Hey guys, im a bit new to this phone. Any help or tips?

Search This thread

eisawi99

Nov 3, 2012
Irving, TX
OnePlus 9 Pro
So i got this phone yesterday, and i came from my old Galaxy S3. I am used to rooting and installing custom ROMs on that device and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of with this phone. I do plan on rooting it in about 2 weeks depending on how I feel about touchwiz then, but for now i would like any information about possible brickings due to knox. thank you.

j00manji

May 30, 2011
DO NOT USE Kingo root. - I wish I saw that earlier

I tried to use it. ended up failing. Then I followed qbking77s' instructions which also did not work out well for me. I bricked my note 3 and tripped knox on the first day I got the thing lol.
Thankfully I was able to find an odin-flashable to push over to my device and everything is ok. still gotta root the damn thing tho.

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
Number 1 Rule!!!/ General tips

1.) Heres the big thing about the note 3.
You cannot revert (odin flash) back to previous builds of the note 3, it will soft-brick (maybe even hard-brick) your phone.
Meaning if you are on NC5 its not a good idea to dowgrade back to NAB. This is a smaller jump but ive read of issues. Though NEVER try to odin from kit-kat to Mj4 jellybean. They have different incompatible bootloaders, and it will brick. So ya no downgrading.. Unless you really feel comfortable with "engineering boot loaders" But currently the newest build is "NC5"

2.) think the most convenient root method is to..
-put chainfire's UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip onto sd card
http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU

-odin twrp 2.7.01.tar, (found in original development) or link
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/201

-immediately boot into twrp (Home+Power+Volume Up) and flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
reboot
Now rooted with twrp recovery to flash new roms

3. Just another warning. Factory reseting with STOCK recovery for this device wipes internal sd card.

Edit/Add on: About knox: Dont worry too much about it. Once your rooted on stock rom, it will probably prompt to attempt to disable knox. just hit okay and thats probably the last you hear about knox. When you flash a new rom the rom devs have it disabled so it never prompts. But ya knox isnt really much of anything but a counter in download mode. Yes it cant be reset, but thats about the only thing that cant. You can still be fully unrooted, with official status. You probably wont have any problems with sprint. Theyd have to check download mode for the 0x1, and they would have to know what that means too lol. And you definitely wont have problems if you have sprint warranty.

Hope that helps good luck, I love this phone! :D

Last edited:

jimzweb1

Nov 13, 2010
You cannot revert (odin flash) back to previous builds of the note 3, it will soft-brick (maybe even hard-brick) your phone.
Meaning if you are on NC5 its not a good idea to dowgrade back to NAB. This is a smaller jump but ive read of issues. Though NEVER try to odin from kit-kat to Mj4 jellybean. They have different incompatible bootloaders, and it will brick. So ya no downgrading.. Unless you really feel comfortable with "engineering boot loaders" But currently the newest build is "NC5"

-immediately boot into twrp (Home+Power+Volume Up) and flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
reboot

3. Just another warning. Factory reseting with STOCK recovery for this device wipes internal sd card.

Edit/Add on: About knox: Dont worry too much about it. Once your rooted on stock rom, it will probably prompt to attempt to disable knox. just hit okay and thats probably the last you hear about knox. When you flash a new rom the rom devs have it disabled so it never prompts. But ya knox isnt really much of anything but a counter in download mode. Yes it cant be reset, but thats about the only thing that cant. You can still be fully unrooted, with official status. You probably wont have any problems with sprint. Theyd have to check download mode for the 0x1, and they would have to know what that means too lol. And you definitely wont have problems if you have sprint warranty.

I 2nd what CollinsB says, SuperSu v1.94 best way to go to root your note 3. You also might look into Philz CWM recovery. As for KNOX and your warranty don't worry sprint and Samsung have not turned down a warranty fix that I'm aware of. Besides, They have already figured out a way to reset KNOX on the Exynos processor its only a matter of time before they solve KNOX for the Qualcomm processor.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

One of the best things you can do, is disable touchwiz!!!!! Install the nova launcher, better, faster, and more features. Enough said!!!!

Reactions: CollinsB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

reboot

I 2nd what CollinsB says, SuperSu v1.94 best way to go to root your note 3. You also might look into Philz CWM recovery. As for KNOX and your warranty don't worry sprint and Samsung have not turned down a warranty fix that I'm aware of. Besides, They have already figured out a way to reset KNOX on the Exynos processor its only a matter of time before they solve KNOX for the Qualcomm processor.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

One of the best things you can do, is disable touchwiz!!!!! Install the nova launcher, better, faster, and more features. Enough said!!!!