[Q] Two Nook HD 7s exhibiting same ID on network

Search This thread

jck_p

Dec 8, 2012
I have two Nook HD 7s that I rooted using leapinlar's instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317500. They work well except when the kids get on the network together the devices appear to have the same ID, so the router appears to be assigning the same IP address to both of them. The result is the two kids can't be on at the same time. Anyone heard of anything like this before?

I don't remember for sure, but when I did the root and CM10.1.3 on emmc, I backed up one and then may have used that backup to do the 2nd tab. Would that cause this issue?

I don't have the devices with me right now, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll have them later to troubleshoot "hands on".

Thanks. They've been working fine for months otherwise...

ejstubbs

Jul 6, 2011
Edinburgh
Two possibilities come to mind:
1) The first device had been set to use a static IP address on your Wifi network, and that got copied to the second device when you restored the backup to it. Fix would be to change the fixed IP address on the second device, or use DHCP.
2) Another possibility (though I don't know if this would actually happen) is that the second device ended up with the same MAC address as the first device following the restore. That would mean that the router would not be able to differentiate between the devices and it would just keep handing out the same IP address whenever either device asked for one. If that does turn out to be the case then I think you might have to take the second device back to its stock ROM and then re-install CM10.1.3 from scratch, rather than by restoring a backup from the first device.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have two Nook HD 7s that I rooted using leapinlar's instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317500. They work well except when the kids get on the network together the devices appear to have the same ID, so the router appears to be assigning the same IP address to both of them. The result is the two kids can't be on at the same time. Anyone heard of anything like this before?

I don't remember for sure, but when I did the root and CM10.1.3 on emmc, I backed up one and then may have used that backup to do the 2nd tab. Would that cause this issue?

I don't have the devices with me right now, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll have them later to troubleshoot "hands on".

If you installed the backup to another device they will have the same MAC Address. The solution is to go to /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity and delete the wl1271-nvs.bin file. When it reboots it will rebuild that file with the correct MAC Address.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

jck_p

Dec 8, 2012
If you installed the backup to another device they will have the same MAC Address. The solution is to go to /system/etc/firmware/ti-connectivity and delete the wl1271-nvs.bin file. When it reboots it will rebuild that file with the correct MAC Address.

Hmmm. The unit won't let me delete or rename the file. I have root access activated & wifi turned off. Is there another perm I don't know about? Or perhaps I need to do it via my pc?

jck_p

Dec 8, 2012
Never mind. I got it. Had to change perms for File Manager from Safe mode to Root Access. Done and everything is fine. Thanks leapinlar!

Reactions: Technosquid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app
    Never mind. I got it. Had to change perms for File Manager from Safe mode to Root Access. Done and everything is fine. Thanks leapinlar!