Nexus 5 Bootloop - can't even pass bootloader screen

Search This thread

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Hi All!

Today is a very unfortunate day for me.

I was viewing whatsapp and all of a sudden my phone turned off, turned back on and it has been rebooting ever since.

I have tried all possible troubleshooting steps to see why it is happening but I can't even get into other screens like recovery, bootloader because it restarts right away.

Had a chat with Google and they wanted me to send my old phone and place a hold in my credit card -blablabla.

Obviously when they receive my defective Nexus, they will see the bootloader screen with an UNLOCKED icon.

That will be bad for me - because they could charge me money for a new device (the one they are sending ahead).

I would rather wait for the Nexus 6 instead of repaying for my defective 5.

Is there a way to maybe force it to be locked again before I send it in?

I have one of those JTAG connectors and I was just wondering if it will make any sense if I try that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
It sounds like your power button is stuck. Mash it a number of times and see if that frees it up.

Also, if you have a case take it off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: keplenk

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
I actually initially though it was the power button so I removed the case check and mashed it a lot but how it turns of turns ON doesn't make sense because if the power button is stuck usually you have to wait 3-4 seconds before it turns off.

The behavior is like this - Google Splash screen, 1 second pause, vibrate, turn off - Google Slash Screen, 1 second pause - NON stop.

Still it could be possible but I'm hoping they wont charge me anything if they send me a new phone. I would rather wait for the Nexus 6.

They actually asked me if I was rooted and I said NO. There was a chat log on it. Oh well.

fldude2k1

Oct 31, 2010
I had a similar problem and I think it was the power button as well. I RMA'd it but I kept smacking the crap out of the back of the phone and around the area of the power button. I noticed it'd start getting further through the boot process and eventually I was able to get it to boot all the way through and actually stay. I guess I smacked it hard enough to knock out the button, but I still went with the RMA anyways.

Maybe try smacking it around and see if it stays on longer?

Reactions: keplenk

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
I had a similar problem and I think it was the power button as well. I RMA'd it but I kept smacking the crap out of the back of the phone and around the area of the power button. I noticed it'd start getting further through the boot process and eventually I was able to get it to boot all the way through and actually stay. I guess I smacked it hard enough to knock out the button, but I still went with the RMA anyways.

I think you are all right. Now that I got home and observed it more. It is a stuck power button! I'll try to smack around it and have the bootloader locked in again and RMA it.

Do you think once they see it is being rooted, they will void the warranty even though it is obviously a power button issue?

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
I think you are all right. Now that I got home and observed it more. It is a stuck power button! I'll try to smack around it and have the bootloader locked in again and RMA it.

Do you think once they see it is being rooted, they will void the warranty even though it is obviously a power button issue?

Holy $hit I cant believe it! I smacked it like a crazy person and it worked!!!

I'm going to wipe out everything and put it to stock!!! and still RMA it yohooooo

Reactions: Pain-N-Panic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It sounds like your power button is stuck. Mash it a number of times and see if that frees it up.

Also, if you have a case take it off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
    Yup, seems to be an hardware problem with the power button.

By the way, if you can't fix it : Seems that Google doesn't care about unlocked bootloader if it's an hardware fault :)

Holy $hit I cant believe it! I smacked it like a crazy person and it worked!!!

I'm going to wipe out everything and put it to stock!!! and still RMA it yohooooo