[GUIDE] HOWTO: Install an International LG G2 D802 ROM on the T-Mobile LG G2 D801.

Search This thread

Sacrosaint

Feb 19, 2012
Standard disclaimer:

I do not guarantee that modifying your original software will not destroy your device. I do not promise to provide support to those with issues. However, this is a community and any kindness effort that you put into your inquiries and questions will likely be returned. Good luck.

Background:

As an owner of the T-Mobile D801, I realize the apparent lack of specially catered ROMs for the device. I will provide some background. It is possible to install all other G2 variant ROMs on the device, however many of these will bring with them issues. For example: ATT's (D800) extra microphone will break speaker phone on the D801, as well as cause other audio issues. Verizon's ROM is generally unstable due to the different hardware it employs. The Canadian versions, I have not tested myself, but so far have seen no Canadian-made ROMs that are better than the International counterparts.

The exception, of course, is the International variant: D802. As far as I've found, all functions on D802 ROMs work fine on the TMO D801 device. You'll just need to flash a D801 kernel over the D802 ROM.

This guide is not intended for the seasoned XDA warrior. It is simply aimed at the average D801 owner who's looking to flash some custom ROMs, only to find that he doesn't have the best selection among all the G2 variants.

Issues:

PAC ROM for D802 doesn't work using this method.

Data may not work initially due to bad settings. First, check to make sure that your APN Settings are correct. If your APN settings are all set and you're still having issues with LTE vs. UMTS/HSPA+, try changing your network mode to include LTE. Of note, a build of Vanir was having issues with data at the time of writing, so if you cannot fix your issue, try another ROM.

The only thing that I've not seen in custom ROMs based off of anything other than LG's D801 stock is WiFi calling. If you use WiFi calling, following this advice will take away that feature. To retain WiFi calling, you will need to stick to near stock. Please, if I am in error about this fact, PM me and let me know, or reply below.

Your device's build.prop will identify as a D802 from now on. You may choose to edit this back to D801. Either way, don't trust OTAs or device-specific quirks like open-recovery scripts. It's your job to be a little cautious, and avoid automation that could brick your device. Always have at least one NANDroid backup to return to.

How this works:

Very simply, the most device-specific aspect of these ROMs is the kernel (boot.img). It controls very base-level functions such as managing where boot pointers lead to and providing hardware control. G2 kernels do not mix-and-match from one device to the other. After installing a D802 ROM, you now have a completely incompatible D802 kernel. You must install a D801 kernel to fix that. Afterwards, everything generally seems to work fine. If you can find any issues, report back here.

HOWTO: Install an International LG G2 D802 ROM on the T-Mobile LG G2 D801 device.
Requirements:
  • You must have a custom recovery (like TWRP) installed.
  • As far as I've seen, you also need to be rooted (IOroot method) before installing a custom recovery on this device.

Instructions:
  1. Download the D802 ROM of your choice. [Warning: PAC ROM for D802 doesn't work]
  2. Download a kernel made for the D801.

For stability, you may use your stock kernel for LG ROMs (backing up/restoring just "boot" in recovery --> that's the kernel), or an AOSP-friendly stock, as built by Houstonn
    For features, Custom G2 is a great modified kernel. It includes a D801 version for both Stock LG-based ROMs, as well as AOSP-based ones.​
  3. Reboot into recovery.
  4. [Optional, but strongly recommended] Perform a NANDroid Backup, in case anything goes awry. Backup at least System, Boot, and Data.
  5. Perform a Factory Reset, then wipe cache & dalvik cache.
  6. Install the D802 ROM, including Gapps if needed. DO NOT REBOOT.
  7. Immediately install the D801 kernel.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Enjoy.*
  10. If you ever update your D802 ROM, through .zip or per-ROM OTA, you must always flash a D801 kernel afterwards.

Troubleshooting:

*It may take a while to get by your first boot. I've personally never had the first boot take longer than 2 minutes or so. If it takes upwards of 10 minutes, then try forcing a reboot by holding the power button. If the device still won't boot, something must have gone wrong. Reboot into recovery by holding the power button until the screen goes black, then hold Vol-Down & Power, and when the LG logo appears, release and re-press/hold this key combination. You will arrive at a screen offering a factory reset. Just press the power button twice, ignoring the warnings, and you will boot into recovery. Restore the NANDroid backup you made earlier.Your phone should boot now. You may attempt to try the whole thing again. Post the combo that gave you issues to this thread. Again, this has never happened to me when following the correct procedure. An issue I could see is attempting to use an AOSP-friendly kernel with an LG Stock-based ROM, or vice-versa.

If you are having issues with data, see the "Issues" section above for my recommendation: APN Settings.

-----------------------

I've been running D802 ROMs for weeks, without any abnormal issues, including CleanROM, Vanir AOSP, AOKP, and CM.

Last edited:

Sacrosaint

Feb 19, 2012
Which ROM works best for you? I'm about to try CM M1 for D802..

Works best? None. They are all rather stable.

Out of all the CM-based ROMs I tried for the G2, my personal preference turned out to be VanirAOSP. I like the default task chooser (AOKP uses an alternative), the features it kanged from other ROMs, such as the swipe-to-switch between quick toggles & notifications, the navigation bar settings (taken from AOKP), and more. Of course, all ROMs have their own little quirks and feels.

I personally don't need PIE or Halo, as I find that a higher DPI (400-440 instead of stock 480) and a smaller Nav Bar fix my screen real-estate issues. That's why I don't invest time into Paranoid Android. However, some people swear by Paranoid.

AOKP is great if for nothing other than their organization.
CM is wonderful because of its legacy.
SlimBean has a system-wide dark theme and some ICS-like features that some people love to hold onto.
VanirAOSP is newer and took a lot of the features I liked from AOKP and merged them with the stability of CM.

There are other options. Try going down different roads. You'll see what you like.
Altogether I'd sum up by saying that the cores are something like:
  • CM: stability and uniformity.
  • AOKP: throw a lot of features at the wall, see what sticks.
  • PA: radical earth-shattering features, which some may or may not like.
  • Others: Usually a combination of all of the above. Read the descriptions.

Also: new kid on the block is OmniROM. It looks like it'll be great, but as of yet isn't completely polished. I'm excited for their 4.4 release!

sweets55

May 25, 2009
Well I can confirm that the M1d802 cm ROM works with d801 kernel, seems like signal is a little weaker though!

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
What about sound quality? When I tried AOSP 801 Roms the sound seemed distorted at times and people on the other end seemed to notice a difference.

Sacrosaint

Feb 19, 2012
The radios/modems don't get overwritten with a flash, so that's strange that you'd have varying signal quality. I'm on WIND in Canada, so I can't really vouch as to how TMO's signal quality is on different ROMs. I've noticed, though, that my WIND experience has been pretty similar on everything except a D800 ROM, which really messed with loudness levels and quality, due to the microphone differences.

Effectively on a D800 ROM I had these issues:
-Earpiece is BLISTERING loud. Lowest volume, too loud for comfort. Highest volume, can hear from the next room.
-Generally quiet. I need to speak into the mic directly, lest I not be heard.
-Non-functioning speakerphone. I can hear the other end, but they can't hear me.

sweets55

May 25, 2009
So your back using a stock T-Mobile Rom now though? I'm fine with the Buckeye Rom but do miss flashing Roms like I did with the S4. Did you try the Omni Rom? What about MIUI? I kind of like to change things up. Thanks for the this thread I was wondering if this was possible.

Sacrosaint

Feb 19, 2012
So your back using a stock T-Mobile Rom now though? I'm fine with the Buckeye Rom but do miss flashing Roms like I did with the S4. Did you try the Omni Rom? What about MIUI? I kind of like to change things up. Thanks for the this thread I was wondering if this was possible.

Haha, you sound excited. I'm using a stock T-Mo ROM for the Camera app and the battery, but I am really just waiting for the 4.4 ROMs to roll in. I'm pretty certain that the OmniROM and MIUI will work fine, so make a backup and go try them!

Reactions: lesterf

slayer3032

May 23, 2013
You might also want to include more of a vanilla kernel in your guide, modified kernels are not for everyone and often go under heavy changes and development at anytime which often make them unstable. Houstonn has kernels built for all our devices, I'd suggest to recommend those as they are far more likely to have less issues than a modified kernel.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2502789

colbyrainey

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas City
THANK YOU

Thank you for figuring this out! I am flashing the latest CM 10.2 nightly (11/11) with Houstonn's AOSP kernel and will report back with any issues in this thread.

fishman0919

Sep 18, 2009
Providence, RI
Maybe it's time I start dev'ing again, let the endless downloading, installing and setup begin!

And I just cleaned everything up with a fresh install.

I hate you Android... I was so close to getting away... DAMM YOU!

Last edited:

sweets55

May 25, 2009
Flashed VanirAOSP 802 build. I was bit worried because it seemed to take longer to flash. Guess I flashed the wrong kernel since I have no data. WiFi works. I also can't figure out how to rearrange the nav buttons. I like the back button on the far right instead of left.

Sacrosaint

Feb 19, 2012
Flashed VanirAOSP 802 build. I was bit worried because it seemed to take longer to flash. Guess I flashed the wrong kernel since I have no data. WiFi works. I also can't figure out how to rearrange the nav buttons. I like the back button on the far right instead of left.

Vanir should have nav bar settings... But data is probably APN settings. Are you on TMO? See the documentation on TMO's site: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

Set up your APNs, report back. None functioning data would be pretty bad.

EDIT: also kernel should not really affect data. If your signal is working but without data, it is almost always missing APN settings :) and sorry about the formatting on this reply... This is from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
Reactions: sweets55

bodom_hc

Oct 11, 2012
Los Angeles

I flashed vanir and no data, set correct APN, Change network type by dialing *#*#4636*#*# to LTE/GSM not LTE GSM WCDMA

i had to change networks like 3 or 4 times til data kicked in :D

Working solid now

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

I flashed the official PAC man rom and flashed wootevers custom kernel and it never booted
stuck on animation screen, can anyone confirm OFFICIAL PAC working with WOOTEVERS CUSTOM KERNEL ?

sweets55

May 25, 2009
I got data working but keeps bouncing around 3G and H+. What kernel should I be using. Thanks guys.

ska8tdude

Mar 21, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I got data working but keeps bouncing around 3G and H+. What kernel should I be using. Thanks guys.

I'm getting the same problem on the CM 10.2 ROM. I can't get it to connect to 4G or LTE. I've changed my APN and set the connection type to LTE and still nothing. It was doing the same thing on Vanir as well, any ideas?

sweets55

May 25, 2009
I'm getting the same problem on the CM 10.2 ROM. I can't get it to connect to 4G or LTE. I've changed my APN and set the connection type to LTE and still nothing. It was doing the same thing on Vanir as well, any ideas?
I changed the APN to fast.T-Mobile.com but didn't help. Have no idea. Sorry.

sweets55

May 25, 2009
Forgot this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384281561438.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384281561438.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 537

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Standard disclaimer:

I do not guarantee that modifying your original software will not destroy your device. I do not promise to provide support to those with issues. However, this is a community and any kindness effort that you put into your inquiries and questions will likely be returned. Good luck.

Background:

As an owner of the T-Mobile D801, I realize the apparent lack of specially catered ROMs for the device. I will provide some background. It is possible to install all other G2 variant ROMs on the device, however many of these will bring with them issues. For example: ATT's (D800) extra microphone will break speaker phone on the D801, as well as cause other audio issues. Verizon's ROM is generally unstable due to the different hardware it employs. The Canadian versions, I have not tested myself, but so far have seen no Canadian-made ROMs that are better than the International counterparts.

The exception, of course, is the International variant: D802. As far as I've found, all functions on D802 ROMs work fine on the TMO D801 device. You'll just need to flash a D801 kernel over the D802 ROM.

This guide is not intended for the seasoned XDA warrior. It is simply aimed at the average D801 owner who's looking to flash some custom ROMs, only to find that he doesn't have the best selection among all the G2 variants.

Issues:

PAC ROM for D802 doesn't work using this method.

Data may not work initially due to bad settings. First, check to make sure that your APN Settings are correct. If your APN settings are all set and you're still having issues with LTE vs. UMTS/HSPA+, try changing your network mode to include LTE. Of note, a build of Vanir was having issues with data at the time of writing, so if you cannot fix your issue, try another ROM.

The only thing that I've not seen in custom ROMs based off of anything other than LG's D801 stock is WiFi calling. If you use WiFi calling, following this advice will take away that feature. To retain WiFi calling, you will need to stick to near stock. Please, if I am in error about this fact, PM me and let me know, or reply below.

Your device's build.prop will identify as a D802 from now on. You may choose to edit this back to D801. Either way, don't trust OTAs or device-specific quirks like open-recovery scripts. It's your job to be a little cautious, and avoid automation that could brick your device. Always have at least one NANDroid backup to return to.

How this works:

Very simply, the most device-specific aspect of these ROMs is the kernel (boot.img). It controls very base-level functions such as managing where boot pointers lead to and providing hardware control. G2 kernels do not mix-and-match from one device to the other. After installing a D802 ROM, you now have a completely incompatible D802 kernel. You must install a D801 kernel to fix that. Afterwards, everything generally seems to work fine. If you can find any issues, report back here.

HOWTO: Install an International LG G2 D802 ROM on the T-Mobile LG G2 D801 device.
    Requirements:
    • You must have a custom recovery (like TWRP) installed.
    • As far as I've seen, you also need to be rooted (IOroot method) before installing a custom recovery on this device.

Instructions:
    1. Download the D802 ROM of your choice. [Warning: PAC ROM for D802 doesn't work]
    2. Download a kernel made for the D801.

For stability, you may use your stock kernel for LG ROMs (backing up/restoring just "boot" in recovery --> that's the kernel), or an AOSP-friendly stock, as built by Houstonn
      For features, Custom G2 is a great modified kernel. It includes a D801 version for both Stock LG-based ROMs, as well as AOSP-based ones.​
    3. Reboot into recovery.
    4. [Optional, but strongly recommended] Perform a NANDroid Backup, in case anything goes awry. Backup at least System, Boot, and Data.
    5. Perform a Factory Reset, then wipe cache & dalvik cache.
    6. Install the D802 ROM, including Gapps if needed. DO NOT REBOOT.
    7. Immediately install the D801 kernel.
    8. Reboot.
    9. Enjoy.*
    10. If you ever update your D802 ROM, through .zip or per-ROM OTA, you must always flash a D801 kernel afterwards.

Troubleshooting:

*It may take a while to get by your first boot. I've personally never had the first boot take longer than 2 minutes or so. If it takes upwards of 10 minutes, then try forcing a reboot by holding the power button. If the device still won't boot, something must have gone wrong. Reboot into recovery by holding the power button until the screen goes black, then hold Vol-Down & Power, and when the LG logo appears, release and re-press/hold this key combination. You will arrive at a screen offering a factory reset. Just press the power button twice, ignoring the warnings, and you will boot into recovery. Restore the NANDroid backup you made earlier.Your phone should boot now. You may attempt to try the whole thing again. Post the combo that gave you issues to this thread. Again, this has never happened to me when following the correct procedure. An issue I could see is attempting to use an AOSP-friendly kernel with an LG Stock-based ROM, or vice-versa.

If you are having issues with data, see the "Issues" section above for my recommendation: APN Settings.

-----------------------

I've been running D802 ROMs for weeks, without any abnormal issues, including CleanROM, Vanir AOSP, AOKP, and CM.
    Here's the "LG-D2_D80110c_stock-kernel".

Unrar and place in your "\Internal storage\TWRP\BACKUPS\#######\LG-D2_D80110c_stock-kernel" folder on your phone.

Use only TWRP to Restore after you install your choice of D-802 4.22 rom

If you are not sure what this is or how to do this.... DON"T

Download LINK

EDIT: yea I messed up on the on the name "LG-D2"

EDIT: My first LG G2 test rom with most system apks tweaked.

Which ROM works best for you? I'm about to try CM M1 for D802..

Works best? None. They are all rather stable.

Out of all the CM-based ROMs I tried for the G2, my personal preference turned out to be VanirAOSP. I like the default task chooser (AOKP uses an alternative), the features it kanged from other ROMs, such as the swipe-to-switch between quick toggles & notifications, the navigation bar settings (taken from AOKP), and more. Of course, all ROMs have their own little quirks and feels.

I personally don't need PIE or Halo, as I find that a higher DPI (400-440 instead of stock 480) and a smaller Nav Bar fix my screen real-estate issues. That's why I don't invest time into Paranoid Android. However, some people swear by Paranoid.

AOKP is great if for nothing other than their organization.
    CM is wonderful because of its legacy.
    SlimBean has a system-wide dark theme and some ICS-like features that some people love to hold onto.
    VanirAOSP is newer and took a lot of the features I liked from AOKP and merged them with the stability of CM.

There are other options. Try going down different roads. You'll see what you like.
    Altogether I'd sum up by saying that the cores are something like:
    • CM: stability and uniformity.
    • AOKP: throw a lot of features at the wall, see what sticks.
    • PA: radical earth-shattering features, which some may or may not like.
    • Others: Usually a combination of all of the above. Read the descriptions.

Also: new kid on the block is OmniROM. It looks like it'll be great, but as of yet isn't completely polished. I'm excited for their 4.4 release!
    Awesome D802 Rom on D801!

I'm using D802 Rom [ROM][4.2.2][D802-10F] Spiderio 380dpi v1.3f update [Wider Better][08/02/2014]

Custom D801 Kernel [STOCK Kernel 3.4.78][05 FEB] Dorimanx 2.2 LG G2 800/1/2/3/5/6 LS/VS980

This Rom is AMAZING & FAST!!!
    The 380dpi looks freaking AWESOME on our beautiful LG G2 screen!

INSTALL NOTES
    • Toggle on & change APN settings for T-Mobile LTE
    • Toggle data if you're having initial data connection issues
    1. Settings
    2. Networks
    3. Tethering & networks
    4. Mobile networks
    5. Access point names
    6. Select T-Mobile GPRS
    7. Click T-Mobile GPRS & under APN change epc.tmobile.com to fast.t-mobile.com & click OK
    8. Save
    Just so everybody is aware, official support for D801 should be coming very soon, as per http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54240/.

Once that patch is merged along with the props for D801 being added to The Muppets, nightly's should begin shortly thereafter..