Downgrade from 4.3 back to 4.1.2

Search This thread

zephr5

Jan 9, 2009
Merced
So I did this a couple times now first by accident, then on purpose. If you want to go back to 4.1.2 from 4.3 all you have to do is use Odin. Flash stock 4.1.2 onto 4.3 you get an error "unsupported firmware" then put your phone back into download mode (volume down+home button+power) next flash CF-auto root. After that you can boot into recovery (volume up+home+power) in recovery format everything factory reset, format cache. Last reboot your phone it should reboot into 4.1.2 I think that is how I did it if I remember all the steps right. Feel free to ask questions I don't always explain myself very well.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

jk0l

Oct 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
So, has the 4.3 bootloader (which has KNOX) been downgraded to 4.1.2? And KNOX is removed?
What is the status of your device right now in Download Mode?

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
So, has the 4.3 bootloader (which has KNOX) been downgraded to 4.1.2? And KNOX is removed?
What is the status of your device right now in Download Mode?

More importantly, if it has the non-Knox download mode (without the whole 0x1 tidbit), does reinstalling the OTA (which would have the Knox download mode) show 0x1 or 0x1 ??

zephr5

Jan 9, 2009
Merced
Well to be honest I think the answer to both questions is No. In download mode after I did the ota knox bull has been there. I actually only meant to use auto root on my 4.3 but knox kept on screwing up the root and su would fc. I figured if I started over and used auto root on 4.3 right after flashing rom with odin without letting phone boot and that worked I have 4.3 rooted with su and custom recovery (cwm). So no I didn't find a way to get rid of knox completely. Just a way to go back to 4.1.2 from 4.3.

GN2Rabbit

Dec 19, 2012
Well to be honest I think the answer to both questions is No. In download mode after I did the ota knox bull has been there. I actually only meant to use auto root on my 4.3 but knox kept on screwing up the root and su would fc. I figured if I started over and used auto root on 4.3 right after flashing rom with odin without letting phone boot and that worked I have 4.3 rooted with su and custom recovery (cwm). So no I didn't find a way to get rid of knox completely. Just a way to go back to 4.1.2 from 4.3.

You need to update supersu when rooting on 4.3. Otherwise it will forceclose.

Sent from my SGH-T889

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
I'm still thinking that Knox will need to be patched/disabled during the root process (or something along those lines). Samsung claims the the fuse trigger is only capable of being triggered from 0x0 to 0x1 and not back again. So to me the answersolution probably will have to come with segregating Knox from the bootloader/system altogether. It'd be funny if devs could use Knox against itself by segregating it in the very "sandbox" it creates, if that makes sense

meoshe

May 7, 2009
Any 4.1.2 stock tar or was it a specific one? also is there only one version of CF auto root?

cr1130

Aug 13, 2010
Philly PA
Help please!

Hello All.. After over 5 years of flashing I think I have finally bricked my device.. I am normally great with directions and the forum however I think the latest 4.3 update got me twisted up. Odin'd back to stock and upgraded OTA. All was well.. Then I attempted Chainfire's CF auto root.. All was well and I froze on a phone call.. I battery pulled and now I get "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".. I tried to go through Kies emergency recovery and it wont accept my serial numbers.. I called t-mobile they told me I need to bring it to a smasung dealer to get "flashed"... I'm at a lost now.. One thing else is when I access download mode I see this Knox Warranty Void : 1.. Does this mean I'm done? I've been trying to read up on this knox and it seems scary to say the least.. yet nothing I read has helped me.. After hors of searching and missing the football game I decided to look to the forums.. Any help is very much appreciated. :crying:

I tried to ODIN back to stock with several .tar files (UVBMB4 and UVALJ1) it fails and shows unsupported version(in red) on the device:crying:

Device-T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hello All.. After over 5 years of flashing I think I have finally bricked my device.. I am normally great with directions and the forum however I think the latest 4.3 update got me twisted up. Odin'd back to stock and upgraded OTA. All was well.. Then I attempted Chainfire's CF auto root.. All was well and I froze on a phone call.. I battery pulled and now I get "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".. I tried to go through Kies emergency recovery and it wont accept my serial numbers.. I called t-mobile they told me I need to bring it to a smasung dealer to get "flashed"... I'm at a lost now.. One thing else is when I access download mode I see this Knox Warranty Void : 1.. Does this mean I'm done? I've been trying to read up on this knox and it seems scary to say the least.. yet nothing I read has helped me.. After hors of searching and missing the football game I decided to look to the forums.. Any help is very much appreciated. :crying:

I tried to ODIN back to stock with several .tar files (UVBMB4 and UVALJ1) it fails and shows unsupported version(in red) on the device:crying:

Device-T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2

Odin the official 4.3 update. That should fix you up

Reactions: cr1130

ProfeKarma

Dec 18, 2010
Maryland
So I did this a couple times now first by accident, then on purpose. If you want to go back to 4.1.2 from 4.3 all you have to do is use Odin. Flash stock 4.1.2 onto 4.3 you get an error "unsupported firmware" then put your phone back into download mode (volume down+home button+power) next flash CF-auto root. After that you can boot into recovery (volume up+home+power) in recovery format everything factory reset, format cache. Last reboot your phone it should reboot into 4.1.2 I think that is how I did it if I remember all the steps right. Feel free to ask questions I don't always explain myself very well.

Sweet baby jesus! It worked. I thought I was going to stay on the eternal bootloop. Thank you again!

tiningalan

Dec 18, 2013
downgrade from 4.3 back to 4.1.1

sir, i'm new to this forum and here's my situation:
i have a sgh-t889 t-mobile locked, stock 4.1.2 (UVBMB4) which i erroneously updated to android 4.3 via kies.
i cannot do network unlock because based on my forum searches, only android 4.1.1 can be network unlocked via the method outlined here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721

i have odin 3.07 and have already downloaded the following roms:
1. T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7_T889UVUCMK7_HOME.tar.md5
1.68 GB (1,814,261,839 bytes) (1,771,742 KB)
2. KIES_HOME_T889UVALJ1_T889TMBALJ1_260018_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5
1.25 GB (1,345,341,538 bytes) (1313811 KB)

can i reflash my sgh-t889 to 4.1.1 safely and do my own unlock?
thanks for any clarification and more power.

ProfeKarma

Dec 18, 2010
Maryland
I flashed to 4.1.1 directly and this worked. I had flashed ota 4.3 rooted the phone, then jedi X 4.3 rom and it messed up my phone bad. Would lose data all the time and massive battery drain. Now I'm back on 4.3 stock rooted.

tiningalan

Dec 18, 2013
android 4.3 to 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 re-flash failure

If you can flash back to 4.1.2 from 4.3 then you can flash back to 4.1.1 from 4.1.2. That's how I unlocked my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the suggestion but the 'com' portion of odin 3.07 would not lit up and the following ROMs could not be flashed:
4.1.2 = SGH-T889_TMB_T889UVBMB4-teshxx.tar.md5
4.1.1 = KIES_HOME_T889UVALJ1_T889TMBALJ1_260018_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5

the 'com' portion of odin would only lit up if the sgh-t889 is connected to the pc under usb mode. it would not lit up under download mode.

i have this other 4.1.1 ROM which i did not test yet as of this moment as i'm waiting for more information:
4.1.1 = root66_root66_TMO_T889UVALJ1.tar.md5TMO_T889UVALJ1

from kies update, i have also saved my new updated ROM:
4.3 = T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7_T889UVUCMK7_HOME.tar.md5

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

I flashed to 4.1.1 directly and this worked. I had flashed ota 4.3 rooted the phone, then jedi X 4.3 rom and it messed up my phone bad. Would lose data all the time and massive battery drain. Now I'm back on 4.3 stock rooted.

just for clarification, you were on stock 4.1.2, updated OTA to 4.3, then re-flashed successfully to 4.1.1 via odin, then flashed OTA 4.3?

Last edited:

tiningalan

Dec 18, 2013
4.1.2 to 4.3 via kies to 4.1.1 via odin to 4.3 via kies

re-reading this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721
afterwards, i decided to use odin 3.07 again but this time, i used another usb cable.
i used this ROM = KIES_HOME_T889UVALJ1_T889TMBALJ1_260018_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5

re-flashing to lower version via odin 3.07 was successful.
i did the unlocking trick as outlined in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721

under android 4.1.1 settings, MODIFIED.
software update thru OTA was denied due to software modification.

successfully re-flashed to android 4.3 via odin 3.07 using this ROM = T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7_T889UVUCMK7_HOME.tar.md5
knox counter was tripped.
afaik, wifi is okay, able to browse my wifi network
i have not yet tested a non-tmo sim.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To Downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.2. I have done this with 100% Success :)

BACKUP everything. (Important)

Turn ON USB Debugging mode and Unknown sources.

First ROOT your phone.

Open Playstore and Update SuperSU. Open SuperSU and it will give a message to disable KNOX. Click YES/Ok.

Then install Titanium backup root from Playstore. Open it, go to backup/restore tab.
    Find,
    1.com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
    2.com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
    3.KLMS Agent
    4.KNOX
    5.Knox Notification Manager
    6.KNOX Store

Go to each one of it and Uninstall them.

Next restart your phone.

*VERY IMPORTANT* Now Backup your efs folder by using EFS Professional on you computer (Link: http://d-h.st/Gfo ). Because your imei number will be changed after downgrading. You can easily restore it later.

Now install Mobile Odin Pro from Playstore on your phone. Here is the link.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.mobileodin.pro

*IMPORTANT* DO NOT flash firmware for downgrading with Computer Odin as it will NOT work and it will FAIL. *ONLY Mobile Odin Pro from Playstore will work.

Copy your 4.1.2 firmware to your phone. Next Open Mobile Odin Pro on your phone and let it download some necessary files from internet.
    When done, click on Open file and select the firmware. After loading the firmware scroll down and UNCHECK EverRoot(because it cause problems). Then click on FLASH Firmware.

*IMPORTANT* If your phone get stuck on samsung logo. Go into recovery mode by pressing Home+Power+Volume UP keys together for 15 seconds. Click Factory wipe/data and then Wipe Cache. Then Reboot.
    Now check your imei by *#06#. If imei is changed then restore it from EFS Professional.
    i have not yet tested a non-tmo sim.[/SIZE]
    Since you already tripped the knox counter, you can flash the VALL4 tmobile modem and try the same unlock steps in the thread.

The specific modem was all that was required to unlock the t889. I unlocked on 4.1.2 only flashing the older modem and following the unlock steps. :)
    thanks for the suggestion but the 'com' portion of odin 3.07 would not lit up and the following ROMs could not be flashed:
    4.1.2 = SGH-T889_TMB_T889UVBMB4-teshxx.tar.md5
    4.1.1 = KIES_HOME_T889UVALJ1_T889TMBALJ1_260018_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5

the 'com' portion of odin would only lit up if the sgh-t889 is connected to the pc under usb mode. it would not lit up under download mode.

i have this other 4.1.1 ROM which i did not test yet as of this moment as i'm waiting for more information:
    4.1.1 = root66_root66_TMO_T889UVALJ1.tar.md5TMO_T889UVALJ1

from kies update, i have also saved my new updated ROM:
    4.3 = T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7_T889UVUCMK7_HOME.tar.md5

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

just for clarification, you were on stock 4.1.2, updated OTA to 4.3, then re-flashed successfully to 4.1.1 via odin, then flashed OTA 4.3?

the final step I flashed T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7_TMB-1.zip not the OTA 4.3, Im on a rooted stock 4.3
    So no chance of custom recovery? Back to square one... Now I'm just debating sending it to that mobiletech company that charges $75 to downgrade the phone to 4.1.2 (physically) thanks for trying man can't imagine it to be an easy process :thumbs up:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

As far as I know the 4.3 bootloader cannot be downgraded. Downgrading to 4.1.2 ROM(excluding bootloader) is possible and not that difficult.
    You can flash 4.1.2 ROM's using mobile odin pro. If anyone is interested I can pack 4.1.2 ROM with 4.3 bootloader so technically it would be possible to downgrade using PC ODIN too.