Wireless Charging Orb Slipping?

Search This thread

quentin0

Jul 1, 2011
This is false. I have a Lumia 920 and the charging plate. There is no magnetic pull when charging either my Lumia or nexus 4 on the plate. In fact, the nexus 4 is rather slippery when it's on the plate. If put on off center it would slip off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What are you even talking about? What did that have to do my comment at all? How does your Nexus 4 sliding off of your charging plate mean that the orb has magnets?

oldsk00lz

Nov 14, 2008
Okay, here's my experience.

Day 1 was like the posts where it works great. Super sticky, would pull the base when lifting the phone.
Day 2 still worked like a charm. No idea of any issues.
Day 3 charged phone, and then grabbed phone much later, and surprised I was 1/2 full. Didn't think much of it.
Day 4 morning, phone had stopped charging Reset device, and was charging. 30 min later it stopped.

After which, I saw this thread, and the sliding issue. I grabbed orb, and lo and behold. My phone was slipping. I did not have the awesome suction of the 1st day. If my phone slips to the 1/2 way point, it stops charging (before hitting desk). It now slips faster, and has less grip. Also slips when horizontal.

I may try a full battery drain, and full proper USB charge. See if it changes anything.

I was happy the first 2 days. :/

Hmmmmmm....

-oldsk00lz

reddv1

Sep 16, 2009
Torrance, CA
Here's the ridiculous reply from Google for a warranty exchange I requested and here's a video I made that I also provided to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcH73OlH_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately I can't issue you a replacement for the broken charger because it is accidental damage which is not covered under the warranty of the Nexus 4

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reply to this email and I would be happy to help you with any other issues you have for me.

Thanks,

Cole
The Google Play Support Team

nba1341

Feb 13, 2011
San Bernardino, California
Here's the ridiculous reply from Google for a warranty exchange I requested and here's a video I made that I also provided to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcH73OlH_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lol.... how could "Cole" possibly get the idea the orb was accidentally damaged from a time lapse video?

google customer service -_-

Why would they make the orb such a steep incline then expect sticky material not to naturally get dust on it. Seems like they don't even bother testing these things.

JustMatt

Jul 13, 2012
San Francisco, CA
enter-key.net
My Nexus 4 slips off the Orb also.
I'm not using any case, and I'll just set it there at night, but by the time I wake up it's been discharging almost the entire night.

The first time I unpackaged it, there did seem to be a magnetic "stick" to it. I was able to put the phone on it, and practically hold it sideways without it moving at all. Now if I tilt it, the phone falls off. I'd like to see if anyone else here successfully gets a replacement from Google, or is all hope lost on this thing?

I'm still within 15 days, so I might just refund it, if it appears to be a problem for everyone else.

idividebyzero

May 28, 2011
I knew this would happen, the glass is too slick for this stupid implementation. Yours is probably a little dirty, if its not medically sterile then it probably wont stick for long periods. I got an RMA phone recently and didnt take the plastic cover off the back this time, so it sticks like glue for now, if I use the front of the phone its not nearly as sticky.

and no it doesnt have magnets....

The sites that say it does are referencing a prototype version long before the Nexus 4 even came out.

Put a piece of paper/plastic over the charger and see if theres any hold. There isnt. Take it a step further and get a MAGNET and try, nothing, not even any metal for the magnet to hold on to.

RMA's arent going to do anything, the design is flawed. Although it wont hurt to RMA since it means more wasted money for Google, the only thing that will get them to change the stupid design is wasted money. So RMA away.

Last edited:

feedhead

Dec 18, 2009
Sioux Falls
Clearly you don't understand inductive charging. The coil in the charger creates a magnetic field, which induces a current in the coil in the phone. Even if charger does not contain a permanent ferromagnet, or the phone; the two coils still become magnetic because of the current in the coils. Don't call people idiots when you are ignorant yourself. It may not be a significant force, but it is non-zero.

Ok kids, lets do a little test.
Grab Android Sensor Box from the Play store.
Fire up the Magnetic Senors.
You will see the world around you registers around 50ish μT (microTesla)
Grab a magnet and put it on/near the back of the phone and see how the levels climb.
Now for the fun sciencey part.
Put the phone on the Orb and make sure it is charging.
Now tell me again about magnetic fields created by inductive charging.

dispatch

May 28, 2008
I have a question for people that don't have the slipping problem. Does your phone stop daydreaming after the phone is fully charged for a while, like overnight? Really like the feature as a clock on my night stand.

No. Yes. Sometimes. Really... I use mine on my nightstand and use the 'clock' daydream. Sometimes when I wake up it's daydreaming, sometimes it's not, and sometimes I wake up to my alarm (obviously foils the 'test'). I also believe the orb to behave in a similar manner to the LG charger -- charge to 100%, then let go down to ~95%, then charge again. So between my half-awakened state, the alarm foiling the tests, and unknown charging parameters and if daydream will kick off then back on based on QI charging, I can't say for sure.

Now I feel like I shouldn't have replied. ;) Anyone else have a similar/different experience?

Reactions: reddv1

supercluver

Nov 19, 2005
Austin, TX
Mine is slipping too

I received my wireless charger on Friday, the 15th, as I ordered the day it became available. I noticed almost immediately that the phone was slipping off. I've tried everything I can think of since then to get it to not slip. Clean the back of the phone, clean the orb, apply pressure, etc, etc.... No matter what it slips off after just a few minutes and stops charging.

So I just called Google Play store support for Devices. Just got off the phone with them, and in fact just received my RMA email and Return Label Email. They didn't even question it, I described the problem and was immediately transferred to the RMA department. From there they verified my info and sent the emails. It was simple and fast, and honestly a near perfect experience. I was on hold maybe 2 minutes.

If you are having trouble, get it RMA'ed. And if you have trouble with that keep calling? But for ~$70 after shipping the phone should at least stay on the damn charger.

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
Now tell me again about magnetic fields created by inductive charging.

Okay then, a little more about the magnetic fields created by inductive charging. The field strength approaches zero outside the system: the field created by the charger and the field created induced current in the phone are nearly identically inverse, resulting in an attraction between the coils and a negation everywhere else. This is why your phone can charge so fast with QI. Further, the phone's coil is nearer the orb's coil than the sensor that app utilizes, unless the sensor is in between the two coils, it won't detect much of anything. So again I'll say

Clearly you don't understand inductive charging.

feedhead

Dec 18, 2009
Sioux Falls
Okay then, a little more about the magnetic fields created by inductive charging. The field strength approaches zero outside the system: the field created by the charger and the field created induced current in the phone are nearly identically inverse, resulting in an attraction between the coils and a negation everywhere else. This is why your phone can charge so fast with QI. Further, the phone's coil is nearer the orb's coil than the sensor that app utilizes, unless the sensor is in between the two coils, it won't detect much of anything. So again I'll say

Ok, let do another fun test.
Place a tissue over charger. Put your phone on and make sure you have activated the inductive charging. How much magnetic pull do you feel?

Reactions: yaworski

Psyclism

Nov 26, 2010
I purchased three orbs the first day they were available, and started using all of them after they were delivered this past Friday. I purchased one for my office, one for my home office and one for my bedside table. All three have, for the most part, worked flawlessly. No slippage from any of them, and none of the environments they're being used in could be considered "dust free". In fact, this morning, I looked at the face of the Orb in the bedroom and it was covered in lint. However, the phone continues to stick to the charger just fine. No issues at all.

I'm NOT using the phone bare. It's always in a Ringke Slim case. I'm also running an AOKP 4.2.2 rom.

As far as using the phone as a desktop clock, the Orb is working better than any other inductive charger I've tried. And I've tried many of them including the flat LG, the Panasonic, and a couple of cheapies off of eBay. They would always shut off charging, which made the phone think it'd been unplugged and turn off the clock/daydream mode. Some (like the LG) would restart charging once the battery hit a certain point, most of the others wouldn't. The Orb, however, will shut off charging but the phone will continue to think it's being charged so that Daydream doesn't turn off. The charge level, according to Battery Monitor Widget, will get to about 96% before charging fires up again. Battery Monitor Widget also confirms that the screen stays on the entire time. Basically behaving exactly like it would if it were charged directly into a USB cable.

Now, everything hasn't been entirely trouble free. Yesterday after I woke up, I browsed the web for about an hour before putting the phone back on the charger once I started to get ready for work. No matter what I tried, the phone would register as charging but wouldn't actually accept a current. The percentage kept dropping. So I went to work and plopped the phone on my work Orb. Same thing. It'd occasionally charge for a few minutes then go right back into draining the battery. Phone sat on the Orb all day, and went from ~90% when I got to work to about 20% around 4pm (the screen stayed on virtually the entire time because the phone THOUGHT it was charging). So, in a panic, I plugged the phone into USB to make sure it had enough juice to get me through the night. Once it got to about 70%, I unplugged it and put it back on the Orb. And to my astonishment, the phone started charging and kept charging, just like it's supposed to. I haven't had that issue since, but it's almost like the charging mechanism needed to be "primed" to allow inductive charging to function.

I'd noticed similar behavior before using the LG pad as my bedside charger (which is why I stopped using it and instead used a USB powered dock). Haven't had that issue with the Orb since, and the fact that the Orb is usb powered means you always have a backup charging mechanism in a pinch.. which can't be said for most of the other chargers that rely on a proprietary plug.

Overall I'm quite happy with the Orb, and I'll continue to use it in all three locations exclusively.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdh007 and reddv1

nba1341

Feb 13, 2011
San Bernardino, California
Why are you guys debating the fact if there is magnetic field or not (Or I guess its just that guy who is trying to prove to xda he is a magnet expert?)

the point is the phone slips off the charger and is not held on with force by a magnet and the stock sticky pad is not that great.

Grievous Angel

Feb 20, 2013
Registered to echo complaints

Have an S3 myself but just got the Nexus 4 and wireless charger for the wife. It slips off. What a piece of garbage.

Will be sending it back.

It relies on "sticky friction" to keep it in place. Even for those not having problems--how long will it be before we all are? Could be just a matter of time. These things are pretty new, after all. Maybe if I can jury rig it somehow I'll keep it--but really, I shouldn't have to for a 60 dollar charger.

And if the answer is to keep it completely clean and sterile every time I use it, doesn't that completely negate the convenience of using it? Screw that . . just plug it in.

I'm very disappointed.

Last edited:

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
I have the LG, Energizer, and now the orb. Best bang for the buck, IMO is the LG charger. Looks cleaner but doesn't angle the phone without being creative like using a tablet stand to hold the LG charger and then the phone will just lay on top of it vertically.

However, having the orb, it does look cool on my desk. The footprint of the orb is really small compared to the LG. For now my LG is at home on the nightstand, the poor Energizer is now stowed away for travel and the Orb is sitting on my desk at work. And for the Energizer, a naked Nexus 4 will def slip off because of it's smooth surface. It literally hydroplanes off the charger. And the Energizer is angled downward as well so having a case or even a back protector will be a must when using the Energizer charger.

Does my orb slip? No. Sux that others have that issue. Not sure why.

Glad to hear this. Almost went for the orb but went with the LG charging mat instead. Just could not pull the trigger on $70 with tax and shipping for the orb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
Why are you guys debating the fact if there is magnetic field or not (Or I guess its just that guy who is trying to prove to xda he is a magnet expert?)

the point is the phone slips off the charger and is not held on with force by a magnet and the stock sticky pad is not that great.

I haven't been follwing this thread for a few pages/days so I may be behind. I'm not sure if the phone held on by mangetism but I know about induction. When you have induction there is a magnetic field but it may not nessasarily cause attraction, just induce electric current into the object or, battery in this case. I'm not a expert on magnetism, it's just something I had to learn about in my carreer field and, I think it's interesting.

I agree and think the tacky material on the orb is the primary holding force. My phone started slipping after not having problems before and I cleaned it and the charging orb with an alcohol-free LCD cleaner. It works fine now.

The tacky rubber of the orb collects dust very easily and seems to need cleaning once in awhile.

Reactions: USSENTERNCC1701E

Grievous Angel

Feb 20, 2013
I agree and think the tacky material on the orb is the primary holding force. My phone started slipping after not having problems before and I cleaned it and the charging orb with an alcohol-free LCD cleaner. It works fine now.

The tacky rubber of the orb collects dust very easily and seems to need cleaning once in awhile.

Once in awhile? These things just came out. Mine is three days old. If this is the norm, then the charger--whose value proposition is convenience--really offers no value at all.

Might as well just plug it in.

Edit: I cleaned it and it is pretty sticky now. Hopefully it was just "dirty" out of the box and won't require cleaning every 3 days.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **issue resolved**

Hi Everyone, I'm new here but have been pulling my hair out on this issue. I have 2 nexus 4's and 2 orbs and both HAD this problem. Here is how I resolved it and maintained the factory look and function.

1) Turn orb over so the charging face is down toward the surface.
    2) there is a rubber ring on the bottom (Now Facing up if you followed the last step) designed to keep the orb from slipping. It is held on with sticky tape.
    3) Remove ring - (Pull on the thickest side straight up - be sure to limit finger contact as much as possible with the sticky as you will be reusing this.
    4) Use a blade to remove the 2 tiny tabs which previously lined up into the holes in the orb
    5) Turn ring (rotate clockwise) 180 degrees so the thick part is where the thin part use to be -you will see the two holes are now visible
    6) Press the ring back into place.

DONE!

This mod reduces the RAKE (Drop over distance) just slightly. Your drag coefficient increases slightly, therefor no slippy.

If I was smarter I'd post a video, but i don't know how....... Remember, this was my idea though....... :)

Ryan
    I've been having trouble with this as well (even after cleaning both the back of the phone and the charger itself). But I'm a lucky bastard who has a 3D printer available to me at my workplace, so I designed a cradle for the charger to stop this from happening.

You can have one too if you have access to a 3D printer. Looks like I don't have enough reputation/karma/whatever yet to post the URL here, but go to Thingiverse and search for "nexus 4 charging orb cradle", it'll be thing #59441, posted by markshroyer. You can get the STL file there, or click on the GitHub link to download the OpenSCAD code.
    You idiots. There is NO magnetic pull to this charger!! It contains none! it's just really f%$#in grippy!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Clearly you don't understand inductive charging. The coil in the charger creates a magnetic field, which induces a current in the coil in the phone. Even if charger does not contain a permanent ferromagnet, or the phone; the two coils still become magnetic because of the current in the coils. Don't call people idiots when you are ignorant yourself. It may not be a significant force, but it is non-zero.
    Here's a fix...use your USB plugins to charge your phone. Problem solved.

Here's a fix for dying... Be dead. Once you are dead, you can't die again! Problem solved.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Keep it covered when your phone isn't on it

I've gone through two orbs with both starting to slip after about five days of use. I'm not using a case for the phone and the glass back is in direct contact with the orb. When dust settled on the orb ring, causing less friction, I cleaned it off using packing tape. I've heard a good lint roller does the trick as well. As long as I set the phone with the induction coils lined up, I don't get any slippage now. For reference, the bottom of the volume rocker is lined up with the top edge of the orb. I also did that mod of the ring on the bottom of the orb to reduce the pitch by 5 degrees.

To minimize dust maintenance for the orb, I now have the routine of placing something over the orb ring after I remove my phone from the charger. I started with a used gift card, and now use a plastic playing card from a deck I no longer use. Voila! The orb ring has minimal exposure to the dust particles in the air.

IMG_20130419_005800.jpg

I've also found that the lid to a can of tennis balls fits perfectly over the orb. I plan to use this method when I take the orb on travel.

IMG_20130402_233055.jpg