I got Whatsapp workin' on my WiFi Tab, I guess?!

Search This thread

jorisvdende

Aug 29, 2009
Arnhem
Hi all,

Since I was (very) disappointed that Whatsapp couldn't be used on my Tab (10.1 WiFi), I couldn't stop thinking about how to get this thing working after all. This morning I had a brainwave, but didn't think too much about it, since I guessed I couldn't be the first one thinking about this?! But after searching the forum this afternoon, I actually couldn't find any post mentioning what I just did. But I must admit, my search-qualities may lack (as does my English)... :eek: So sorry if this is already well known / spoken of.

I couldn't get Whatsapp installed on my SGT the normal way(s), so what I now did was Titanium Backup Whatsapp on my Phone (where I was already using it), copy that Titanium Backup files into the Titanium Backup folder on my SGT and then restored that App+Data for Whatsapp on my SGT.

Now it did install on my SGT and when I sent a message to someone, it arrives immediately! :D

Only thing is the message history on my Tab+Phone isn't synced (of course) and if someone sends me a message it only arrives on my Tab. It arrives on my phone again as soon as I power down my Tab (or when I would kill the Whatsapp app that's running in the background on my Tab I guess).

Again, I'm sorry if someone mentioned this before. I hope this information can be of use for some of us!

Last edited:

kingpinda

Oct 13, 2008
Zevenaar
Lol dude,

Hehe it seems i was mistaken. Apologies and tell your girlfriend that yous arse a smart dude :)

Now tell me how this will work for my ipad ^_^

04deveni

Aug 7, 2010
Awesome idea! Now if only someone could figure out how to get SMS from my phone onto the tab, that would be dope!

phonecurious

Aug 31, 2010
Richmond Hill
Hi all,

Since I was (very) disappointed that Whatsapp couldn't be used on my Tab (10.1 WiFi), I couldn't stop thinking about how to get this thing working after all. This morning I had a brainwave, but didn't think too much about it, since I guessed I couldn't be the first one thinking about this?! But after searching the forum this afternoon, I actually couldn't find any post mentioning what I just did. But I must admit, my search-qualities may lack (as does my English)... :eek: So sorry if this is already well known / spoken of.

I couldn't get Whatsapp installed on my SGT the normal way(s), so what I now did was Titanium Backup Whatsapp on my Phone (where I was already using it), copy that Titanium Backup files into the Titanium Backup folder on my SGT and then restored that App+Data for Whatsapp on my SGT.

Now it did install on my SGT and when I sent a message to someone, it arrives immediately! :D

Only thing is the message history on my Tab+Phone isn't synced (of course) and if someone sends me a message it only arrives on my Tab. It arrives on my phone again as soon as I power down my Tab (or when I would kill the Whatsapp app that's running in the background on my Tab I guess).

Again, I'm sorry if someone mentioned this before. I hope this information can be of use for some of us!

When i try to restore from my back up files, do i first have to install whatsapp on my tab and then restore? Sorry i may sound dumb :)

OK Figured out thanks and it works ,

Last edited:

biker972

May 12, 2010
Well, something isn't clear...as I know whatsapp can only work on one device (with the same number), I tried to install it on my tab, but when I start it, it kills whatsapp on my iPhone.

Also I have another problem, installed whatsapp on my tab, and registered it with another number, but I don't have any contact imported...contacts are synchronized with gmail account...anyone knows a solution for this?

MagicOnline

Jul 22, 2010
hey joris, did this backup/restore thing a week ago on my tab. whatsapp works on my tab too, but i first get messages on my phone none on the tab. i admit that i have never sent a msg from my tab as for now.
but its working - main objective reached :D

jorisvdende

Aug 29, 2009
Arnhem
When WA is running in the background of your phone, the messages won't get to your Tab. That's right. If you kill WA on your phone and then start WA on your Tab, the message will come through.
It's a shame messages won't sync between the two devices though...

Sent from my HTC HD2

phonecurious

Aug 31, 2010
Richmond Hill
Well, something isn't clear...as I know whatsapp can only work on one device (with the same number), I tried to install it on my tab, but when I start it, it kills whatsapp on my iPhone.

Also I have another problem, installed whatsapp on my tab, and registered it with another number, but I don't have any contact imported...contacts are synchronized with gmail account...anyone knows a solution for this?

The reason it works on android tablet is same back up is restored from android phone to android tablet, so WA assumes its the same device, its a different situation with iphone because you can not do as did with android phone and tab combination

gonzule

Aug 17, 2010
Melbourne
i think the solution so "synchronize" the messages is to use another phone number to register the tabs whatsapp backup (backup from a phone with a different number and restore on the tab) and keep all conversations in a group chat.

For example, if i use whatsapp to talk to my girlfriend, i will start a whatass group chat, add my girlfirend and my galaxy tab whatass number, so "the 3 of us" can communicate. Its like having a threesome i guess.

Giblet-dono

Mar 24, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus Nord
I got it working through another method..
But just nativly installing whatsapp, after using a certain modem.bin

It also enabled text messaging on the tab..

Btw..
Everyone should try JaxtrSMS, this sends messages through internet which the receiver will receive as a normal text message
I got the modem file from the forum here but I don't know where exactly..
Ill attach it here for now, flash through ODIN..
First unpack it with winrar or anything..
i have been using this with my Galaxy tab 3G GT-p7500
I'm using a custom 3.2 rom with Riego kernel
texting & whatsapp work bot, as does JaxtrSMS

If this helped you please use the Thanks button

Attachments

• modem.rar
    3.9 MB · Views: 143

Willy318is

Sep 22, 2004
Pasadena
Always Download the Latest version through the WhatsApp website, forget about the Android Market - even if you can find it - .

This solves the Contacts NAMES problem, Tried!

john_jaysee

Dec 15, 2011
Whatsapp on Galaxy Tab 10.1

I am really new to this, I have just recently purchase a Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi only (model : GT-P7510) using build Android version 3.1

I have downloaded the .apk file and try to install it on my Galaxy Tab, I am able to successfuly install the file but I am not able to run the application, getting error "We can't identify your device. Please turn off the phone, take out the battery, restart it and try it again. (Note: tablets are currently not supported).

I can see the previous posting suggested using Titanium BackUp for Whatsapp and transfering to the phone, (if i am not mistaken, that will means rooting the phone, is there any option that doesn't require rooting the phone?)

Please advise, what can I do to use Whatsapp on my Galaxy Tab 10.1

Many Thanks in advance.

- To regret one's own experiences is to arrest one's own development. To deny one's own experiences is to put a lie into the lips of one's own life.

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
I dont use the App but I read your method and I must say it is pretty creative solution. It probably would work for most apps that arent compatible with the tab and your phone (and perhaps vice versa)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

This worked for me, 2 different numbers. Dont need root either.

[HOWTO] Install Whatsapp working On Nexus 7! [1/03/13]

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2061176
    text from tab

Awesome idea! Now if only someone could figure out how to get SMS from my phone onto the tab, that would be dope!

Try Mightytext, its a free app from the play store. Two apps, one for your phone and one for the tab.

I have this installed on my S3, Tab 10.1 & Chromebook and works great on them all. Texts come through instantly.

Chromebook version is available for Google chrome from the chrome store.