_use_port
    adb_connected=0

if [ "$adb_rsa_keyed" -ne 0 ]; then
    sed -i "\|$(cat $ANDROID_DATA/.android/adbkey.pub)|d" $ANDROID_DATA/misc/adb/adb_keys
    adb_restart=1
    fi

if [ "$adb_port" -le 0 ]; then
    setprop service.adb.tcp.port "$adb_port"
    adb_restart=1
    fi

if [ "$adb_restart" -eq 1 ]; then
    stop adbd
    start adbd
    fi
    fi

if [ "$adb_use_root" -ne "$adb_sys_root" ]; then
    setprop persist.sys.root_access "$adb_sys_root"
    fi

if [ "$adb_status" == "stopped" ]; then
    adb kill-server
    stop adbd
    fi
    }

adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o bind /data/media/0/usbStorage/sda1/FIFA12 /data/media/0/Android/data/com.ea.game.fifa12_row"

exit 0

Example mount:
    1. NFS mount/umount
    adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o nolock server_ipaddr:/path/to/server/nfsvolume /data/media/0/nfsmount
    adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox umount /data/media/0/nfsmount"

2. Dungeon Hunter 4 mount/umount
    adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o bind /data/media/0/usbStorage/sda1/DungeonHunter4 /data/media/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftD4HM"
    adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox umount /data/media/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftD4HM"

3. Modern Combat: Zero Hour (2 mount point: data and obb in one script)
    adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o bind /data/media/0/usbStorage/sda1/MC4/obb /data/media/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM4HM"

adb_send_cmd "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o bind /data/media/0/usbStorage/sda1/MC4/data /data/media/0/Android/data/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM4HM/files"

You can also use the app bind directory to mount and unmount works great even transfers files auto for you! I play all my games off a 32gb flash drive

1. Basically install stickmount hook up your OTG Cable to your nexus 7 with your usb drive.

2. Install bind directory.

3. You have to know what folders have what in them so I use storage analyser to find what files are bigger.

4. Create folders on your usb drive with names you can remember where you are mounting the games.

5. Open bind directory and select the top part is where your data is going on the usb drive and bottom is where it is currently then check transfer data.

6. Click the file to make it green and play!

When unmounting hit the green file to make it grey and unmount from stickmount!

Always back up your bind directory data base!

Dead Trigger, O&C, GTA3 all work just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app