[Q] Touchwiz freezing stock firmware not rooted

Search This thread

rhesus98

Jul 23, 2010
I upgraded to the S5 with JUMP and for the first week had no issues. However, over the past 2 weeks, touchwiz stops responding and freezes at random times. The only way to reset the phone is by battery pull. The shutdown menu pops up when I hold the power button, but the touchscreen doesn't respond to my command to reboot or shutdown. I can launch google now and Svoice by the home button, but neither app understands the restart phone command.

Google Now: "restart" and "restart phone" commands search for restart on the google search engine
Svoice: "restart" - There is nothing to restart, "restart phone" searched web, "reboot" replies: "OK, cancelled"

Over the past 3 days the freezing happens daily, and today it happened twice. Getting a bit frustrated

I did not root the phone, not knowing if there will be a fix to reset Knox (kind of defeats the purpose of subscribing to Jump if I have to pay an additional $175 to Assurance and half of the value of the phone ($330 + $175) for the next upgrade next year.

I'm thinking some of the bloatware has to do with this. I'm using "autorun manager" to minimize the number of apps that autostart but without a rooted phone some apps can't be stopped from starting up.

Phone has all official available OTA updates and has not been modified..... yet..... kinda losing my patience, first apps can't write to extSD card, now this... pulling battery in front of my iphone user friends...... didn't have these issues my previously rooted galaxy phones once I got rid of the crapware..

Any thoughts?

dpshptl

Jan 26, 2011
Why not just send it in for warranty if it's past the 14 days?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

xxjrsmith3xx

Aug 15, 2011
Corona
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I upgraded to the S5 with JUMP and for the first week had no issues. However, over the past 2 weeks, touchwiz stops responding and freezes at random times. The only way to reset the phone is by battery pull. The shutdown menu pops up when I hold the power button, but the touchscreen doesn't respond to my command to reboot or shutdown. I can launch google now and Svoice by the home button, but neither app understands the restart phone command.

Google Now: "restart" and "restart phone" commands search for restart on the google search engine
Svoice: "restart" - There is nothing to restart, "restart phone" searched web, "reboot" replies: "OK, cancelled"

Over the past 3 days the freezing happens daily, and today it happened twice. Getting a bit frustrated

I did not root the phone, not knowing if there will be a fix to reset Knox (kind of defeats the purpose of subscribing to Jump if I have to pay an additional $175 to Assurance and half of the value of the phone ($330 + $175) for the next upgrade next year.

I'm thinking some of the bloatware has to do with this. I'm using "autorun manager" to minimize the number of apps that autostart but without a rooted phone some apps can't be stopped from starting up.

Phone has all official available OTA updates and has not been modified..... yet..... kinda losing my patience, first apps can't write to extSD card, now this... pulling battery in front of my iphone user friends...... didn't have these issues my previously rooted galaxy phones once I got rid of the crapware..

Any thoughts?

Hey man do you happen to have ART as runtime system?

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
Don't know if you have power saving on.. if you do it restricts the cpu depending on if you have it set up that way and sometimes, at least for me when I was on stock, the phone would run horrible. BUT, you could have a faulty software if you did the official Ota update.. sometimes things go wrong, very rarely though.

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona

I thought about it for a long time: to root, or not to root. I'm also on the JUMP program, and I'm planning to turn in my device after 1yr, whenever The Next Big Thing is Here™. I'm banking on them taking my warranty-void (KNOX-tripped) hardware for the trade, and they had better not give me any grief about it.

My reasoning? After 1yr, the warranty is expired anyway. After 1 year, it should make no difference whether the warranty is void, expired, or never present to begin with. If the handset is in good working order (e.g. the typical no-liquid-or-physical-damage-and-powers-on), then I expect they'll take it back.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you do the same, but I figured I'd share my reasoning. ;)

rhesus98

Jul 23, 2010
I thought about it for a long time: to root, or not to root. I'm also on the JUMP program, and I'm planning to turn in my device after 1yr, whenever The Next Big Thing is Here™. I'm banking on them taking my warranty-void (KNOX-tripped) hardware for the trade, and they had better not give me any grief about it.

My reasoning? After 1yr, the warranty is expired anyway. After 1 year, it should make no difference whether the warranty is void, expired, or never present to begin with. If the handset is in good working order (e.g. the typical no-liquid-or-physical-damage-and-powers-on), then I expect they'll take it back.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you do the same, but I figured I'd share my reasoning. ;)

To root or not to root. That's a great question. I have seen some posts about this and whether folks have been able to return a modded phone. Some posts claim they can but these companies are looking for a reason not to exchange the phone or for a reason to make you pay more money. I think it's naive to think that Tmobile hasn't caught on to it and a big leap of faith to assume they're not going to make you pay for a modded phone. With the galaxy S4 that was not an issue (I never accepted the knox update). It seems like the Note 3 has a software mod for resetting the knox counter. If this could be found for the galaxy, then I'm all ready for the root. Otherwise I guess I'll just be patient and wait it out.

Just to provide an update, I looked at my free storage and it was only 1GB (had offline storage of a reference book)
I deleted a bunch of files and freed up total of 3 Gigs. It hasn't crashed yet..

Another gripe at Samsung and Google: The former for only offering 16GB (this was not an issue with the GSIII) and at Google who by not allowing apps to write to external card have limited the usefulness of using an external card for data storage.

I'll update to post to indicate that this may have been a limited storage issue or if it recurs, I'll probably end up trying to uninstall Autorun