[Q] Light Bleed?

Search This thread

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
I've seen some of you have said there is some 'bleeding of light' what does that mean actually? Are there holes in the casing or is it something with the screen? And how bad is it?

Edited to add: Despite the troll, a few people here have reported this problem first hand - however it appears to be small, so hopefully they got a rotten apple.

Last edited:

djklmnop

Feb 22, 2011
San Diego
Having replaced my own LCD backlight, I can speak to it.

Basically the LED lamp sits on the very bottom of the tablet illuminating the tablet from the back (hence backlit), the light is supposed to be contained but sometimes the lamp housing may contain gaps and light will leak through those gaps. They appear as light flares across the above layers.

If you google Ipad 2 light leaks and view Images, you can see a great deal of reports with sample images of the symptom.

I'm not quite sure why companies don't just employ a rubber gasket or flap around the lamp housing to get a good light seal.

cjwilber

Mar 7, 2006
I havent read any reports anywhere of anyone posting LCD issues with the transformer :confused:

There was a comment on one of the android forums.
I noticed it when I first switched on my device, but it was late at night in a very dark room, and brightness was on full. I have brightness set to auto now, and I have never noticed this again.

I am very intolerant of defects such as this, so if I am not seeing it, it's fair to say there isn't a problem. Of course that's just my opinion, but I really don't think it is an issue.

Hold on a moment .......OK, I've just gone and stood in a dark room, and brought up the Gallery App, because it has a dark border. No backlight bleed obvious until I turned the brightness up to maximum, at which point there was a vague semi-circle of backlight just to the right of the keyboard dock. Turning the brightness down to a sensible level solved the problem.

Hope this reassures you. I should perhaps point out that I have no affiliation with Asus, or Google, and no vested interested in device sales.

HideYoKids

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I havent read any reports anywhere of anyone posting LCD issues with the transformer :confused:

It's pretty rare I think. I've only read it on a couple of occasions and as far as I know it's the only physical issue with the tablet. Everyone keeps raving about it's build quality. So, if there is any light leak in mine (when I eventually get it) I'm swapping it. Just another reason to try it in the store :)

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
Basically the LED lamp sits on the very bottom of the tablet illuminating the tablet from the back (hence backlit), the light is supposed to be contained but sometimes the lamp housing may contain gaps and light will leak through those gaps. They appear as light flares across the above layers.

I'm afraid I don't understand that - what LED lamp (singular)? I thought whole panel was made up of tons of small "lamps" lighting up?

If you google Ipad 2 light leaks and view Images, you can see a great deal of reports with sample images of the symptom.

I'm not quite sure why companies don't just employ a rubber gasket or flap around the lamp housing to get a good light seal.

Ah that is the problem. Yeah i have that on my computer monitor :-/

Hope there isn't a lot of that on the transformer

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008

The very first thread here, where people were asking for this forum to be made, there were a few people who said theirs had bleed (and a few others said the sound was uneven in playback, one side very loud the other low)
I haven't seen much, so perhaps its only a few unlucky people.

The very first thread here, where people were asking for this forum to be made, there were a few people who said theirs had bleed (and a few others said the sound was uneven in playback, one side very loud the other low)
I haven't seen much, so perhaps its only a few unlucky people.

It was two people as they quoted 'has anyone' and 'i heard that there was' :rolleyes: in other words the first person might have had it, but hasn't said anything since, the other person has heard a 'rumour' :rolleyes:

I'm seeing a connection here between 'tablets' and 'tabloid' newspapers.

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
It was two people as they quoted 'has anyone' and 'i heard that there was' :rolleyes:

No, spare me your rolleyes crap. It was people saying: My device has this problem. And some saying I'm returning it.

I've been reading a ton of sites about this device, and may have gotten confused about which site i read it on, but clearly there is no mistake when people say they have the problem, so don't accuse people of lying.

It certainly is mentioned here http://android.modaco.com/content/asus-eee-pad-transformer-transformer-modaco-com/336683/eee-pad-transformers-owners-thread-14-04-2011-first-post-updated/

"I had started to noticed light on my screen that shouldn't be there. This obviously is a backlight bleeding problem. ... the manager then took a look in the dark and he noticed it and said it was a fault with the screen and I can get a replacement."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14430336-post46.html

"Screen. Some light bleed unfortunately (this is also being reported by other users on XDA forums/Modaco etc) - not a deal breaker, but it is there.. admittedly only noticable when using at night... Still great images though. "

(So he's probably not returning it)

in other words the first person might have had it, but hasn't said anything since, the other person has heard a 'rumour' :rolleyes:

No, in other words: You probably make up stuff all the time and think everybody else does. Stop that.

I'm seeing you on my ignore list.

Last edited:
Reactions: HideYoKids

Putzy

Oct 18, 2010
London
I have a little bit of light bleed about 1.5" up on the right hand side of the screen... It's about the size of a 5p coin.

I'm not going to worry about getting anything done about it I don't think. I only notice in in the settings screen, and I'm rarely in there. When I'm in portrait mode, I just see it as a 'glow' on the taskbar.

Reactions: Kermode

djklmnop

Feb 22, 2011
San Diego
I'm afraid I don't understand that - what LED lamp (singular)? I thought whole panel was made up of tons of small "lamps" lighting up?

Ah yes, you're right. Was thinking Flouro. In any case, light is leaking :) reflecting off small gaps from the edges and into the upper layers.

Have you ever tried to completely seal out all light out of a room? It is insanely difficult and amazing how much gets through.

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
I have a little bit of light bleed about 1.5" up on the right hand side of the screen... It's about the size of a 5p coin.

I'm not going to worry about getting anything done about it I don't think. I only notice in in the settings screen, and I'm rarely in there. When I'm in portrait mode, I just see it as a 'glow' on the taskbar.

One guy said his disappeared when he turned down the brightness of the device.

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
Ah yes, you're right. Was thinking Flouro. In any case, light is leaking :) reflecting off small gaps from the edges and into the upper layers.

Have you ever tried to completely seal out all light out of a room? It is insanely difficult and amazing how much gets through.

No I haven't :) I generally don't blank out all light and watch stuff that way so I guess i'm ok (incidentally I hear that is bad for the eyes, watching tv in a totally dark room, but that's another talk)

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
lights - plural? So more than one, right?

Typicaly there are two light sources - at the bottom and at the top of the screen (or on the left and on the right - my LCD monitor has it that way). Sometimes there is only one source - on the bottom mostly.

I'm not sure about this but as far as I know LED backlight works the same way - it's only at the top or bottom in most displays. Some better LCD TVs with LED backlight have more LEDs behind the screen - but it's pricy to do so I doubt tablets will have it that way.

markteacher

Apr 15, 2011
I have a reasonable amount of light bleed on my Transformer. Areas on the horizontal and vertical near the home button.

In addition, a couple of spots on the right hand side vertical.

No major drama, called Comet and they are sending me a replacement, though not until next Thursday when they predict they will have more stock, though given what I have been reading today on various sites, that date could slip a little. Doesn't matter though, my replacement request is logged and will happen when it happens.

On the down side, by the time I get a replacement I will have spent ages getting it just how I want it.

On the up side, I get to have all the fun of setting it up again.

On a side note, having cancelled a preorder for a Xoom through PCWorld and bought the Transformer, I finally got to play with the Xoom on the shelf today.

Definitely made the right decision.
The Transformer just feels better made, and despite the fact that the Xoom has excellent viewing angles, the screen is not a patch on the Transformer, oh, and did I mention the small fact of 100 quid!

Kermode

Aug 9, 2008
The reason I started to asks about this is because I'm a bit skittish about light bleed, having once had a monitor and the store just thinking i was nuts "there is nothing wrong with this monitor its just you" - thanks a lot! Humpf.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There was a comment on one of the android forums.
    I noticed it when I first switched on my device, but it was late at night in a very dark room, and brightness was on full. I have brightness set to auto now, and I have never noticed this again.

I am very intolerant of defects such as this, so if I am not seeing it, it's fair to say there isn't a problem. Of course that's just my opinion, but I really don't think it is an issue.

Hold on a moment .......OK, I've just gone and stood in a dark room, and brought up the Gallery App, because it has a dark border. No backlight bleed obvious until I turned the brightness up to maximum, at which point there was a vague semi-circle of backlight just to the right of the keyboard dock. Turning the brightness down to a sensible level solved the problem.

Hope this reassures you. I should perhaps point out that I have no affiliation with Asus, or Google, and no vested interested in device sales.
    It was two people as they quoted 'has anyone' and 'i heard that there was' :rolleyes:

No, spare me your rolleyes crap. It was people saying: My device has this problem. And some saying I'm returning it.

I've been reading a ton of sites about this device, and may have gotten confused about which site i read it on, but clearly there is no mistake when people say they have the problem, so don't accuse people of lying.

It certainly is mentioned here http://android.modaco.com/content/asus-eee-pad-transformer-transformer-modaco-com/336683/eee-pad-transformers-owners-thread-14-04-2011-first-post-updated/

"I had started to noticed light on my screen that shouldn't be there. This obviously is a backlight bleeding problem. ... the manager then took a look in the dark and he noticed it and said it was a fault with the screen and I can get a replacement."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14430336-post46.html

"Screen. Some light bleed unfortunately (this is also being reported by other users on XDA forums/Modaco etc) - not a deal breaker, but it is there.. admittedly only noticable when using at night... Still great images though. "

(So he's probably not returning it)

in other words the first person might have had it, but hasn't said anything since, the other person has heard a 'rumour' :rolleyes:

No, in other words: You probably make up stuff all the time and think everybody else does. Stop that.

I'm seeing you on my ignore list.

I'm already on half light, any lower and the screen looks stupid.

I hear it disappears completely when you turn off the device :D
    I just got mine yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the light bleed. It is worst on the left edge toward the bottom and on the bottom edge in the center. It's most noticeable when the screen dark(er), but is still noticeable sometimes during general use.

In an ideal world, I would simple get a replacement, but it's next to impossible to get one right now in the US. I'd rather have the device and just try to overlook the problem, but I'll see how I feel after a few days of use.