I rooted when I got the phone and want to upgrade to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2

Search This thread

Patrickq1236

Apr 20, 2014
I have the 4.2.2 rooted, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.4.2, is it really as simple as just getting a 4.4.2 ROM? or are there any other things I need? I'm sorry I'm pretty new when it comes to android stuff, it scares me really the thought of accidentally getting a $700 paperweight.

other information:
baseband version is M919UVUAMDL
kernel version is 3.4.0-453951 se.infra@SEP-133#1
build # is JDQ39.M919UVUMADL

OK so an update. I guess I literally don't have any idea what I'm doing, I just spent about 2 hours reading around here and honestly couldn't find a single guide or even where to start on how to do this, install a custom rom or anything. I seriously regret rooting and wish I could just do this OTA...... the root benefits do not outweigh what i'm expected to know to upgrade now :(

Last edited:

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
I have the 4.2.2 rooted, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.4.2, is it really as simple as just getting a 4.4.2 ROM? or are there any other things I need? I'm sorry I'm pretty new when it comes to android stuff, it scares me really the thought of accidentally getting a $700 paperweight.

other information:

OK so an update. I guess I literally don't have any idea what I'm doing, I just spent about 2 hours reading around here and honestly couldn't find a single guide or even where to start on how to do this, install a custom rom or anything. I seriously regret rooting and wish I could just do this OTA...... the root benefits do not outweigh what i'm expected to know to upgrade now :(
Hello friend, do not be discouraged. Do you have access to a PC? I sure hope so. First things first, download the latest version of TWRP recovery, it's great. Flash it via ODIN in the PDA slot. Okay now you have a good new recovery, now you need the latest baseband. What you need to do is download the NB4 baseband before you do anything as far as getting a ROM. There are tutorials in the general section of the T-Mobile s4. You're going to download the modem, flash it via ODIN by extracting the zip and placing it into the phone slot of odin(the tutorials are way better at the steps then I am) then flashing, and then you'll be on the newest baseband(modem). Then you need to find yourself a ROM. Thess can be found in the Android development section of the T-Mobile s4. I personally recommend Insane Kitkat. But find one that you like... I hope this helped friend. Let me know. :)

Edit: if you're not sure how to get to any of these things, Google them! Google NB4 modem T-Mobile s4, Google TWRP T-Mobile s4.. Etc.. It's easy!

Edit edit: here friend, links

http://odindownload.com
This is Odin

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/179

Scroll down to the part where it says download the latest odin flashable TAR This is the latest version of TWRP

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2678774

[MDL Bootloader Only!] How to flash 4.4.2 NB4 Modem

This is the step by step tutorial to flash the modem. It has link for downloading modem and odin. Be sure to follow EVERY STEP exactly

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2683507

[ROM] Insane Kit Kat[TW- NB4][AROM

Here's the ROM

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrickq1236

Patrickq1236

Apr 20, 2014
So I JUST did the NB4 thing you linked and it worked fine, I already downoaded the insane rom, it looked cool.
I guess my next question is, what exactly do I do to install the rom?

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
So I JUST did the NB4 thing you linked and it worked fine, I already downoaded the insane rom, it looked cool.

Alright so you've got nb4 modem and twrp recovery now? Did you make sure nb4 stayed? Is it in your phone info? The baseband should end in NB4 now. We'll once you have the ROM, place it on your external sd card then boot into recovery by turning off your phone. Now hold the volume up key + Power until the device boots into Samsung logo and you'll see blue letters at top left, let go of buttons at that point. You'll see TWRP image then you're in your recovery. Now you're gonna go to advanced option or whenever the advanced wiping option is located. Wipe system, internal, etc. Wipe everything EXCEPT external SD card and the last option, don't wipe external because that's where the ROM is. Now, go back to home of the TWRP, DO NOT REBOOT. Now click install, navigate to your external sd card and find the ROM. Select it and it select full install. You're given a bunch of different options as to what you want added. After it installs, reboot and you're good to go. Thess instructions can be found on the page where you got the ROM. He tells you to do a full wipe, etc. Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: Patrickq1236

Patrickq1236

Apr 20, 2014
Alright so you've got nb4 modem and twrp recovery now? Did you make sure nb4 stayed? Is it in your phone info? The baseband should end in NB4 now. We'll once you have the ROM, place it on your external sd card then boot into recovery by turning off your phone. Now hold the volume up key + Power until the device boots into Samsung logo and you'll see blue letters at top left, let go of buttons at that point. You'll see TWRP image then you're in your recovery. Now you're gonna go to advanced option or whenever the advanced wiping option is located. Wipe system, internal, etc. Wipe everything EXCEPT external SD card and the last option, don't wipe external because that's where the ROM is. Now, go back to home of the TWRP, DO NOT REBOOT. Now click install, navigate to your external sd card and find the ROM. Select it and it select full install. You're given a bunch of different options as to what you want added. After it installs, reboot and you're good to go. Thess instructions can be found on the page where you got the ROM. He tells you to do a full wipe, etc. Let me know how it goes.

soooooooo yeah. I did that. moved the zip over to the SD card, booted into recovery mode, wiped, went back to install and now I can't find the zip. i know it's there because I double checked to make sure it was moved. it would help if TWRP wasn't so picky and chooses the FIRST thing i come close to tapping. I think I just screwed up :(

So I think I just found it, it was way at the bottom, and I like I said I couln't move anything without going somewhere else, almost always.

Last edited:

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
soooooooo yeah. I did that. moved the zip over to the SD card, booted into recovery mode, wiped, went back to install and now I can't find the zip. i know it's there because I double checked to make sure it was moved. it would help if TWRP wasn't so picky and chooses the FIRST thing i come close to tapping. I think I just screwed up :(

So I think I just found it, it was way at the bottom, and I like I said I couln't move anything without going somewhere else, almost always.

I'm confused friend. So you moved it to your external sd card? And when you went into the install option in TWRP you made sure you were in the external sd card section? At the top it says internal by default every time and you have to tap it then navigate to external then find your file. Easiest way is to make a folder on external called "ROM" place it in there, then go into recovery and flash. What do you mean by TWRP being picky?

Patrickq1236

Apr 20, 2014
I'm confused friend. So you moved it to your external sd card? And when you went into the install option in TWRP you made sure you were in the external sd card section? At the top it says internal by default every time and you have to tap it then navigate to external then find your file. Easiest way is to make a folder on external called "ROM" place it in there, then go into recovery and flash. What do you mean by TWRP being picky?

I got it now, and the phone is working fine, thank goodness lol. But what i meant was as soon as I would try to scroll no matter where I taped to start scrolling it wouldn't give me the chance to move my finger, it wouldn't even recognize that I even tried to move, it would just go

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
I got it now, and the phone is working fine, thank goodness lol. But what i meant was as soon as I would try to scroll no matter where I taped to start scrolling it wouldn't give me the chance to move my finger, it wouldn't even recognize that I even tried to move, it would just go

Well, glad to hear that your device is now working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

other information:

Hello friend, do not be discouraged. Do you have access to a PC? I sure hope so. First things first, download the latest version of TWRP recovery, it's great. Flash it via ODIN in the PDA slot. Okay now you have a good new recovery, now you need the latest baseband. What you need to do is download the NB4 baseband before you do anything as far as getting a ROM. There are tutorials in the general section of the T-Mobile s4. You're going to download the modem, flash it via ODIN by extracting the zip and placing it into the phone slot of odin(the tutorials are way better at the steps then I am) then flashing, and then you'll be on the newest baseband(modem). Then you need to find yourself a ROM. Thess can be found in the Android development section of the T-Mobile s4. I personally recommend Insane Kitkat. But find one that you like... I hope this helped friend. Let me know. :)

Edit: if you're not sure how to get to any of these things, Google them! Google NB4 modem T-Mobile s4, Google TWRP T-Mobile s4.. Etc.. It's easy!

Edit edit: here friend, links

http://odindownload.com
    This is Odin

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/179

Scroll down to the part where it says download the latest odin flashable TAR This is the latest version of TWRP

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2678774

[MDL Bootloader Only!] How to flash 4.4.2 NB4 Modem

This is the step by step tutorial to flash the modem. It has link for downloading modem and odin. Be sure to follow EVERY STEP exactly

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2683507

[ROM] Insane Kit Kat[TW- NB4][AROM

Here's the ROM