[GUIDE] Proper FULL wipe

Search This thread

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
I know this is not a development thread but I must insist we have something like this in this area. I would ask a mod to keep this sticky or maybe link to it from another sticky thread. I feel it's important to all development for accurate results and debug information.

I see this all the time. People think they are fully wiping when a developer asks for it. I believe that some people still don't understand what a full wipe is because there is no such single option in ClockWorkMod Recovery. Most likely the reason for that is because Koush didn't want too many posts about "I'm stuck on Google logo" or "my phone won't boot". So here is a test you can do yourself: Backup your ROM of course, and then do a full wipe. Then don't install anything and just reboot. If you end up pass the Google logo and onto the boot loop screen, then what you think is a full wipe is incorrect. If you are stuck on the Google logo and nothing is happening however, then congratulations... you know what you're doing :)

For the rest of you, here are proper steps to fully wipe without leaving any trace of ROM on your phone:

• wipe data/factory reset
  • format /system
  • format /boot

Now most people think that the first option is enough. That may often be the case but because the developer can drastically change the contents of the /system folder, things can get messed up if you don't format it. And guess what, that first option will not do it. Wipe data/factory reset only wipes the /data folder which contains your personal settings and all the apps you installed. The ROM is then left blank as if you just flashed it and you can start over. FYI, the format of boot partition simply wipes the boot animation and you can restore it using the advance option in recovery from ROM to another.

I've seen some zip files which do this automatically so that's fine but at least you know what needs to be done to fully wipe.

There you go. I hope this clears some things. Now lets flash some ROMs! :D

Last edited:

lbcary

Jan 6, 2010
Omaha
I follow the above wipe method for my Epic Touch 4G,SGSII, with the exception of flashing Calkulins Format All.zip at the very end and i havent experienced any issues yet. Hope i didnt just jinx myself...

kdepro

Oct 5, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Isn't the dalvik cache stored in the /data partition?

Hence, factory reset necessarily wipes dalvik but wipe dalvik only wipes the dalvik portion of the data partition?

Sent from my Sammy Nexus 4G using XDA App

Reactions: jesusice

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Isn't the dalvik cache stored in the /data partition?

Hence, factory reset necessarily wipes dalvik but wipe dalvik only wipes the dalvik portion of the data partition?

Sent from my Sammy Nexus 4G using XDA App

Yeah. Forgot that its the case. Op edited. Only 3 steps now.

VeryCoolAlan

May 17, 2009
Hi I really like your thread!
Can I post a similar thread on the Vibrant forum? I'll give you credit!

Sent from my Surround.

vinconti

Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone know the edify syntax off the top of their head to properly accomplish this? most of my attempts haven't seemed to work. would they all be formatted EMMC, even SDcard and system?

felixmulia

Dec 18, 2011
really2 good post man.. i've flash rom with full wipe as u said.. thanks a lot dude..

oICSv43 - *Matri1x* v13.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is not a development thread but I must insist we have something like this in this area. I would ask a mod to keep this sticky or maybe link to it from another sticky thread. I feel it's important to all development for accurate results and debug information.

I see this all the time. People think they are fully wiping when a developer asks for it. I believe that some people still don't understand what a full wipe is because there is no such single option in ClockWorkMod Recovery. Most likely the reason for that is because Koush didn't want too many posts about "I'm stuck on Google logo" or "my phone won't boot". So here is a test you can do yourself: Backup your ROM of course, and then do a full wipe. Then don't install anything and just reboot. If you end up pass the Google logo and onto the boot loop screen, then what you think is a full wipe is incorrect. If you are stuck on the Google logo and nothing is happening however, then congratulations... you know what you're doing :)

For the rest of you, here are proper steps to fully wipe without leaving any trace of ROM on your phone:

• wipe data/factory reset
    • format /system
    • format /boot

Now most people think that the first option is enough. That may often be the case but because the developer can drastically change the contents of the /system folder, things can get messed up if you don't format it. And guess what, that first option will not do it. Wipe data/factory reset only wipes the /data folder which contains your personal settings and all the apps you installed. The ROM is then left blank as if you just flashed it and you can start over. FYI, the format of boot partition simply wipes the boot animation and you can restore it using the advance option in recovery from ROM to another.

I've seen some zip files which do this automatically so that's fine but at least you know what needs to be done to fully wipe.

There you go. I hope this clears some things. Now lets flash some ROMs! :D
    How do you format /system and /boot? I'm using TWRP recovery 2.3.3.0

In TWRP 2.3.3

Dalvik, Factory Reset (includes Data, Cache), System, Android Secure
    :cyclops:
    all we need is a zip that does all of that and were good!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App
    Sticky please!
    Proper way with TWRP

http://teamw.in/whattowipe

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app